The Phillippines Restaurant Review

Stealth007

• 1 year later...

Angeles City:

Phillies no longer has their super cheap breakfast special. However Bretto still has their special but starts at 4AM (Phillies started at 3).

Phillies does still have 58 baht San Mig Lite along the rail facing the freelance ladyboys but inside by the sports screens it is more expensive.

Probably the best value for money joint is Bob's Bar, no sign but outside it says Sun Moon. 85 pisos schnitzel with chips. 100 pisos cordon blue with chips.

Looks like a hole in the wall dive bar where the food would suck but it is delicious and served on a nice plate with the proper condiments.

You can ask for free cold service water in a mason jar or suck on a 45 pisos San Mig Lite (Think San Mig Pilsner is only 40). Lots of expat sitting outside at these prices but Angeles expats semm a cut above the Pattaya expats in wifebeater drinking at 10 AM.

First time in got a very friendly welcome from the barmaid. This joint is doing something right.

Highly recommended!

3 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

@Pdoggg from your post it appears you are back in AC??

As I am heading to Philippines (and then to Malaysia) next month can you advise if the Walking Street ladyboy curfew is still in place as it did ruin the vibe of the place when I was there last November.

I was at Envy, opposite of Phillies, a couple of weeks ago and the ladyboys were out. The crackdowns (aren't most cracks down? :) ) are just window dressing and never last that long. Although if a guy was in AC for a short visit, it could be problematic. Good hunting buddy:)

21 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

@Pdoggg from your post it appears you are back in AC??

As I am heading to Philippines (and then to Malaysia) next month can you advise if the Walking Street ladyboy curfew is still in place as it did ruin the vibe of the place when I was there last November.

Cheers and enjoy

There were ladyboys on Walking Street, outside Phillies, and a few by the park near JJs.  I think somewhat less than un the past where on time I counted 18 lined up on the side street outside Phillies.

22 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

Thanks @lance2546

YW buddy. Even when the cops enforce "loitering", there will be some ladyboys walking around. Just approach them and most will be receptive to getting better acquainted :) And during no loitering periods, LBs will be active on social media/dating apps, still very easy to hook up.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Pdoggg said:

Angeles City:

Phillies no longer has their super cheap breakfast special. However Bretto still has their special but starts at 4AM (Phillies started at 3).

Phillies does still have 58 baht San Mig Lite along the rail facing the freelance ladyboys but inside by the sports screens it is more expensive.

Probably the best value for money joint is Bob's Bar, no sign but outside it says Sun Moon. 85 pisos schnitzel with chips. 100 pisos cordon blue with chips.

Looks like a hole in the wall dive bar where the food would suck but it is delicious and served on a nice plate with the proper condiments.

You can ask for free cold service water in a mason jar or suck on a 45 pisos San Mig Lite (Think San Mig Pilsner is only 40). Lots of expat sitting outside at these prices but Angeles expats semm a cut above the Pattaya expats in wifebeater drinking at 10 AM.

First time in got a very friendly welcome from the barmaid. This joint is doing something right.

Highly recommended!

I've eaten at Bob's many times, good food at a great price. SML is P45; I pay P29/bottle when I buy a case, so his markup is low. Many expats go there to socialize; after a while the girlie bars get old and many of the customers have live ins, so they are not looking to hook up. But girls do stroll by, so its possible to get a number. Some nights it's packed, no seats available. Bob is a Filipino guy, lives around the corner and really looks after his customers.

• Like 2

Just a quick note about restaurants in manila--Banana Leaf with many branches all over the PHips is one of my faves when stuck in the wasteland of non-Thai food...but they are not all created equal. To wit--the BananaLeaf in the basement of Century Mall in Makati just downright sucks. Small portions, poorly prepared, and a shithead manager; whereas the Banana Leaf in the lower level at PowerPlant Mall in Rockwell--also in Makati and just an 8-minute walk away, is still excellent.

For example--the green chicken/eggplant curry: at Century Mall branch there's barely enough curry 'soup' to cover half the ragged pieces of chicken--and the pieces of chicken are mostly bones and butts; but at Powerplant, the solid pieces of chicken and eggplant are totally submerged in a thick spicy tasty curry sauce/soup--and there's good meat on the bones.

Just one man's opinion, but Powerplant is well worth the walk.  BTW, there's also a branch at Greenbelt in Makati, but I didn't get back there this trip.

And--a new phenomenon has gripped Manila -- the SaladStop--a year ago I had never seen one. This trip i saw FOUR of them. A little heavy on the dressing, but if you want fresh salad to balance out the fatty fried cuisine of the PHips, i recommend.

Eat well. Fuck hard.

• Like 2