Puzzles and Conundrums

Lefty

The famous four hat puzzle which i think was originally about four French Legionaries

Four Guys

They can’t move – they can only look forward. Between A and B is a brick wall which is completely opaque (they absolutely can’t see through it). They are all aware that each of them is wearing a hat, and that two of them are wearing a black hat, and two of them are wearing a white hat. They don’t know what color THEYare wearing. However, each of them DOES know where the other three are buried.

In order to avoid being executed, one of them must call out to the executioner the color of their hat. If they get it wrong, everyone will be shot. They can’t talk to each other and have only 10 minutes to figure it out.

After 60 seconds, one of them calls out.

QUESTION: Which one of them calls out? How can he be certain he knows the color of his hat?

This is not a silly trick question.

There’s no outside influence and no other way of communicating.

They can’t move and are buried in a straight line; A and B can only see their respective sides of the wall, Ccan see B, and D can see B and C.

post-405-0-45124700-1437851348_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

RE The 4 Hat Puzzle  

Thanks for joining in Sean... why would you reason that .. out of interest..can you let us know  

The actual answer as commonly given and the reasoning will be given tomorrow around 5pm to give everyone a chance .

QUESTION: Which one of them calls out? How can he be certain he knows the color of his hat?

4-men-in-hats-puzzle (1).jpg

Answer = C   

If C was wearing white then D would have said black, but he said nothing.

D's choice was the same as A & B's (50/50), so his silence revealed the answer to C.

Nice conundrum   :yes:

• Upvote 1

two arrangements made of similar shapes in slightly different configurations. Each apparently forms a 13×5 right-angled triangle, but one has a 1×1 hole in it.????

whats going on here.. 220px-Missing_square_puzzle-AB.png

im buggered if i can see the solution..after 10 minutes ... ill sleep on it ..

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

two arrangements made of similar shapes in slightly different configurations. Each apparently forms a 13×5 right-angled triangle, but one has a 1×1 hole in it.????

whats going on here.. 220px-Missing_square_puzzle-AB.png

im buggered if i can see the solution..after 10 minutes ... ill sleep on it ..

I still can't get it.  Will sleep on it for another week.

In the meantime, here's an easy one:

A man and his son are in a car crash. The father is killed and the child is taken to hospital gravely injured. When he gets there, the surgeon says, 'I can't operate on this boy - for he is my son!!!' How can this possibly be?

Hint: This has nothing to do with adoption or time travel.

I still can't get it.  Will sleep on it for another week.

In the meantime, here's an easy one:

A man and his son are in a car crash. The father is killed and the child is taken to hospital gravely injured. When he gets there, the surgeon says, 'I can't operate on this boy - for he is my son!!!' How can this possibly be?

Hint: This has nothing to do with adoption or time travel.

the surgeon was the boys mother...
  • Upvote 2

Also PD

the Two envelope question can be resolved as the QTY in the envelopes must be add up to a finite amount .. so the equation is meaningless unless the QTY allowed in the envelopes is infinity

if the total amount adds up to 900 dollars then you pick the 600 one , its impossible to get 1200.. ( double).. thats the answer and i suppose it must be correct .... i must try that out in the bar next time as i think no one will ever get it

even when you know the answer the question still seems to defy logic 

Its a real headache that one .

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

nice one.. im a bit rusty but when i get some time later i hope to get it... i think the Bk castle is maybe sacrificed for the kt and the the pawn comes down to threat the castle  ,,,,  i need more time... its a good puzzle

or maybe the black bishop commits suicide... ha ha

• 3 months later...

This one is not easy:

You work for a tech firm developing the newest smartphone that supposedly can survive falls from great heights. Your firm wants to advertise the maximum height from which the phone can be dropped without breaking.

You are given two of the smartphones and access to a 100-story tower from which you can drop either phone from whatever story you want. If it doesn’t break when it falls, you can retrieve it and use it for future drops. But if it breaks, you don’t get a replacement phone.

Using the two phones, what is the minimum number of drops you need to ensure that you can determine exactly the highest story from which a dropped phone does not break? (Assume you know that it breaks when dropped from the very top.) 
  • 1 month later...

There’s an airplane with 100 seats, and there are 100 ticketed passengers each with an assigned seat. They line up to board in some random order. However, the first person to board is the worst person alive, and just sits in a random seat, without even looking at his boarding pass. Each subsequent passenger sits in his or her own assigned seat if it’s empty, but sits in a random open seat if the assigned seat is occupied. What is the probability that you, the hundredth passenger to board, finds your seat unoccupied?

a toughy

So far i think you may drop one phone from around floor 50 so then you got half left depend whether it breaks or not. How you get to a minimum after this i cant get it..... maybe tomorrow ill have another go.. the minimum must be below 50 im thinking

Defo less than 50. If u drop it from 50 and it breaks then you next drop it from 1, then 2, then 3, and in the worst case case scenario it would take 49 drops.

But is dropping from 50 the best course of action?

"There’s an airplane with 100 seats, and there are 100 ticketed passengers each with an assigned seat. They line up to board in some random order. However, the first person to board is the worst person alive, and just sits in a random seat, without even looking at his boarding pass. Each subsequent passenger sits in his or her own assigned seat if it’s empty, but sits in a random open seat if the assigned seat is occupied. What is the probability that you, the hundredth passenger to board, finds your seat unoccupied?"

1 in 100?