Shisha in Pattaya Banned!

dixon cox

District Officials confirm ban on the sale and use of Shisha in Pattaya

On Friday Night a letter was circulated amongst bar owners in Pattaya from the Banglamung District Licensing Unit which confirms an immediate ban on the sale and use of Shisha in entertainment venues.

The Letter, marked “Urgent”, was dated 29th May but was only distributed on Friday and stated that Banglamung District Officials will now be enforcing the ban on the sale and use of Shisha

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/199423/district-officials-confirm-ban-on-the-sale-and-use-of-shisha-in-pattaya/

I can't say that I'm disappointed, I'm sure a few other guys will be pleased at this news too. Even as a smoker I didn't like it, primarily due to the contraption itself being so hot and often placed right beside you should your bar neighbour decide on a fruity puff.

I doubt the Arabs are happy about it.

It was only a matter of time before someone got badly burned by the tray of hot coals, if they hadn't already. 

The letter states that any bar owner caught selling Shisha can receive a prison term of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to 500,000 Baht and any bar owner deemed responsible for a death or other serious incident related to the sale and use of Shisha in their establishment can receive a prison term of up to 10 years and/or a fine of up to 1 Million Baht.

• Upvote 1

Apart from the designated  Shisha Bars in, say the arab quarter or in Sunee, it is my understanding or observation that it is not the bar owners that sell Shisha in the main, but independant guys hiring them out to working girls mainly.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers DK

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong.

No correction required Boot, you're right.

.. but in addition, the statement said "... an immediate ban on the sale and use of Shisha in entertainment venues".

Did anyone here partake and will they miss it?

• Upvote 1

I'm glad its banned what a pointless habit lets hope they enforce it  .

And while we are at it lets hope someone actually enforces the smoking ban in bars so the rest of us can get a breath of fresh air instead of inhaling other peoples smoke .

• Upvote 1

And while we are at it lets hope someone actually enforces the smoking ban in bars so the rest of us can get a breath of fresh air instead of inhaling other peoples smoke .

Kill joy   <_< 

Us stinky tobacco smokers seemed to have got away with that one, but most of the guys I know who smoke are considerate towards those who don't partake, or at least we try. Please don't berate us too severely if we forget  :flirt2: 

The shishas weren't a bad thing when they were pretty much confined to Soi 16 and surrounds, but then they became mobile and are common place almost everywhere, especially beer bars. That mobility happened quickly over the last few years.

Tobacco collects taxes for the government, so they don't want to kill that nice little earner off completely.

Good. I don't have a problem with it unless the retard decides to light it up 2 ft away from you in the bar so you can  feel the heat especially when wearing shorts. Happened to me in Sensations a few times. Some of the staff sure likes the stuff tho.

• Upvote 1

... I don't have a problem with it unless the retard decides to light it up 2 ft away from you in the bar so you can  feel the heat 

I agree. Their existence and usage never really bothered me although I found it unattractive for a girl to do it, I'd rather they smoked a normal cigarette. But I don't want one in close proximity for fear of being scolded or burned by the hot parts. Around the central main bar at Sensations I thought it was a problem and it swayed your decision regarding where to sit, if there was a choice.

Maybe just I'm a shisha NIMBY   :Hmmmph:  :Monkey:

The shisha the smartphone and the pool table are the 3 curses of Pattaya right now ....ban them all from bars I say !!!

I hear you on the shisha and smartphone Jim, but what is so wrong with pool tables? Just curious as a very bad player who doesn't love the game, but don't see any harm in it either

• 4 months later...

Two very different type venues were raided in sisha busts.  A Lebanese restaurant in the Arab Quarter was busted but also the Bee Boy Bar on 3rd Road. I'm guessing this is the type of joint where Thai girls pay to have sex with pop star looking boys who have their hair done every day. 

A 20-strong team of District Officials, led by a senior Director of the Department of Provincial Administrations conducted raids on 2 venues in Pattaya early on Tuesday Morning in search of illegal shisha.

The team firstly checked a Lebanese Restaurant and Bar in Soi 16 off Walking Street, owned by Khun Tanaet aged 46. Officers witnessed Thai and Foreign patrons smoking Shisha. The devices used to smoke the Shisha and cartons of shisha were confiscated and the bar owner was arrested.

The second location was Pattaya 3rd Road and the Bee Boy Bar, owned by Khun Chaiyawat aged 39. Once again the sale and use of Shisha was witnessed by the team of officers and the owner was arrested.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218639/shisha-raids-at-pattaya-bars-and-restaurants-by-district-officials/

I really can't figure out there objection to it.  It's leading Thai youth astray? NOT THAI ! Neither are button down shirts, western pants, microwaves, um...cellphones, computers....

It's only terribly adulterated tobacco.

Is it because it gives them yet another reason to raid and fine? Or an excuse to raid and fine those places they don't like for one reason or another?

Typically Thai, there's no logic in it.