Whats It Like During Songkran

ArchieBunker

Survived another day of Songkran 2016 but I hardly went out at all today.  Thats just the way things worked out.  I did make a trip to 7 11 for a couple of things.  i got "shot" by a guy but it was a little spritz and I let a little girl, about 6 years old, pour a little bowl of clean water on me.  it was charming actually.  I dont mind it when the kiddies do it.

I think I would get really pissed off if i were going out and about, especially at night, and got doused by some yobbo adults!!  At least I didnt take off my shirt!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

For me, Songkran is a pain in the arse. Dressed up (well, neat casual) to go somewhere and getting sprayed with water is not my idea of fun. And idiotic farangs who go over the top are the worst offenders imo. And plastered with powder too. No thank you.

The traditional celebration seems to have gone; so for me I'll be staying in my own space until it's over. Midnight 16th can't come quickly enough.

• Like 2

Where I am at now, it's one day of water splashing in the daytime on the 13th.  It was fun and easy enough to avoid if one wants to.

Two days is OK which is what happens on Koh Samui.

Can't quite see how the 7-9 days and nights in Pattaya  is fun even for those who really into it.  

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Where I am at now, it's one day of water splashing in the daytime on the 13th.  It was fun and easy enough to avoid if one wants to.

Two days is OK which is what happens on Koh Samui.

Can't quite see how the 7-9 days and nights in Pattaya  is fun even for those who really into it.  

I'll raise my hand and say i'm one of the few who likes the week of mayhem in Pattaya.

My biggest issue is the girlz return home during this period, so it can be a little quiet talent wise.

4 hours ago, azza33 said:

I'll raise my hand and say i'm one of the few who likes the week of mayhem in Pattaya.

My biggest issue is the girlz return home during this period, so it can be a little quiet talent wise.

To each his own, azza33, and I hope you do enjoy the "mayhem".But I'll tell you what, it's Sunday here in Bangkok and I'm off to the races.If some smart (make that dumb) prick tries to spray me with water, or smear powder on my face, I'll stuff my binoculars down his throat. I think it's fair that people going about their own business get some consideration; and those who want to play can play.

Yes, I agree that it's a bad time for talent, but soon it'll be back to "normal"; hopefully the horses treat me well enough so I can be "normal'' again after Songkran is over.  Great photo though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEXASMAC said:

Races?? Horse?

Yes Tex. Horse racing is on every Sunday in Bangkok (unless it's a Buddhist day, in which case it switches to Saturday). there are many form guides and race books in Thai (of course) but you can buy an English version for 100 baht. Betting is only on course, and only on the tote (totalizator) - apart from the illegal bookmakers. There are other tracks outside Bangkok too - Korat, Udon Thani and Chiang Mai have racing too; Korat is a sand track and races every week.

It's an experience to go racing in Thailand. Win or lose, I enjoy it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cobber32 said:

Horse racing is on every Sunday in Bangkok (unless it's a Buddhist day, in which case it switches to Saturday). there are many form guides and race books in Thai (of course) but you can buy an English version for 100 baht. Betting is only on course, and only on the tote (totalizator) - apart from the illegal bookmakers.

Where are the races Cobber?   Easy to get to?  When is post time?

36 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Where are the races Cobber?   Easy to get to?  When is post time?

In Bangkok there are 2 tracks: this Saturday racing is at the Royal Bangkok Sports Club at Patumwan. BTS to Siam, walk down Henri Dunant Rd and you're there. Admission 50 or 100 baht (different gates). Heaps of people selling race books along the way.  The following Saturday (28th) it's on at the Royal Turf Club (now sometimes known as the Bangkok Jockey Club) at Nang Leung (and I've seen 100 spellings of that) - BTS to Ratchathewi (one stop past Siam), go downstairs to the corner of Petchburi Rd, get a motorbike taxi (40 baht) to the track.  Post time for the first is around 12:20. Usually a 10 race card of different grades; last race set for around 5:40, but being Thai time I've seen the last run in the dark, like after 6 pm. English language form guides available. (100 baht).

Royal Ascot it is not, but it is an experience. I've not been yet to the track in Korat, but it is near the town, on the military base there. A sand track similar to the old Albion Park track in Brisbane (for Australian readers). Form guides there in Thai only, I'm told.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Over the past few days announcements have come out that appear to have driven sheer terror in some Thai expats, with the Thai Government saying this year’s Songkran will be the biggest one ever.

This announcement, which we covered here, has to do with UNESCO officially recognising the event as a cultural world heritage and Thailand hoping to further attract the event to tourists on a global scale.

Specifically, the statement that the event would be celebrated from April 1st to the 21st across Thailand caused a lot of panic and a lot of confusion. This was mostly because many feared this meant 21 days of water throwing.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, the festival was entirely cancelled in 2020 and in 2021 and 2022 water play and throwing was banned and only religious functions were allowed, much to the pleasure of some readers who strongly dislike this portion of the festival (Although it is popular with many tourists, especially social media influencers and younger tourists).

Last year, however, the water play returned and will also be a part of this year’s festival, indeed, Thailand is even basically openly promoting it, knowing that it attracts many tourists. To be fair, for those living and working full time, especially in Pattaya where the water play often lasts about a week, it can be a difficult period.

A few months back some prominent Thai officials said the festival would last all April but again, criticism and panic ensued around if this meant a month of water throwing.

Basically, the 21 days of Songkran is nothing new. Different parts of Thailand have celebrated the festival on different days for various reasons for decades. Pattaya’s big day, for example, is April 19th, partly to encourage domestic tourism after the official national days.

The official national days, by the way, will remain April 13th to the 15th, with public holidays running to the 16th. Pattaya, as usual, will likely run from the 12th to about the 19th.

In terms of the 21 days, the thought process behind this is NOT 21 days of water throwing. Instead, it’s best to think about it like Christmas, in which decorations, music, cultural presentations, etc. will take place for the entire month. The idea for Songkran is similar, with events proposed across Thailand from April 1st to the 21st, almost all of them focused on religious, cultural, and traditional heritage aspects.

Yes, there will still be water play, but according to Thai officials it will be limited to the official days and not the whole three week period.

So, for now, readers can rest easy that this doesn’t mean 21 days of water throwing across Thailand. Regardless, many of our regular readers and expats likely will plan to either stay indoors or even leave Thailand during the festival, while droves of tourists, domestic and foreign, arrive.

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/02/08/thailand-to-celebrate-21-days-of-songkran-in-april-really/

• Like 2