Vote For Bernie Sanders In Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai

Pdoggg

You can register at the polling place but must bring your passport.  It's really meant for expats, not for guys on vacation, but I don't think they are looking to turn people away. Passport is required though.

I will be checking the box for Bernie at Beertopia here in Pattaya On March 3rd in the Global Democratic Primary.

It's somewhat ironic that only farang can vote in Thailand this year.

Here are the dates and polling places in Thailand:

Chiang Mai and the North Chapter
Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center March 2, 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
185/3 Wualai Street
Hai Ya sub-district
Muang district, Chiang Mai 50100

Payap University March 5, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sirindhorn Learning Resource Center
Payap University (Mae Khao Campus)
Chiang Mai-Lampang Highway
Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

======================================

Pattaya and Eastern Seaboard Chapter
Beertopia Co. Ltd. March 3, 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm
(across from the Mind Resort)
384/93 Moo 10
3rd Road, Soi 17 Soi Rungland 2
NongPrue, BangLamung, Chonburi,
20150, Thailand

===============================================

Bangkok
Nichada Club Restaurant March 2, 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Nichada-thani March 3, 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Soi Samakkhi 29
Nonthaburi province

Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand March 2, 10:30 am – 7:00 pm
The Penthouse, Maneeya Center March 4, 10:30 am – 7:00 pm
518/5 Ploenchit Road
Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Roadhouse Barbecue March 5, 11:00 am – 6:30 pm
942/1 Rama IV Road, Surawongse,
Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500

First returns from the Democrats Abroad Global Primary are in and Tokyo is Feeling The Bern!

The Tuesday night turnout at the Tokyo voting center was pretty good, with 94 votes cast for Sanders and 14 for Clinton. There are still 2 more days to vote in Tokyo (Saturday and next Tuesday) as well as polling locations in Osaka and Nagoya, plus remote ballots that still need to get counted. The official results won't be announced until the 21st but it looks real good for Bernie so far.

Overall there are 21 delegates sent to the convention from Democrats Abroad (13 Pledged and 8 Super Delegates) so while there isn't a large number of delegates awarded from contest like these, every one is important in this primary battle.

Between Japan and New Zealand, Hillary only got 14.8% of the vote so far.

So my question is...

And I am serious...I truly don't understand the emotion and the fervor and the passion...........

I can understand that someone would care if they are on a temporary overseas assignment for a USA corporation or business....

I can understand that someone would care if they work for the US Government and are assigned temporarily to a foreign post...........

BUT........

If expats voluntarily choose to live in another country,  why be so concerned with USA politics?  

I would think that Yank politics would be part of why an expat might choose to live in a country other than the USA.............

Albeit there are important things for everyone to be concerned about....

March Madness is soon upon us........

The NFL Draft is rapidly approaching............

Spring Training is drawing to a close.....................

The NBA is swinging fully................

For what it's worth....I still like Martin O'Malley....The singing candidate...........

So my question is...

And I am serious...I truly don't understand the emotion and the fervor and the passion...........

I can understand that someone would care if they are on a temporary overseas assignment for a USA corporation or business....

I can understand that someone would care if they work for the US Government and are assigned temporarily to a foreign post...........

BUT........

If expats voluntarily choose to live in another country,  why be so concerned with USA politics?  

I would think that Yank politics would be part of why an expat might choose to live in a country other than the USA.............

Great question.

My decision to move to Thailand had nothing to do with Yank politics.

But I think for most expats their first love is their home country even if they have chosen to live elsewhere.

I've always been interested in politics so it's natural for me to continue to follow USA politics.  2016 is the most interesting election cycle ever.  But the truth is that it probably won't affect my life much no matter who the is elected as the next POTUS.

On the broader question of Democrats Abroad,  I would imagine that the expats who live in Germany are quite different than those in Thailand or the Philippines.   Democrats Abroad is an advocacy group for expats.  If there were a Republicans Abroad, I would imagine that they'd have an identical position on these issues. 

Bernie took Pattaya with 58% of the vote.     :party0011:

It wasn't the Under 30 crowd.

There were no establishment party shills with walking around money bringing out votes for the Clinton machine.

It was just the people.

Bangkok results:

Bernie   59.4%

HRC      39.9%

Uncommitted 0.7% 

You can still vote:

Central Bangkok

March 4, from 10:30 am to 7 pm – Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand, Maneeya Plaza Building (Penthouse Floor), 518/5 Ploenchit Road, Bangkok

March 5, from 11 am to 6:30 pm – Roadhouse Barbecue, 942/1 Rama IV Road, Surawongse, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500

Chiang Mai and the North
March 5, from 10 am to 4 pm – Payap University, Sirindhorn Learning Resource Center, Mae Khao Campus, Chiang Mai-Lampang Highway, Muang district, Chiang Mai

Democracy in action in Thailand!   

This is the first time I used a ballot box instead of a voting machine.

This is the first time that I was drinking beer at a polling place.

First time I heard Rolling Stones tunes being played at a polling site.

