3G Phone Packages with Internet

duke007

First of all I have not been lazy and have searched for information on this subject already but with me being Alien to Smartphones its not easy for me   :blink: 

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 off Ebay as my old Nokia (pre Arthur Negus)

with a Thai sim card did not work last month

So basically I will use this smartphone in Pattaya on my next trip and everything will be hunky dory for sending texts and chatting.

However I would also like a Thai Sim that will include an Internet Package for 1 month, I have read of some Internet packages that cost 79 baht for 7 days but I am not really bothered about price as I do not really want to be fannying about searching for free Wi-Fi on my phone while negotiating potential meets with the ladies on Thai Friendly or their Line ID's   :biggrin: 

Any help on this, which network / supplier and where to get it would be much appreciated mon ami's  :hi: 

Amigo go to the 1st floor up the escalator at Tuk Com, head up to the rear section at the right hand side, there is a Dtac office there, for Sim and unlimited Data for One Month it is 429 Baht, take your passport as they need this for ID.  They will fit the Sim for you and set it up good to go.   :drinks:

• Upvote 1

Amigo go to the 1st floor up the escalator at Tuk Com, head up to the rear section at the right hand side, there is a Dtac office there, for Sim and unlimited Data for One Month it is 429 Baht, take your passport as they need this for ID.  They will fit the Sim for you and set it up good to go.   :drinks:

Sounds great amogo, thanx a million :drinks: 

And that also means I will be able to kill two birds with one stone as Sandy's room is very very close by  :spiteful:

Bang Tidy  B)

post-136-0-16007600-1460989691_thumb.jpg

You can see the crazy large number of AIS packages here:

http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/package-addon-detail.aspx?type=1&id=19

There are MANY size and speed options. So many it's almost hard to make an intelligent choice without some study. I have no idea about DTAC. But I would guess a web search might come up with their options as well. 

I'm not sure if you need a local number or not.  Google has a phone that starts at 200$. The plan is 20$/month. I like that the plan/phone works in 120 different countries. No swapping sim cards or filling up. 

https://fi.google.com/about/?u=0

I already have a Samsung Galaxy S2  so don't need to buy a phone, I only want a temporary Thai number and Internet (for 1 month) so not interested in any contracts or plans so will probably opt for Tel's suggestion with Dtac from TukCom, (429 baht for a month is peanuts) or if I arrive early enough at the Airport try one of the kiosks there    B)

I can use my old Nokia on a "pay as you go" with the Orange network here in the UK which I only use for texts are some phone calls, and to be honest I hardly use it so £10 easily lasts me a month or more

I am just presuming I cannot use 4G on my phone going by the specs, but of course I could be totally wrong  :blink:

Brand: SAMSUNG Camera Resolution: 8.0MP Model: GALAXY S2

Connectivity: 3G,

Bluetooth, GPRS, GPS, Infrared, Wi-Fi

Features: Camera, Colour Screen, Email, Internet Browsing, MMS (Multimedia Messaging), DLNA

Touch Screen, Video Calling

Lock Status:Network Unlocked

Screen Size: 4.7"

Operating System: Android

Style: Touch Screen

Memory Card Type: MicroSD

Storage Capacity: 16 GB

Processor: Dual Core Processor

Thanx for all your  help chaps, very much appreciated  :drinks:

I use the prepaid Truemove. The fact that you can get 4G/LTE means much faster browsing on the internet when you can get the 4G signal and no access to WIFI - very good coverage in Bangkok and Pattaya with their 4G/LTE network.

You can check out their plans here: Truemove Prepaid Packages

I like the idea of prepaid packages as I only pay for what I want to use. If you use a postpaid package you could end up paying for data that you may not use for the month. The other advantage for the Truemove card rests in the ease of keeping the SIM card active for your next trip to Thailand. You can use credit on the card before you leave Thailand to extend the expiry date of your card up to 1 year later - for a low fee.

When you arrive all the major service providers have kiosks set up in the arrivals hall at Suvarnabhumi airport -just head on over and decide on the package - they will register you and start you up as soon as you have paid for the sim card and package.

Just saw you posted the specs that your phone doesn't handle 4G. My suggestions still hold, but get a 3G package instead of the 4G. The browsing will be slower with a 3G connection.

When you arrive all the major service providers have kiosks set up in the arrivals hall at Suvarnabhumi airport -just head on over and decide on the package - they will register you and start you up as soon as you have paid for the sim card and package.

This is good advice, and you'll be set up in a few minutes with a SIM in your phone that has data for the entire month. You won't have to do a thing. In reality, for you, it doesn't matter which provider you choose.

AIS has a 30 day 3G package with 2 GB for 239 baht. If speed and amount of data isn't a big issue almost any provider's basic one month plan will work for you. Last trip I basically used my new smartphone only for Line. So most any package should be fine for that. If you really want to surf the web then needs might change. Lots of LB bars now have WiFi. So after you log on to the bar's network the next time you come in your phone will automatically connect. When you hang out in Lita's/Sensations/69 Bar/La Bamba/etc you don't need to use your data package. 

• Upvote 1

AIS has a 30 day 3G package with 2 GB for 239 baht. If speed and amount of data isn't a big issue almost any provider's basic one month plan will work for you. Last trip I basically used my new smartphone only for Line. So most any package should be fine for that. If you really want to surf the web then needs might change. Lots of LB bars now have WiFi. So after you log on to the bar's network the next time you come in your phone will automatically connect. When you hang out in Lita's/Sensations/69 Bar/La Bamba/etc you don't need to use your data package. 

Yes buddy, it would mostly be used for Line messages and looking on TF when I am out and about on my lonesome in Pattaya, and basically a back up if I cannot get Wi-Fi in some of the "establishments" I may find myself venturing in too  :rolleye0012:

I will not be used for watching films or anything extravagant as that  :blink:

AIS works for me. I tried Dtac and True in the past and switched back to AIS. Better coverage and average speeds from my limited personal experience. Like others suggested, the 450baht pre-paid plan for data and probably another 100baht for voice and texts as a backup plan. Before you leave the country you can use the voice and texts credit to extend the SIM expiry date (http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/). You will need a passport to register your new SIM. If you're using the airport kiosks make sure they understand you want a monthly flat rate data only package. They tried to sell me on other plans that have a mix of voice and data and are less effective if data is your main concern. I never had that in Tukcom. I guess the guys at the airport are used to selling to tourists coming here for a couple of weeks and looking to make international calls (calling home). Make sure to bring more condoms as being omnipresent through thaifriendly and line, and with your lack of self discipline, the duke is going to be a very busy boy :)

• Upvote 2