Duterte "The Punisher" New PI President

deleted

There's a new sheriff in the Philippines.

Philippines election: Anti-crime hardliner Duterte claims win

The official PPCRV poll monitor said the mayor of the southern city of Davao had more than 14.8m votes - about 39% - with 90% of ballots counted.

Manuel Roxas is in second place with 9m (23%). The winner is decided on a simple majority of votes cast.

Mr Duterte has been the long-time front-runner in a campaign also driven by the economy and corruption.

President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino is standing down as the constitution limits presidents to one six-year term. Filipinos are also picking a vice-president and local officials.

The Punisher

The PPCRV (Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting) is accredited by the election commission to monitor counting but its reporting does not represent an official tally.

But Mr Duterte told AFP news agency as his lead appeared unassailable: "It's with humility, extreme humility, that I accept this, the mandate of the people."

He said his law and order policy had been the key to his success.

"What I can promise you is that I will do my very best not just in my waking hours but even in my sleep," he said.

Mr Duterte has made many controversial statements during his campaign, saying that he would butcher criminals.

A former state prosecutor nicknamed "The Punisher", he has been mayor of Davao for more than 22 years.

He recently joked that, as mayor, he should have been first to rape an Australian missionary murdered in a prison riot, but he later apologised.

The election campaign has also focused on reforming the economy, infrastructure, and on the territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea.

Elections here are a cheerful, communal affair with large family groups or neighbours walking into the polling stations to vote together. The constant crowds coming in and out of the elementary school in Manila's Tondo district looked hard to manage. But election officials are well-practised, and voters well-informed.

Plenty of officials were on hand to help voters manage the formidable ballot sheets, listing in this constituency dozens of candidates for the various local and national posts. The enthusiasm across the age and class spectrum for Mr Duterte in this campaign has exposed the weariness of Filipinos with the familiar political faces, who have delivered some economic improvements but little real change in the levels of poverty and corruption.

Mr Duterte has suggested he will disregard democratic checks and balances if they get in the way of fixing the country's problems.

It's a message that has excited and attracted people. Yet the numbers coming to vote here, and the positive and relaxed atmosphere, show that the faith in the familiar rituals of democracy is still as strong here as anywhere in Asia.

This article makes The Punisher sound like The Donald!    :flirt2:

I thought Duterte was more like Bernie, an anti-corruption candidate.

Btw, the Philippines has sensible election laws regarding bar closures.  Filipinos can't drink on election day but foreigners can.   :drinks:

Be it the Philippines, Cambodia, or the USA, corruption both legal and illegal type, is what supports the ruling elite while the People suffer.

• Upvote 1

...Jet Ski's at the ready...Duterte is going to sort the Chinese out..

"Rodrigo Duterte, the tough-talking Davao City mayor who is leading Philippine presidential polls, said he will hold bilateral talks with China to resolve a territorial dispute in the South China Sea if the current multilateral discussions don't bear fruit within two years.

He also said he would ride a jet ski to a disputed island occupied by China and personally stake the Philippnes' claims."

I visited Davao City around 2009 and Duterte was the mayor. I remember the city being relatively clean and no stray dogs. I had a few casual chats with the locals and remarked that I like the fact that Davao was safe and no litter. They proudly gave the credit to Duterte for cleaning up the city- literally and figuratively.

I have no idea what will happen with regards to  mongering but since I'm not a thief, a drug dealer or involved in politics I think I'll be fine. Personally I don't care if there are cops posted on the street every 20 feet.

Duterte in fact makes no secret that he is a womanizer and doesn't shy away from Vitamin V, hehe.

• Upvote 2

Have been to Davao several times. It's a quiet town but there are clubs. You need to adjust your timing and go out earlier than you would normally and wrap up around midnight (a few places open until 1 am). In terms of LB mongering, it's essential to arrange in advance as there are no venues where you will consistenly find groups of LB's - you may get lucky but it's risky if you are heading there for only a few days. The upside is that the LB's there are largely free of the baggage you get with P4P.

