Money Exchange Rates - ATM vs. Bringing Cash

deleted

Now that I think of it the providing of a Thai address was one of the reasons given to me for being refused an acct as a hotel address was not sufficient

Now that I think of it the providing of a Thai address was one of the reasons given to me for being refused an acct as a hotel address was not sufficient

List the address of your hotel on the form.    This might work at some branches.  Varies from branch to branch, day to day, bank officer to bank officer.

Make sure to wear you Good Guys Go To Heaven Bad Boys Go To Pattaya wifebeater!    :crazy:

List the address of your hotel on the form.    This might work at some branches.  Varies from branch to branch, day to day, bank officer to bank officer.

Make sure to wear you Good Guys Go To Heaven Bad Boys Go To Pattaya wifebeater!    :crazy:

Yes along with my tight denim Daisy Duke shorts

Opening a new BKK Bank account (or any other bank) has become much harder these days. Tales of woe are all over the forums. But I might give BKK bank a try next trip. Wonder if I can use my Kasikorn account as my second form of ID. :biggrin:

Yup I heard that Kasikorn was always the easiest place to get an acct (Pattaya tai branch in particular) , so tried a few branches of them first, no luck so someone suggested I try Bangkok bank again tried a few branches of them again no luck but I think I will try again this trip but with much lower expectations this time

Opening a new BKK Bank account (or any other bank) has become much harder these days. Tales of woe are all over the forums. But I might give BKK bank a try next trip. Wonder if I can use my Kasikorn account as my second form of ID. :biggrin:

The Thai embassy in New York liked to see the annual statement sent by Social Securiy with your projected benefits. But I think the more documentation the better.  Bring over bank statements, utility bills, voter ID card and so and and so on.  If the bank official photcopies reams of paperwork it covers his ass.  Just about anything other than your 69 Bar discount card and Club LaBamba card.  Receipt or even a letter from your hotel might help too.

If it's easy to get a message from your home bank on the Swift network that couldn't hurt either.  

I reckon it's easy to say to yourself that you're not going to jump through hoops for bank bureaucrats but you just have to do it once and then you're all set.

The Thai embassy in New York liked to see the annual statement sent by Social Securiy with your projected benefits. But I think the more documentation the better.  Bring over bank statements, utility bills, voter ID card and so and and so on.  If the bank official photcopies reams of paperwork it covers his ass.  Just about anything other than your 69 Bar discount card and Club LaBamba card.  Receipt or even a letter from your hotel might help too.

If it's easy to get a message from your home bank on the Swift network that couldn't hurt either.  

I reckon it's easy to say to yourself that you're not going to jump through hoops for bank bureaucrats but you just have to do it once and then you're all set.

That would have been a damn good idea. But since I'm getting drunk in a hotel near SFO and waiting for the football game to start I guess I missed the plot.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at World Remit a bit more today and have come to the conclusion that it is an excellent way to transfer small amounts of money overseas. The exchange rate is not as favorable as a Swift Transfer but the fixed fee is extremely low compared to a Swift Transfer. So if you're sending your girlfriend a hundred bucks for her birthday World Remit is a good alternative if you don't have an online bank account in the country where she lives.  Actually the first time you use World Remit they even waive the transfer fee.

WorldRemit is especially good for transferring money to the Philippines where the cash can be delivered to the recipient's home.  Let's hope the delivery boy doesn't flash 5 fingers at your Filipina sweetie.

OTOH, I don't think World Remit is good if you're sending thousands of dollars overseas.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/434-transfering-money-overseas/#entry979

post-7348-0-11157000-1453297293_thumb.pn

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/434-transfering-money-overseas/#entry979

I guess it's also a way that you could pay an independent amateur cybersex gal.     :db:

• 1 month later...

Ok so have been changing money at TT exchange as it has best rate so far but wanted to compare to Super rich, anyone know if there is one anywhere near Central Festival?

I thought Super Rich was only in Bangkok but since I don't change money in Pattaya I really don't know.

Think TT and the antique shop on 2nd Road between Soi 16 and Soi 17 give the best rates.

You could well be right about Bkk only PD as I have been walking around all over the place and have yet to see one, will look into the antique store, can't picture but am sure I can find it, btw another place that some days has the best rates is on soi Diana, right beside the Family mart on south side of soi, can't remember the name but it is a blue kiosk

As far as I know Vasu and Super Rich are only in BKK. They give about as good a rate as you get on a debt card in an ATM which is very good. I always though TT was about the best in Pattaya but I haven't exchanged money in a long time.

You can see the Vasu, Super Rich and other rates here:

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

• Upvote 1

Why??  Its not as though thats the only way to get your money??  Think of it as a convenience fee.  i agree its bullshit but thats why I DONT have an ATM card!!!  I go to the bank like every two weeks, write a check and use cash.  If I am running low on my cash stash, I just go to the bank again or use my credit card.  Simple.  I think those who get hosed by fees are dopes for getting stung.  The banks have to stock and maintain these machines so i am not shocked they charge a fee.  is it a rip off?  it probably is but most of the blame goes to the consumer here....

Just checked out antique shop exchange joint and rate was no better than TT so not worth the effort for me unless going to WS (which I rarely do) but it did give me my yearly "excuse'to walk through Sunnee, cause of course if I was in the area anyways that means I am not gay :) :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just checked out antique shop exchange joint and rate was no better than TT 

TT gives a good rate; better than the banks.

Just checked the rates at both places and at the antique shop and today you'd get an extra 20 baht if changing 500 USD.

The big advantage of the antique place though is if you need to change THB to USD.  To get 500 USD, you'd have to fork over 75 less baht.

TT gives a good rate; better than the banks.

Just checked the rates at both places and at the antique shop and today you'd get an extra 20 baht if changing 500 USD.

The big advantage of the antique place though is if you need to change THB to USD.  To get 500 USD, you'd have to fork over 75 less baht.

fair enough

Just checked out antique shop exchange joint and rate was no better than TT so not worth the effort for me unless going to WS (which I rarely do) but it did give me my yearly "excuse'to walk through Sunnee, cause of course if I was in the area anyways that means I am not gay :) :)

If a guy tries hard enough he can indeed get lost in Sunee, and that's an excuse also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...