Some pics of the day:

post-7348-0-53265300-1457025067_thumb.jp

post-7348-0-92849600-1457025091_thumb.jp

post-7348-0-99277000-1457025744_thumb.jp

post-7348-0-82098800-1457026000_thumb.jp

Bernie takes Bangkok with 70% of the vote!

Photos from yesterday's ‪#‎Democrats‬ Abroad ‪#‎Thailand‬ ‪#‎voting‬ station at the ‪#‎FCCT‬ in ‪#‎Bangkok‬ - fantastic day with 105 people voting! Results for the day were 73 votes for Bernie Sanders and 32 for Hillary Clinton.

What do Stockholm, Dublin, Galway, Pattaya, Bangkok, London, Paris, and Barcelona have in common?

Bernie won there in the Global Democratic Primary.

Bernie won all 44  districts that have reported so far.

Date Location Sanders Clinton

March 1 Canada - Vancouver 88 44
Costa Rica - Escazú 20 6
Denmark - Copenhagen 160 53
France - Grenoble 35 6
France - Marseille 31 23
Germany - Munich 83 50
Guatemala - La Antigua 61 53
Ireland - Dublin 98 37
Japan - Tokyo 94 14
Luxembourg - Luxembourg City 40 25
New Zealand - Wellington 21 6
Spain - Barcelona 85 36
Spain - Madrid 323 107
Sweden - Gothenburg 60 20
Switzerland - Geneva 112 104
United Kingdom - Cambridge 82 48
United Kingdom - Edinburgh 231 62
United Kingdom - London 387 243
United Kingdom - Oxford 85 49

March 2 Costa Rica - Grecia 33 15
Thailand - Bangkok 82 55

March 3 Costa Rica - Pérez Zeledón 32 3
Sweden - Stockholm 69 32
Thailand - Pattaya 15 11

March 4 Costa Rica - Quepos 23 19
France - Paris 141 54
France - Toulouse 31 13
Thailand - Bangkok 73 32

March 5 Costa Rica - San José 22 15
Germany - Cologne/Bonn 20 10
Ireland - Galway 42 26
Spain - Barcelona 169 58
Sweden - Stockholm 87 41
Switzerland - Zurich 68 44

March 6 Japan - Osaka117 10 

Goodness. Bernie lost in Osaka.

Those kinky Japanese.  :biggrin:

Just edited my post. It had included a total at the end making it appear Clinton won. Bernie is 44 for 44!

He was more dominant in Osaka than anywhere.

Btw, think that is where Chuling is from.

post-7348-0-48935700-1457456902_thumb.jp

Great question.

My decision to move to Thailand had nothing to do with Yank politics.

But I think for most expats their first love is their home country even if they have chosen to live elsewhere.

I've always been interested in politics so it's natural for me to continue to follow USA politics.  2016 is the most interesting election cycle ever.  But the truth is that it probably won't affect my life much no matter who the is elected as the next POTUS.

Fair enough.........Thanks........

Sorry for my lateness back here, but I am a two finger one-handed typist for a bit.............

I think I am envious of your passion............

I can't seem to muster much for any length of time and I live in beautiful downtown Yankville.....

I think perhaps I have spent way too much time harboring the attitude that it doesn't change my life much......

Despite all our different perspectives PD, we should all share your passion................

It would be a better world...................

• 2 weeks later...

It's a rout. Bernie trounced Hillary with 69% (an auspicious number) of the vote in the Democrats Abroad primary!

In Thailand the vote was Bernie 681-235.

Even more of a rout in Cambodia and Vietnam, perhaps since Hillary Rodham Clinton licks the unwashed anus of war criminal Henry Kissinger.

The only countries carried by Hillary were Nigeria, Singapore, and the Dominican Republic.

The results are in! In an unprecedented turnout, up 50% from 2008, 34,570 voters cast their ballots from over 170 countries all around the world, through in person voting, by fax, email, and post, and the results are as follows:

Bernie Sanders received 69% of the vote in the Democrats Abroad’s Global Presidential Primary, Hillary Clinton 31%.

Sanders picks up 9 pledged delegates as a result of the primary, while Clinton secures an additional 4 delegates. A full breakdown of the total ballots cast for each candidate, and number of delegates received, is detailed below.
DA volunteers worked around the clock and around the world over the past two weeks to verify and count every ballot cast.

http://www.democratsabroad.org/global_presidential_primary_results

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

Democrats Abroad is having debate watch parties.  They'll be taped so you don't have to wake up early.