• Upvote 2

Lets see how things will work out now that he is in command , it will sure be a good thing if the crime rate go down for us all that are a regular visitor and for the phillippino people at large , you will not believe how many rape case there is daily with the victims getting kill most of the time.....

Greetz , Stealth

More on the plans of "The Punisher" from today's Wall Street Journal. He is using Singapore as his paradigm to reshape the PI, I wonder what lies in store for places like Angeles or for ladyboys. I have mixed feelings since Davao is the most functional city in the PI & asses do need to be kicked in any number of places in the PI, but whose will be? 

The Philippines faces a more disciplined future under President-elect Rodrigo Duterte, who said Monday he would curb social freedoms to impose more order on this often unruly nation.

Elected a week ago on a tough law-and-order platform, Mr. Duterte told reporters in his home city of Davao that he was declaring a Singapore-style war on antisocial behavior, promising to ban smoking and drinking alcohol in public places, and to crack down on speeding and drunken driving. He pledged to restore the death penalty, which was suspended in 2006, and allow police to shoot on sight people suspected of involvement in organized crime.

Parents who allow their children out after a 10 p.m. curfew will be prosecuted for “negligence” and taxi drivers will be compelled to carry change to stamp out the common practice of overcharging passengers, Mr. Duterte said. He also promised to get tough on noise pollution so that people could get a good night’s sleep.

“These are the things I want to correct right at the beginning,” said Mr. Duterte, who will take office on June 30 after Congress ratifies the election results.

Filipinos elected Mr. Duterte by a large margin, according to unofficial results, handing the 71-year-old a single, six-year term.

While recognizing that some of his objectives, such as shifting the country to a federal system, would take years, he said improving everyday behavior could happen within weeks. Ridding the country of criminals and drug dealers should take less than six months, he said.

“Those who destroy the lives of our children will be destroyed; those who kill our country will be killed—simple as that,” he said, while pledging to restore the death penalty for serious crimes. Local neighborhoods will have armed security teams to maintain order, he said.

Mr. Duterte has already imposed many of his suggested restrictions on Davao, which he has run for three decades as mayor. Though taxi drivers still grumble about the 60 kilometer-an-hour (37-mile-an-hour) speed limit, many citizens in this city of roughly 1.5 million people seem comfortable enough with Mr. Duterte’s rules.

The president-elect also promised to improve his own behavior, having been heavily criticized during the election campaign for making tasteless jokes and swearing profusely. “I have to get used to being the top honcho,” he said.

Mr. Duterte was due to meet the Chinese, Israeli and Japanese ambassadors Monday, while continuing talks with prospective cabinet members as he assembles his executive team.

On Monday, he invited members of the Communist Party of the Philippines to apply for government posts, a show of faith he said would help end the decades-old Communist insurgency ahead of proposed peace talks.

He promised efficiency in government and an end to the corrupt practice of charging for the timely delivery of official permits, saying he would institute a 72-hour limit for the processing of any official papers. “People are made to wait [for permits] until they die—this has to change,” he said.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

Foreign woman's groups have taken aim at AC before. If they get a sympathetic ear in the president who knows what might happen.   

Duterte on women’s rights complaint: Go to hell    :shok:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/04/21/1575224/duterte-womens-rights-complaint-go-hell

But really who knows?  He seems a bit unpredictable, like Trump.

There's a few versions of the following story, but something like this happened to an Aussie tourist:

• 2 weeks later...

If i ever have to die by the hands of my enemy it`s better to leave this world looking in to the eyes of what we men find to be the most attractive of all , that was elected PI president ( Joking ) replay on the question of him selecting beauty queen ( Sofie Loren Deliu ) in to his personal guard and bodyguard special unit ) to the phillippine press......

Deliu - 2.jpg

Deliu.jpg

• 1 month later...

