FLOOD SITUATION IN BKK

PANIC

I have been in Bangkok since monday.

The area around central: ie Sukhumvit from Thong-lo to MBK and surrounding areas are water free and working as close to normal as is possible,

Yes the central bkk is ok as you can see from the map,but what is coming is to be seen when the water is gone from the effected areas.Allready the damage is been done to the economy of thailand,let alone the ones they lost their lifes

who will never come back.

For the first time the baht against the euro is nearly 44...nearly a year now

it was between 41-42maximum.

There was a post by bm some time ago (i dont remember his name)who said that the thai coverment was putting millions of baht in their banks to keep the baht

strong,and much less money for the poor,he said that one day this will turn as

a boomerang against them ...and it looks that this day is nearly there.

Actually all the currencies are up because of the flood...it might sound a bit hard for me to say that this is good for us who go there and spend our money,

but this is the hard truth...

I would not be that pessimistic, The Thais have managed floods before. Sure the most needy people will or have been hurt the most and a good number of jobs have been lost at least for some time, but this flood will create new jobs as well once things dry out. What will hurt is the luck of tourists but I am sure even that will turn around again fairly quick.

Texasmac - I assume based on your arrival date that you will be heading to Pattaya and there is no need to worry.

Yes, I will be heading to Pattaya but I wish to also make my first trip to Cocktails and Dreams in Phukett.

Texasmac, Powerbob from Stringfellows just made the Bangkok to Pattaya run in 2.5 hours last week due to traffic but no sign of water! He reports dry conditions in Pattaya. I would take the bell bus for the senic view and sleep factor.

Yes, you are correct. Nana Plaza is in the Klong Toei district - I checked the address of the post office and it states it is in the Klong Toei district.

For anyone visiting Bangkok during the floods - I would recommend you DO NOT use tap water to brush your teeth, until they have sorted out problems with the contamination of the water treatment plant from the floods.

• Upvote 1

This gave me a tickkle over breakfast this morning, I hope it does the same for you too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEusKs9sN0E

BTW, if you're out there 'Lefty', the clip is from a the superb German language film 'Downfall', if you ain't see it yet get a copy, you'll love it!

I have Downfall on my HD, Brother Lunger, and I agree it is a great movie. Well done and as accurate as it can get when it comes to making an historical event into a feature length film. Bruno Ganz should have won an Oscar. The film didn't even win for best foreign film that year, though was nominated. Some Spanish movie called The Sea Inside won. Fucking Academy voters commit another fuckup.

BTW, the voters at www.imdb.com rank Downfall as the 95th best all time movie, which is very good. The Sea Inside has a respectable score but is still below the all time top 250.