Bangkok: Presidential debates on September 27, October 10 and October 20, and Vice-Presidential debate on October 5. All events will start at 7:00 p.m. at the Roadhouse Barbecue, corner of Suriwong and Rama 4 Road, phone: 02-236-8010, for a map, google Roadhouse Barbecue Bangkok

Pattaya: Presidential debates on September 27, October 10 and October 20, and Vice-Presidential debate on October 5. All events will start at 5:30 pm at Beertopia, 384/93 Moo 10
NongPrue, Bang Lamung, Chonburi (across street from The Mind Resort, Soi Regional Land (Soi 17) telephone: 092-692-2095, for a map, google Beertopia Thailand

Chiang Mai: Presidential debates on September 27 and October 10, starting at 7:30 pm at Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center, 185/3 Wualai Rd, Haiya, Muang, Chiang Mai, telephone: 053 202-993-5, for a map, google Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center

Chiang Mai: Presidential debate on October 20, and Vice-Presidential debate on October 5, starting at 7:30 pm at Chiang Mai University Faculty of Political Science and Public Administration, Room Number: 1201 (second floor), 239 Huay Kaew Road, Chiang Mai, telephone: 098-656-5342, for a map, google Chiang Mai University Faculty of Political Science and Public Administration

Here's something I won't be buying:

don’t miss your chance to get one of our new Hillary Stronger Together DAT t-shirts, which feature both English and Thai, with red, white and blue lettering on a black t-shirt. We’ll have both crew and V-neck versions. Those shirts will be available at the debate parties.

• 2 months later...

If you want to watch the election returns with other people in Thailand:

Bangkok: Democrats in Bangkok will be gathering at the Roadhouse Barbecue.  Doors open at 6:30 am (yes, an early start) on November 9 and breakfast will be available starting at 7 am., and we will be there all day.  The Roadhouse Barbecue is at the corner of Surawong Road and Rama 4 Road, the closest BTS stop is Sala Daeng and the closest MRT stop is Silom.  The bar’s website is www.roadhousebarbecue.com  For those who want to eat breakfast, bar owner and chef Dana Caron (a proud DAT member from Maine) is offering a 400 baht special breakfast buffet, including eggs made to order, bacon, sausage, cornbread and sides, and of course, juice, coffee and tea.  For more details, contact: DemocratsAbroadThailand@gmail.com

Chiang Mai: Democrats in Chiang Mai and the north will be gather starting at 8 am on November 9 at the U.N. Irish Pub & Restaurant, located at 24-24/1 Ratchawithi Road, Sriphum, Chiang Mai, Thailand 50200.  The Facebook page of the venue is https://web.facebook.com/pages/The-UN-Irish-Pub-Restaurant/161571037328729?_rdr  For more details, contact: cmdems@gmail.com

Pattaya: Democrats in Pattaya and the eastern seaboard will be gathering, starting at 11:30 am on November 9 at Beertopia, 384/93 Moo 10 NongPrue, Bang Lamung, Chonburi (across street from The Mind Resort, Soi Regional Land (Soi 17) telephone: 092-692-2095.  There’s a map at https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Beertopia+Thailand/@12.9191782,100.8764593,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3102966d85e0950b:0x9a6ad980f9be483b!8m2!3d12.919173!4d100.878648?hl=en

1 hour ago, sustra2 said:

at what time ( thai time ) the first results ?

The polls close for a few states at 7AM Wednesday, Bangkok time.   Many more states close at 8AM.

The networks don't project the winner of any state until the polls close in that state.

But the networks have the results of exit polls before so they might have a good idea who won way before even though they won't explicitly say it.

North Carolina closes at 7:30 AM and is pretty much a must win state for Trump if he expects to win election.  So, if they call a win for Hillary in North Carolina early that probably means that she will win.

Pennsylvania closes at 8PM.  Good chance whoever wins Pennsylvania will win the election.

The raw vote totals in a particular state early doesn't mean too much since different regions of a state are strong for different candidates.

I'd be surprised if Trump wins as HRC has a 3 point polling lead in all her "firewall" states and would only need New Hampshire or Nevada to put her over the top.  Nevada has "early voting" and pundits seem to think she did well in Nevada based on who turned out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
An email from Democrats Abroad:

Dear Democrats Abroad Thailand, Pattaya Chapter members,

We will be watching the Inauguration at Beertopia, and commiserating on the state of the world, this Friday evening at our usual host, Beertopia, starting at 11 PM. The actual Inauguration in DC will take place at about midnight our time. 

Beertopia's website and FaceBook page have directions and a map for its location, if you have not visited there yet:

Below is information on the DAT in Bangkok's Inauguration Watch, which you may have received already. The Bangkok event will include a showing of Michael Moore's movie Trumpland and an open mike for participants to share their views on the USA's new President.

Please come and share your ideas with your fellow Democrats for resisting this steamrolling, contradictory, media hog who will all too soon be the leader of our great nation. 

Meanwhile in Bangkok

When: Friday, January 20, 2016; 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Where: Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT), Maneeya Plaza Building, Chidlom BTS. Directions here.
Who: DA Thailand members, and their friends (American and non-American)
How: No-host event, everyone is responsible to pay for what they eat or drink

Here’s the agenda:

5-7 p.m. — Cocktails and Dinner (no-host arrangement)
7-8:30 — Panel of Experts
A panel of Thailand-based experts on what Trump is going to mean in the US and globally for climate change and the environment; women’s rights; international development assistance/foreign aid; human rights; health; trade; labor rights, and other topics; followed by Q&A
8:30-10 — Showing film Trumpland by Michael Moore
10 to midnight — DA Thailand Open Mike Night
Discussions on flash mob for Women’s March in Bangkok; opposing Trump’s nominations, and mid-term elections 2018 project
Midnight-1 a.m. — The Witching Hour Trump Takes Oath of Office