Chiang Mai Traffic Stops

Thought I'd share my recent experiences with police traffic stops in Chiang Mai. I have been stopped three times on my rented scooter in the last 8 days on the moat road surrounding the old city of Chiang Mai. The police were professional and courteous during two of the stops. All three stops also occurred at strategically placed check points on the moat road, where 6 to 8 officers were waving every driver (Thai and non-Thai) on a scooter or motorcycle over to check licenses.

I had to pay a 200 bt fine the first time I was stopped because I did not have my id. I told the police officer I forgot my id, apologized politely, and asked if I could "pay a fine". He agreed and politely explained the legal requirement to carry a driver's license when operating a scooter. He directed me to a table to pay the 200 bt fine. I was given a receipt, with the issuing officer's name on it.

The second time I was pulled over, I had photocopies of my passport and international driver permit with me, issued in the US. This particular officer came across as disappointed when I produced my license, like he lost out on a few baht. He did not accept the photocopy at first, saying I needed the actual license. Fortunately, Brother Lung, who lives in Chiang Mai, advised me that I should carry only a photocopy of my driver license/permit because of the danger of having a wayward cop hold it hostage. Brother Lung also advised me to invoke the word "embassy" to respond to police who question a photocopy--"US embassy tell me to carry only photocopy." It worked like a charm, too. The officer somewhat grudgingly handed me back my papers and sent me on my way without a fine.

The officer who stopped me the third time was very professional and courteous, but he did say something about the photocopy of my license. I again responded with, "US embassy tell me to carry only photocopy." He handed me back my papers, bowed politely, and sent me on my way.

EDIT: Neglected to mention that I was wearing a helmet when stopped. I have read that Thai police will ding you for not wearing a helmet while riding a scooter. Don't know how true this is because every other person I see riding a scooter around Chiang Mai does not wear a helmet.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the tips Sylvester on the road check as I'm up that way in early October.  I usually rent a scooter for daytime use.  I have only seen the blocks in that same area at night time, so I refrained from driving in the evening.  

Funny how you mention the officer's disappointment when you produced the correct ID's.  I got that same look of disappointment in Phuket when he handed it back to me.  They got me the first time going to the South beaches and I didn't want to take my wallet.  They had a big line of farangs paying fines for no helmuts and ID's.  Meanwhile Thai's were zooming by without helmets..  

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the tips Sylvester on the road check as I'm up that way in early October.  I usually rent a scooter for daytime use.  I have only seen the blocks in that same area at night time, so I refrained from driving in the evening.  

Funny how you mention the officer's disappointment when you produced the correct ID's.  I got that same look of disappointment in Phuket when he handed it back to me.  They got me the first time going to the South beaches and I didn't want to take my wallet.  They had a big line of farangs paying fines for no helmuts and ID's.  Meanwhile Thai's were zooming by without helmets..  

Cheers, Gutsy. All of my stops were during the day, and I have not seen any check points after dark.

Nice to see that the 'embassy' dodge worked for you, Sylvester :happy0065:... But 'consulate' is the actual word that they respond to best, as there are many consulates in town & they're familiar with the word, but 'embassy' & 'my government' are both good too.

Talking of which, if you're from the UK & you actually bother to read your travel advice, it will tell you not to give up your passport to anybody, but to always carry a photocopy on your person. 

Khun Gutsy & Sylvester, the chances of you getting pulled up at night in Chiang Mai are 77,000 squillion to 1... I piddle past night time road blocks in flip-flops with no crash hat riding on a sports racer motorbike, which should be an immediate pull, but they just leave me alone, because after the sun goes down it's no longer tea money time & they're expected to go after real criminal, especially kids donkeying Yabba or ice about.

However, there is always the 1% of times, & I did actually get banged up for a D&D last year (as many of you know), but that was the only night time road block that I've been stopped at in fifteen years & I did nearly run over a handful of policemen.. Plus, it was quite a way out, in a Thai area, because they really don't want to stop tourists having a good time... Unless it's tea time, of course.

The best thing to do is wear some funny Foo Man Choo mustache & squint your eyes up a bit & pretend you're Chinese :bling:... You'll get away with what the fuck you want then, as the BIB have been told not to touch them.

:hi:

• Upvote 2

All the better for hearing from you, Big Boy :happy0148: 

55555555... Working on it, Lance, I've been dishing out a few Chinese burns at immigration, but as you're well aware, they're a stubborn, mulish bunch...

..And as for the tourist, I just stay out of their way, nowdays... That tends to make them a little bit happier  

Yeah buddy, I don't miss the hoards of Chinese waddling down the street like a flock of noisy geese, 555!

I'm always delighted when a Chinese tour group walks in the middle of the street, oblivious to traffic and the chaos they are responsible for.

The Thai drivers look aghast, the veins in their necks bulging, but "bottling it" to save face.

The Thais wanted Chinese tourists (I mean money) and now they have it, 555!

BANGKOK: -- After having received numerous complaints from members of the public, the National Police Office has decided to stop the practice of police setting up of mobile roadblocks to catch traffic violators.

Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thavornsiri said Thursday that the police order took immediate effect as of Thursday and would be applied throughout the country.

From now on, he said that if a roadblock is to be set up, it has to be manned by a police inspector and there must be a clearly visible sign to show the existence of the roadblock. Also, their superiors must be informed about the whereabouts of the roadblocks and what kind of roadblocks they are.

Pol Lt-Gen Prawut told members of the public who happen to come across a mobile roadblock to take pictures or to VDO record it and have it sent to the police spokesman’s office or to dial 1197 to lodge a complaint.

He warned that any police officers found to have set up roadblocks without authorization would face punishment.

Source: http://englishnews.t...pped-nationwide

Hope this helps some... But I won't be holding my breath???

• Upvote 3