Bars Closed on Monday February 22nd

Pdoggg

As xyzzy pointed out in another thread,bars will be closed on Monday February 22nd for a Buddha Day.

And there is a good chance many bars will close at midnight taking out part of the evening before. It usually wipes out the whole 24 hours.

There always have been and always will be bars selling beer in coffee/tea cups on Buddhist holidays. They are easy to spot as most every bar will have little/no customers and then you see a bar full of customers. When I was newer to Thailand it was kind of fun hunting for bars and breaking the law. However these days for me that gets old pretty fast if I am just going to a bar I would never visit just so I can have a beer.   

I have no idea what the current political situation is ATM. But for a while the military was kicking the ass of bars that where caught selling alcohol when they shouldn't. One bar close to me lost their liquor license for five years. But in typical Thai fashion they moved to a new location and managed to get a liquor license after a month or two. But they did have to move locations and the new location isn't as good. Will be interesting to see how many bars think it is worth the risk to even bother. Might say something about the current political climate. And these days one can not be sure a farang is totally immune to police action against a bar.

My liver will be more than happy if I give it the day off. But enjoy your crumpets and Singha. :biggrin:  

BTW this Buddhist holiday is probably the one taken most seriously.