President-elect Rodrigo Duterte said the threat of death or impeachment will not stop him from fulfilling his campaign promises to stop crime and corruption.
In his last speech as mayor of Davao City on Monday, Duterte declared that he is willing to put his life and honor on the line and is ready to relinquish his post if he fails to deliver on his promises to the people.
“Impeachment? Go ahead! Walang problema sa akin . I will insist [on doing] what I promised to the people,” he said three days before assuming the presidency.
“Tutuparin ko ‘yan maski sagasaan ko maski na sino and I stake my honor, my life, and the presidency itself, even if I lose it. Pagka sinabi kong huminto kayo, huminto kayo . When I say you stop, you better stop],” Duterte added, apparently addressing the crooks in the government and the drug traffickers and other criminals.
He vowed that corruption will not be tolerated by his administration.
“I am hell-bent on stopping corruption. Ayaw ko talaga. ‘Yan ang tandaan ninyo kasi you’ll never get any help from me kung may kaso kayo ,” Duterte said in a warning seen directed at his chosen Cabinet officials.
He took potshots at Commission on Human Rights Chairman Chito Gascon for apparently siding with slain criminals.
“These human rights [groups], congressmen, how stupid you are,” the President-elect said as he highlighted their criticism of his plans to impose late-night curfew on children and to reintroduce death penalty.
“The problem is that they seem to treat [these criminals] like saints,” he added.
Duterte reiterated his stand in favor of capital punishment.
“You have to pay for the crime you did. If you murdered or raped a person, you have to die… You have to kill yourself,” he said.
For the hopeless
A number of successful programs he implemented in Davao City will be replicated all over the country, according to the outgoing mayor.
In particular, he said, government processes must be shortened and hastened.
“It pains me to see people from as far as Cotabato [a province in southern Mindanao] having to suffer long lines and waiting,” Duterte added.
He promised that his government will be for the “hopeless, helpless and defenseless,” citing threats posed by criminals on all peace-loving individuals.
“Do not threaten any government worker who is just doing his job,” Duterte said.
According to the incoming President, he was seriously thinking if he would proceed with ordering a liquor ban nationwide (starting at 1 a.m.) as he did in Davao City.
He defended the curfew for minors as a means to “protect the youth,” not harm them.
Critics of the plan, Duterte said, are “fools” who think that young children are being punished for being out on the streets late at night.
“We do that to protect them from harm… it’s their parents who should be punished for abandonment,” he pointed out.
Duterte also warned his Cabinet officials who plan to run for higher office not to campaign while they are still with his administration.
“Sabi ko sa mga the Cabinet members, ‘Do not launch a campaign here in the office. If [you plan on] running for a [higher] public office or if you have plans to whatever, do not do it here in my Cabinet,’” he said.
“Ayaw ko ‘yung nakaupo dito na magkandidato, kasi [I do not want incumbent officials to campaign from their offices because they will just use public funds and the time and the effort of government just to campaign to win,” Duterte added.
The 71-year-old President-elect said since his Cabinet is mostly composed of people near his own age, they should just retire at the end of his six-year term.
“Sabi ko ,we retire altogether,” he added.
The mayor said he has no intention of running for any position in 2022, the end of his single, six-year term.
“Tama na ito [This is enough], binigay ng Diyos ito [God gave me this],” he added.
Parting gift
Duterte faced his constituents in Davao City for the last time on Monday as mayor, a position he held for about three decades, and bade them farewell.
During flag-raising at the Davao City Hall, he thanked his supporters for the trust they have given him through the years, saying it was his unique leadership in the southern city that propelled him to the highest office in the land.
If it were not for Davao City, Duterte said, nobody would have known him.
It was there that he gained prominence for his tough stance against criminality, drugs and corruption.
As a parting gift, the outgoing mayor ordered the distribution of P10,000 educational assistance for city hall employees and units that worked under him.
“Just give the money directly to the wives,” he said, drawing laughter from the crowd.

http://www.manilatimes.net/i-stake-my-honor-my-life-to-fulfill-my-promises/270375/

• 2 months later...

MANILA, Philippines — An assassination plot against President Rodrigo Duterte was revealed Thursday by an aid of a smuggled gun parts business owner.

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa presented Wilford Palma after he and his boss Bryan Tala-ala were arrested for shipping, trading and selling smuggled gun parts from the United States.

