Cambodia Nightlife 2016

duke007

Great find Sir Duke!   :yahoo:

This is a very high quality video; very appealing.

Brings back good memories.

Could comment on so much of the video but just two quick ones.

Shanghai Bar is a very well run bar only a minute from Heart of Darkness and Pontoon. They probably have the prettiest girls of any bars in Phnom Penh. But many do not go with customers. They are not prostitutes but very happy to flirt with customers in a pleasant air con setting and make 5 or 10 USD a day rather than working in a garment sweatshop for 5 dollars a day.

He is correct that there is no barfine, but last I heard the system was the girl could leave the abr if u spent 30 USD on food, drinks, or ladydrinks. No guarantee of sex though.

In Thailand, almost all the girls in a bar are barfineable although there are occasional complaints about Hello Girls. In eh Philippines there are complaints about Cherry Girls.  But in Cambodia, many girls don't go with customers.If your intention is abrfining best to establish early on whetehr or not she goes with customers.

Early in the video he recommends Sundance Guest House.  It has no lobby, no ID check, so it is very guest friendly. The reason why this is important is Cambodia's infrastructure is so bad that many ladyboys do not have a valid ID card.  Not such abig deal with ladies as they just borrow one from a friend. But if there's only one ladyboy in a bar, she can then only borrow from ladies so you could get knocked back at reception depending on your hotel.

Note, one forum member wasn't thrilled with dogshit that the staff couldn't be arsed to scoop up. And the pool is not suitable for laps though I guess better than no pool at all.   And teh stairs are steep. But if guest super friendly is your most important concern this is a good option at a good price.

Sundance

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/page-2?p=701#entry701

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, duke007 said:

Another terrific video imho, makes me want to go there  B)   

Lots of forum members have spent time on Street 172 between Street 13 and Street 19 where the opening of this video was shot.  This stretch is not a girly bar area but rather a good place to chill out and have some decent grub.

Lots of orumites have had plenty of good meals at La Dolce Vita and Blue Dolphin.

At the 53rd second of the video is Sundance Bar and Guersthouse. On the far right you'll see the private entrance to the guesthouse so no walk of shame through a lobby.

For more info on the Sundance:

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/page-2?p=701#entry701

• Upvote 1

Great little vid  but  am shocked to hear $50 is normal St for bar girls,   wow what happened  since my last visit,  how can it possibly be more expensive now  than LOS? Hate to think what the freelancers around Wat Phnom are charging  now

5 hours ago, globetrotter said:

Great little vid  but  am shocked to hear $50 is normal St for bar girls,   wow what happened  since my last visit,  how can it possibly be more expensive now  than LOS? Hate to think what the freelancers around Wat Phnom are charging  now

One can likely do a bit better than $50 especially with LBs. When I first went to PP in 2008 ST at hostess bars was US$20. Then somewhere around 2010-2011 it went to $30. The girls on streets 104 and 136 put up a unified front and I couldn't even bargain them down to $25. Now $40-50 is not unusual especially for a hottie although sometimes those are just starting prices. But prices were up during my March trip compared to my trip two years earlier. I did take one LB out a hostess bar for $30. She had asked for more.

I now think PP is more expensive than Pattaya. When I first started going to PP the US$ was only 29 baht to the dollar. ST was US$20 (580 baht). Now with the US$ at 35+ even if I can get $30 ST at a hostess bar that is 1050 baht. And at $40 it's 1400 baht ST. 

I still like PP for a short trip. The change of pace is still fun for a week or so but it is no longer a bargain IMO. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

One can likely do a bit better than $50 especially with LBs. When I first went to PP in 2008 ST at hostess bars was US$20. Then somewhere around 2010-2011 it went to $30. The girls on streets 104 and 136 put up a unified front and I couldn't even bargain them down to $25. Now $40-50 is not unusual especially for a hottie although sometimes those are just starting prices. But prices were up during my March trip compared to my trip two years earlier. I did take one LB out a hostess bar for $30. She had asked for more.

