When, if ever, is it okay to name & shame?

Stroker

Years ago on another forum the owner was all on to track down a poster who was perceived to have told a ladyboy something that was supposed to be kept amongst the members. If I recall correctly it involved a ladyboy in Chiang Mai, but the upshot was the forum owner threatened/ promised he would post the culprits photo, home address and work place etc if the situation was not some way resolved satisfactorily.

So how do you members feel about naming and shaming fellow ladyboy lovers. Is it justified in some cases or is everyone entitled to the benefit of the doubt and their privacy, that we are all one big brotherhood and issues should be resolved in private if at all possible.

• Upvote 1

There would be three likely sides to every story:  The boardmember's, the ladyboy's, and the truth.

Making unsubstantiated accusations based upon gossip and half-truths across the internet is a dangerous game. To do it to a Thai could end with them reporting you to the police for defamation of character (or words to that effect), even if it's true. Reports of this nature have been reported a number of times, which also included posting images of a Thai girl in an embarrassing situation (room pics).

In my opinion, the personal details and information regarding a person such as; full name, address, work place, photograph etc., should never be disclosed by any person other than the person them self, if they choose to do so.

However, some people choose to divulge large chunks of their lives to the masses via the internet and social media already, so linking to their own posting entries, such as their Facebook page, could be acceptable under certain circumstances and conditions.

• Upvote 4

Years ago on another forum the owner was all on to track down a poster who was perceived to have told a ladyboy something that was supposed to be kept amongst the members. If I recall correctly it involved a ladyboy in Chiang Mai, but the upshot was the forum owner threatened/ promised he would post the culprits photo, home address and work place etc if the situation was not some way resolved satisfactorily.

So how do you members feel about naming and shaming fellow ladyboy lovers. Is it justified in some cases or is everyone entitled to the benefit of the doubt and their privacy, that we are all one big brotherhood and issues should be resolved in private if at all possible.

I'm with Monkey Nut. I wouldn't say we are all one brotherhood, but naming and shaming would rarely be justified. Outing particularly obnoxious and hypocritical individuals, such as religious figures and politicians (Donald Trump, Pat Robertson) could be justified. It might also be justified to name and shame if the person being named had named and shamed another, with dire consequences.

It would be bad form and unwise for a forum owner/moderator to name and shame a guy even if they did something incredibly wicked and/or stupid. Such an action has the potential to harm the innocent (children, spouse, family), and have other unforeseen consequences.

'Threatening' to out an asswipe, however, is another story. The threat of being outed could justifiably be used as powerful leverage in certain circumstances. And a case could be made that threatening to out a twat for instructional purposes and/or punishment for twatish behavior is justifiable.

• Upvote 1

There are different kinds of nefarious people that post on forums. Some are "heroes" which has been recently experienced by a few members on a different forum, and then there are those obsessed stalker types that seek to hurt the reputations of both forum members and lbs.

I believe that the stalker types should be outed - as that is the only way to stop them. There was one named koetjeboe (one of many user names), he threatened and harassed several board members and a few lbs as well, on at least 3 different lb forums, if not more. He only stopped when he was named and shamed.

• Upvote 2

There are different kinds of nefarious people that post on forums. Some are "heroes" which has been recently experienced by a few members on a different forum, and then there are those obsessed stalker types that seek to hurt the reputations of both forum members and lbs.

I believe that the stalker types should be outed - as that is the only way to stop them. There was one named koetjeboe (one of many user names), he threatened and harassed several board members and a few lbs as well, on at least 3 different lb forums, if not more. He only stopped when he was named and shamed.

Agree with you there, rxpharm. Fook stalkers. They need to be dealt with harshly.

Might be satisfying to out someone but there is always the slight danger of finding yourself on the wrong end of a violent action if you are do it while you are still in Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, etc.  If someone is a little unstable and wants to have someone hurt or killed there, it is fairly easy and relatively cheap. :roadrage:

• 3 weeks later...

i find it never benefits anyone to feed a troll.   Its not like anything being done or discussed is illegal here.   its not like a hooker forum in ohio where everyone who has signed on is essentially breaking the law.

Trolls live under every bridge on the internet, best advice i can come up with is if you don't want something getting back to you don't do it in the first place.  outing people publicly takes a set of extreme circumstances, will someone be hurt significantly is their safety critically compromised.  in situations such as that transparency is the best option, safety for the community/forum is top priority, we have an option to notify authorities if necessary with out compromising the community.  this opens a whole other discussion on the idea that the authorities would help, but that's for another time.

At the end of the day the  mods/owners have the tool of booting the culprit, sometimes thats the biggest shame of all.

• Upvote 1