Palma revealed to reporters that one of their regular customers told them, while transacting inside a mall, about their plan to kill Duterte. He continued that their longtime buyer ordered lower end parts consisting of 40 barrels, 30 bolts, more than 100 upper receivers, which could be assembled to around 100 M16 rifles.

http://www.philstar.com/2016/09/01/1619406/duterte-assassination-plot

MANILA, Philippines –  Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned President Barack Obama not to question him about extrajudicial killings, or "son of a bitch I will swear at you" when they meet in Laos during a regional summit.

Duterte said Monday before flying to Laos that he is a leader of a sovereign country and is answerable only to the Filipino people.

He said Obama must be respectful and not just throw questions at him, or else, "son of a bitch, I will swear at you in that forum."

Duterte was answering a reporter's question about how he intends to explain the extrajudicial killings in the Philippines to Obama. More than 2,000 suspected drug pushers and users have been killed since Duterte launched a war on drugs after taking office on June 30.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/09/05/philippines-leader-duterte-warns-obama-not-to-ask-him-about-extrajudicial-killings.html

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday expressed regret over his “son of a bitch” remark while referring to President Barack Obama.

In a statement read out by his spokesman, Duterte said his “strong comments” to certain questions by a reporter “elicited concern and distress, we also regret it came across as a personal attack on the US president.”

Duterte made the remarks Monday before flying to Laos, where he will attend a regional summit. He had been scheduled to meet Obama separately. But Obama indicated that he was having second thoughts about that meeting. Duterte said both sides mutually agreed to postpone the meeting.

Even though Duterte’s latest comment does not amount to an apology, the expression of regret is a rare instance when the tough-talking former mayor has expressed contrition for his remarks that often slide into profanity. “We look forward to ironing out differences arising out of national priorities and perceptions, and working in mutually responsible ways for both countries,” the statement said.

The flap over Duterte’s remarks started when a reporter asked him how he intends to explain the extrajudicial killings of drug dealers to Obama. More than 2,000 suspected drug pushers and users have been killed since Duterte launched a war on drugs after taking office on June 30.

In his typical foul-mouthed style, Duterte responded: “I am a president of a sovereign state and we have long ceased to be a colony. I do not have any master except the Filipino people, nobody but nobody. You must be respectful. Do not just throw questions. Putang ina I will swear at you in that forum,” he said, using the Tagalog phrase for “son of a bitch.”
Duterte has earlier cursed the pope and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

“Who is he (Obama) to confront me?” Duterte said, adding the Philippines had not received an apology from the United States for misdeeds committed during its colonization of the Philippines.

He pointed to the killing of Muslim Moros more than a century ago during a U.S. pacification campaign in the southern Philippines, blaming the wounds of the past as “the reason why (the south) continues to boil” with separatist insurgencies.

Last week, Duterte said he was ready to defend his bloody crackdown on illegal drugs, which has sparked concern from the US and other countries. Duterte said he would demand that Obama allow him to first explain the context of his crackdown before engaging the US president in a discussion of the deaths.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-news/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-regrets-son-of-a-bitch-remark-about-obama-3016028/

someone correct me, but my understanding from watching the news here in the PI is that what Du30 said might be more accurately translated as "son of a whore"--which for some reason sounds a lot more shitty to me than "son of a bitch" which i find myself saying at the least provocation, such as when i see yet another scantily-clad lb walking greenbelt and am forced to declare:

"son of a bitch, she's hot".:yahoo:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The sad fact is that they are killing ("they" being the police and the vigilantes) the small dealers and the users and so far, not the big boys and the kingpins.

However, no matter what you feel about this way of cleaning up their terrible drug problem, there is a much bigger danger of the police and vigilantes killing any legitimate opposition to the president as evidenced by his comment after the killing of a journalist:

"Just because you are a journalist, you are not exempted from assassination if you are a son of a bitch"

This month, they are remembering the imposition of martial law by Marcos; it is a distinct possibility that they may be going the same way again.

All very sad

• Upvote 1

The former Thai prime minister, Thaksin tried this. The Thailand drug problem was temporarily reduced, but has rebounded to even higher levels than before. The issue is killing drug dealers/drug users doesn't eliminate the demand for drugs. Also of course is that killing people on hearsay they are involved in drugs is a major problem. It doesn't justify the process if just one innocent person is killed due to false witness.