What's the story with...wife beater tops on a night out?

Stroker

We have all seen them around Pattaya, particularly being worn on Soi Buakhao and usually with Singha or Chang printed on them.  While they may be practical for daytime wear,(get some air under the armpits) what's the consensus with guys wearing them when they go out for a night of bar hopping? 

post-3403-0-99891400-1427509101_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Stroker, this is a very inflammatory post  -  asking a leading question accompanied with a picture of a rather unappealing male. No prizes for guessing what sort of response you are looking for.

Nice folks are too polite to say what they honestly think, impolite people will use the invitation to pour scorn on these hapless bastards who are too stupid to know any better as to how they should dress when visiting a foreign country. And the unfortunate fact that most of them are dangerously overweight just provides more reason to ridicule them & their lack of dress standards.

I have gone past the age where I take any pleasure in mocking those who don't share my views. Though I still find anyone who would choose to go out dressed like this to be beyond the pale.

• Upvote 2

it is difficult to find xxxl size in thailand......unless you go to an indian tailor.....so i forgive them..due also to the fact that i concentrate on ladyboy dressing style! ( more to undressing style though )

and being well dressed gives you more chances to be contacted by a classy super classy ladyboy...so they are welcome!

Believe it or not, a close friend of mine wore flip-flops to dinner and later a bar a few nights ago. Hes forgiven though since it was probably a one off, hes usually wearing shoes when out socializing.

The popular wifebeater you'll see on  British expats on soi bukaow.

Singlets or vests are right up there alongside baseball caps and flip flops for evening attire IMO.

Invariably you'll find persons wearing such garments have sweaty handshakes, face stubble and wear the same underpants for two or three days.

No body whom takes the remotest pride in their appearance would wear a "wife beater" after dark.

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, a close friend of mine wore flip-flops to dinner and later a bar a few nights ago. Hes forgiven though since it was probably a one off, hes usually wearing shoes when out socializing.

It was the first heavy rain in quite some time and I didn't want to ruin my shoes or get them filthy unnecessarily.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it  :biggrin:

my grandad in Florida wore the white ones. As did many italian gents in Joisey when I was a kid (to the point where they were referred to as Guinea T's in those oh so bad pre PC days). This was always around the home and yard tho, NOT going out in public places. I've decided that most of these guys seem to think it's more comfy as the HEAT is KILLING them. Ppl just don't seem to care anymore. I've actually seen a woman in the supermarket in a housecoat and slippers. And lord knows the larger a person is the less they seem to care about how much of that they expose.  I think maybe there is a "fuck you, I'm ME" component in some of this.  Modern life is filled with "don't give a fuck" it seems.  Maybe there's just a whole lot more CLUELESS out there now. I will say some of the clueless sorts might not pack for the HEAT and see other singlet wearers and think it's a good idea. Still, I find it vulgar. Never owned one, even when I was a rail in me yoot.

I wear flip flops 24/7 ALL YEAR so sorry. I do have a nice black leather pair for going out tho :)

• Upvote 2

True confessions...

While I don't quite have the girth of the gentleman pictured my first couple of trips I wore Singha singlets out at night sometime. <gasp> I was so fucking hot I did what I could to cool down. My second trip was the last week of April and all of May. I was phucking melting. Most of the rest of the time I wore those thin white pull over shirts you can buy everywhere in Thailand which aren't a lot better. I remember being in a packed Happy A GoGo one night and noticing only two other guys were wearing singlets so I shyed away from the practice. But phuck it I was hot so that is the way it goes. And if I was carrying the girth of the guy in the picture I would probably work up a sweat walking 20 feet.

Fortunately since then I have discovered shirts made with moisture wicking material. Even with short sleeves they are cooler than singlets as they dispurse the moisture better. It is the only kind of shirt I take on trips now. It's been years since I have worn a singlet in Thailand but I still have a couple of Singha singlets, and a Chang, around here somewhere. I have a couple of sleeveless shirts that do cover my shoulders that I take along to wear at the gym.

FWIW when I did wear singlets girls where just as happy to take my baht as they are when I'm somewhat better dressed.

• Upvote 1