I now think PP is more expensive than Pattaya. When I first started going to PP the US$ was only 29 baht to the dollar. ST was US$20 (580 baht). Now with the US$ at 35+ even if I can get $30 ST at a hostess bar that is 1050 baht. And at $40 it's 1400 baht ST. 

I still like PP for a short trip. The change of pace is still fun for a week or so but it is no longer a bargain IMO. 

How about the price of hotels  of a similar standard in Pattaya vs PP ? 

14 minutes ago, globetrotter said:

How about the price of hotels  of a similar standard in Pattaya vs PP ? 

Easy to find a decent inexpensive guesthouse in Pattaya but not so much in PP. At least for the occasional traveler. I pay more to stay at a decent place near the action just off the riverside. But I'm more likely to pay a little more for one week compared to staying in Pattaya for months.

You can get some fairly cheap accommodations like Indochine 2 but very boxy white wall rooms. Tonle Sap Guest House located amid the bars on 104 still is US$20 (700 baht) for a basic (well worn) room I think. The bed is a bit smaller than a queen size and you have to march your date through a big bar downstairs. Popular place with the Aussies and can be somewhat hard to book in high season. pdoggg might have better info on PP.  I give Pattaya the advantage here also but maybe because I know it better.    

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Easy to find a decent inexpensive guesthouse in Pattaya but not so much in PP. At least for the occasional traveler. I pay more to stay at a decent place near the action just off the riverside. But I'm more likely to pay a little more for one week compared to staying in Pattaya for months.

You can get some fairly cheap accommodations like Indochine 2 but very boxy white wall rooms. Tonle Sap Guest House located amid the bars on 104 still is US$20 (700 baht) for a basic (well worn) room I think. The bed is a bit smaller than a queen size and you have to march your date through a big bar downstairs. Popular place with the Aussies and can be somewhat hard to book in high season. pdoggg might have better info on PP.  I give Pattaya the advantage here also but maybe because I know it better.    

Last time I was  there (3 years ago I think)  the Lbs were still relatively  few and far between and I'm  guessing that hasn't changed  much so I'm  sure   Pattaya wins hands  down again  in that  regard as well

• 1 month later...

G Pub in Golden Sorya Mall (GSM) is an after hours bar with no barfines.   Bargirls go there after their bar closes in the hope of snagging a customer.   Opens at 2AM and goes to the wee hours.    Usually a few ladyboys hanging out there.

If you are walking on the left side of Street 51 going from Street 172 towards Street 154, maybe about 10 or 15 meters from Street 172, you'll see a little alleyway headed into  GSM.  You'll soon see a beauty salon on the right and it's just across a different alleyway from the beauty salon.  

I haven't been at G Pub this trip but was just poking around GSM after dinner because I had forgotten the name of this bar.

It's extremely close to Pontoon on Street 172 and Heart of Darkness on Street 51.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

G Pub in Golden Sorya Mall (GSM) is an after hours bar with no barfines.   Bargirls go there after their bar closes in the hope of snagging a customer.   Opens at 2AM and goes to the wee hours.    Usually a few ladyboys hanging out there.

Brilliant! That's just what I wanted to hear, PDoggg.... Wasn't expecting this upcoming trip to become a nocturn.... But if needs must :good:

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2016 at 4:10 PM, xyzzy said:

I now think PP is more expensive than Pattaya

I agree.

The two exceptions would be draft beer and cigarettes.

There'a restaurant I eat at quite a bit on 172 called Happy Pizza. Very nice owners and the food is inexpensive compared to other joints on 172.  Draft beer is only 50 cents all day, all night long, so it's a good place to drink with mates.

But I'm spending more on food in PP because I'm eating mostly Western food.

You get more for your money in Pattaya with regard to hotels.

