Same Sex Marriage In Ireland

Constitutional lawyer (professor) wrote a very informative article for us in Oz, saying we don't need a referendum. Subtle or not-so-subtle differences in constitutions, the reason. Here, unlike Ireland, we don't have social values, marriage, etc., written into our constitution. So we do not need a referendum to change the laws on such things. This would be the same for other countries whose constitutions are similar to ours & dissimilar to Ireland's, I guess. Ireland's past domination by RC church meant everything in constitution had to reflect their narrow view of the world.

Hence in Oz all we need is a decent tolerant non-bigoted parliament, to make the relevant change to legislation. Unfortunately we have a Nazi Party in government at the moment, and a weak RW pandering Opposition who also oppose anything to do with marriage equality.

Time will win out though. Opponents are very definitely on the wrong side of history. Every poll taken in Oz recently shows about 80% of population want marriage equality. This will lead to a lot of archaic, opposing politicians being looked on unfavourably down the track by their electors.

Time will win out though. Opponents are very definitely on the wrong side of history. Every poll taken in Oz recently shows about 80% of population want marriage equality. This will lead to a lot of archaic, opposing politicians being looked on unfavourably down the track by their electors.

With fingers crossed here's hoping your prediction is correct Mr. Ken. 

Indeed Sam.

BTW, I've noticed in a few posts lately I am referring to my native land as "here."

For those who may have twigged or noticed, & wondered, here is still very much Saigon for me. But I get all my news from online Australian sources, so when responding to issues my brain seems to have switched back to talking of "here" as though I'm still there.

Bear with me (or bare with me?) & my addled brain.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see that it's not just gay rights activists but also the trade unions that are supporting equality.

The crowd, organised by Amnesty International, the Irish Congress of Trade Unions and the Rainbow Project, said they want parity with the rest of the UK and Ireland in permitting civil marriage for gay couples.