Cambodia Music Scene

deleted

For anyone interested in catching some live music whilst traveling through Cambodia, here's an excellent and comprehensive website about Cambodia's music scene: 

Leng Pleng (Play Music)

I have learned from a reliable source that the open mic/jam session at Alley Cat Cafe every Sunday night is great if you are into Jazz, Blues, and Rock. Apparently, some of the best barang and Khmer musicians in Phnom Penh jam together. I plan to investigate this Sunday.

• Upvote 1

It's been a damn long time since I've been to a music bar in PP. Slur Bar used to have some decent live music on 172 near 51 and Flamingos Hotel. Still open? Is Oscar 51 between 172 and 174 on 51 still open? Almost across from Zeppelin Bar (if it still exists). Oscar used to have a few LB hostesses but I heard at one point they kicked out the LBs. I haven't been in PP since January 2014.

It's been a damn long time since I've been to a music bar in PP. Slur Bar used to have some decent live music on 172 near 51 and Flamingos Hotel. Still open? Is Oscar 51 between 172 and 174 on 51 still open? Almost across from Zeppelin Bar (if it still exists). Oscar used to have a few LB hostesses but I heard at one point they kicked out the LBs. I haven't been in PP since January 2014.

Don't know about the places you mention, sir. Just starting to investigate live music venues now so will let you know. The website I shared is comprehensive; take a look at their listings and you can see almost everything happening music-wise in Cambodia.

Is Sharkey's still going?

According to the guy I met the other night, a longtime expat musician/fan from the UK and the bloke who told me about the Leng Pleng website, Sharky's is still going fairly strong and hosting some good music. Will investigate there as well.

Oscar 51 has been closed for a while now xyzzy which is a shame as there were always 3 or 4 lbs hanging about. Not sure if the 51 bar relocated but there is still an Oscar bar open on 104, last bar on your right heading away from the river. Much more confined space but they always have a live act and always seems to be one or two lbs there.

Slur bar has been many different things since it opened and continues to battle on, I've never personally set foot in there as I've never spotted a single patron in there!

• Upvote 2

Oscar 51 has been closed for a while now xyzzy which is a shame as there were always 3 or 4 lbs hanging about. Not sure if the 51 bar relocated but there is still an Oscar bar open on 104, last bar on your right heading away from the river. Much more confined space but they always have a live act and always seems to be one or two lbs there.

Slur bar has been many different things since it opened and continues to battle on, I've never personally set foot in there as I've never spotted a single patron in there!

I though maybe Oscar 51 had closed. Oscar on 104 is tiny. The band almost takes up 1/2 of the bar. I actually never heard a band in Oscar 104. But the band's equipment is always set up. It must be friggin' loud.

Slur is a weird place. It looks very new and modern. I used to avoid the place also. But my friend that lives in PP wanted to see a band there one night that supposidly featured one of the best native Cambodian rock guitar players. So I went and enjoyed the show. There was a decent crowd that night.

The PP music scene really requires some special knowledge. I go to Garage Bar on occasion and just listen to the vast array of tunes they have on the computer (not a hostess bar). The owner usually knows what is happening in the music scene. The expats are ususally in the know as well. There was a BIG crowd of expats at a show at Oscar 51 on a previous trip. So much so braving the crowd and the cigarette smoke was hardly worth the effort and that place was BIG. Otherwise they had some decent bands and LB hostesses but not many customers I guess. 

• Upvote 1

The Garage has very tasty burgers but quite different than the usual so you might love em or hate em.

If the band is playing a tune I really like at Oscar 104 it's great joint but otherwise a bit too too loud.  As mentioned above, usually a ladyboy is working there.

Friend of mine was in a Comedy Night at Slur but have not been there on music nights..  It's next to Flamingos.

I'm not a fan of the Street 51 (one forum member calls it Whore Street :biggrin:   )    area but there is the one bar with mo barfine open until 6AM.  Somehow the name escapes me. Anyone know?