As far as ladies and ladies Pattaya has such an abundance of freelancers that you never have to pay a barfine unless you want to. In PP this is not really the case.  Quite a small selection of ladyboys and most of them work in the bars. If one pays their $30 asking price plus a $10 barfine that's 40 bucks which might be chump change to a guy on holiday but a budget denter for expats. Plus you've probably bought a couple beers for yourself and a ladydrink.  Compares quite poorly to the street price of $15 for ladyboys in Angeles City. 

Although there are happy hour specials the standard price of a beer in a hostess bar is $1.50 and the standard price for a ladydrink is $3.50.

Phnom Penh has its charm and it's worth checking out. But it's not a bargain and their aren't that many ladyboys.

I concur fully PDoggg... Although, the draught beer isn't particularly moorish either... So, that makes it more of a smokers paradise, than anything else, JMHO.

That said, by comparison the western styled meals do definitely stack up as really good value... But hey, I'm usually a street food eater, so I just ended up expanding my waistline & feeling weighed down with stodge, most of the time.

There's some real cuties around the bars, but has said, it's not cheap & the FL fare didn't do a lot for me, but there were a handful of LBs' that I'd really like an encounter with & I did leave with that feeling of 'unfinished business'.

It's got it's charms like the French colonialist architecture & baby monkeys dancing about on the roofs & balconies... & I most definitely now have a preference for Cambodians over Thais.

I'd love to share the record that I set in Phnom Penh... But I'm not sure that it's appropriate on an open forum, Pdoggg?

17 hours ago, SiamSam said:

I'd love to hear all about it Unc. 

17 hours ago, Luung said:

Best to ask PDogggie first, Sam... It might be a subject deemed inappropriate for the forum?

6 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

It's OK Unc.  :biggrin:

Ok... Confession, boast or report, not quite sure which it is, but here goes?...

The new 'main' stonner's bar in PP is a place called Shooters located by the night market on the riverfront (they've got another one in Sihanoukville), & apart from selling reefer, they have a fine array of ganga laced cookies & shots. The shots come from bottles that have sprigs/branches of ganga marinating away in them & they come in three strengths, ridiculously strong, stronger than that even, & outright fukin' mental.

Anyway, the local record for drinking the mental shots is nine & a half , which were consumed last year by some nutty Russian MMA fighter who had to keep pounding the hardwood bar, 'machine gun fashion', with his fists to stay focused until he finally folded & puked, not managing to get the final half a glass down. His girlfriend then carried/dragged him to his room & he wasn't seen for two days!

Well, unassuming me, actually managed to push down ten of these disabilitating  shots on a quiet night when I was meant to have met PDogggie, but declined because I was feeling under the weather... I honestly just wanted to buy a small handful of joints & then go back to the guest house to stay in the room, so as to recover & build up a bit of strength for the next bar crawl; but we all got talking about the challenge & some of the weird array of characters who had taken it up, including the governor himself who only managed six shots (the average).... And I just thought, fuck it, I'm going for it... AND DID.... I pushed down ten of these shots until it felt like my whole body was glowing & I was levitating a coupler of inches off the floor.

Now, admittedly I didn't raise the bar by much, but at fifty five years of age, I don't think it was too shabby!

I even ended up in a music bar afterwards with the staff from Scooters (It was like being out with Frank from the David Lynch film 'Blue Velvet', if anyone remembers that?), getting slaps on the back & beers bought, but admittedly folded & left before the the rest of them, declining offers to be walked home.

Man, I was twisted up myself for a couple of days afterwards... But hey, I'm a record breaker...

:yahoo:

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TEXASMAC said:

I just now want to go there to do 11. It is a Yankee thing

10 hours ago, TEXASMAC said:

I know I could do it, because since the gastric bypass I can drink a ton of liquor fast. But after 2 hours I need to be in bed.

55555555555... Go for it, records are there to be broken!

Just remember that it took years of honing myself physically, as well as mental preparation... Plus, abstinence... This is not to be undertaken lightly!

And by the way, I wouldn't think about downing the lot as quickly as you can, if i was you... That's the biggest mistake people make & it's how you'll completely twist your melon, man!

• 2 weeks later...