I Rover's trips to Ban Chang

globetrotter

so i went in there today to see if they were still doing their Tuesday afternoon trips there, I went there 2 weeks in a row last year and its a total blast, anyways the manager (his name escapes me) told me that unfortunately they stopped doing them about 6 - 8 weeks ago because BC has been getting raided so much, I know Cherry bar was also doing it last year so I will look into that and report back, but expect they have done the same

• Upvote 3

Go to Sukhumvit, take a big blue city bus going South to Rayong, and get off in Ban Chang.

Not usually very crowded, and they stop whenever someone wants to get off.

Price is cheap too. Something like 25 THB.

Is their a bus stop on Sukhumvit or can you flag it down anywhere?

The bus gets off Sukhumvit and goes through the town with the bars?

If I knew exactly to how to get there I'd go one of these days.

Went there once in an I-Rover van.

I don't recall if there is a bus stop under the pedestrian bridge at Sukhumwit and South Road, but have caught the bus there quite a few times.

Yes there is a pedestrian bridge there.   That's where I get off the "Jomtien Bus" from Swampy then I cross the bridge and take a baht bus down Pattaya Tai to my place.

So do you pay on the bus or is there some sort of ticket seller there?

Yes there is a pedestrian bridge there.   That's where I get off the "Jomtien Bus" from Swampy then I cross the bridge and take a baht bus down Pattaya Tai to my place.

So do you pay on the bus or is there some sort of ticket seller there?

There's a ticket girl on the bus. Just tell her, "Ban Chang."

On the way back if you mention Pattaya Tai, they usually make an effort to make sure you don't miss your stop.

• Upvote 1

So then the bus drops you off a few miles from the bars then, right?

How do you get from Sukhumvit near Ban Chang to the bars in Ban Chang?

IIRC, the bar area I am familiar with is on Sukhumwit Soi 25. I can double check that for you, but not now. Send a PM if I forget.

If you miss your stop, just take a motocy taxi; they're all over.

Ban Chang starts at the far side of Utapao (AKA Pala Beach). You don't want to get out there. Ride the bus all the way into Ban Chang proper.

If you are worried, get out at the big Tesco. Usually lots of motocy taxis there.

No rush Mr T.    :character00218:   I'm not going there tomorrow.

I wonder if there are two bars areas in Ban Chang?

I was there just once, maybe twice, forget.

The bars are in a quaint little town and as I recalled quite a distance from Sukhumvit though the street could be called Sukhumvit Soi 25.

If it's easy to get to as in a bus that goes from Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai directly to the bar area then I'm interested in going for sure.

And am concerned about the return trip as don't want to be straded there at 8PM.

If it's too complicated, just not worth the effort for me.  The I-Rovers van was easy though I was locked into their arrival and departure times.

No rush Mr T.    :character00218:   I'm not going there tomorrow.

I wonder if there are two bars areas in Ban Chang?

I was there just once, maybe twice, forget.

The bars are in a quaint little town and as I recalled quite a distance from Sukhumvit though the street could be called Sukhumvit Soi 25.

If it's easy to get to as in a bus that goes from Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai directly to the bar area then I'm interested in going for sure.

And am concerned about the return trip as don't want to be straded there at 8PM.

If it's too complicated, just not worth the effort for me.  The I-Rovers van was easy though I was locked into their arrival and departure times.

Have a look here: http://www.bangkokeyes.com/banchang9009.html

The bar area is a few mins walking distance from Sukhumvit, where the buses run.  When you are in the area, you will see a Tesco Lotus on the right.  You will get off the bus a very short distance on the left, at Soi 25.  Just before Soi 25 is Soi 23, there is a 7-11 and a doctor's office.  Soi 25 has a traffic light, and a big motorcycle shop with a red and white striped facade. All the bars and Camel Inn and the Chang Inn Hotel are on Soi 25.

The exact location of the start of the bars, all on the left side, is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@12.724752,101.050085,3a,75y,340.2h,84.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sannY2fWR4DONRKjE9Xh9RA!2e0

• Upvote 2

The bar area is a few mins walking distance from Sukhumvit, where the buses run.  When you are in the area, you will see a Tesco Lotus on the right.  You will get off the bus a very short distance on the left, at Soi 25.  Just before Soi 25 is Soi 23, there is a 7-11 and a doctor's office.  Soi 25 has a traffic light, and a big motorcycle shop with a red and white striped facade. All the bars and Camel Inn and the Chang Inn Hotel are on Soi 25.

The exact location of the start of the bars, all on the left side, is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@12.724752,101.050085,3a,75y,340.2h,84.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sannY2fWR4DONRKjE9Xh9RA!2e0

I guess the van that took us there took a different route because I don't recall a minutes drive from Sukhumvit.

This makes going there easy.  And if I can't find the bus I can just go to Telephone Bar instead.

But still concerned about exactly where to wait to catch the bus back and flaging it down in the dark.   Have no idea how to find a bus schedule.

I guess the van that took us there took a different route because I don't recall a minutes drive from Sukhumvit.

This makes going there easy.  And if I can't find the bus I can just go to Telephone Bar instead.

But still concerned about exactly where to wait to catch the bus back and flaging it down in the dark.   Have no idea how to find a bus schedule.

Taking Sukhumwit from Pattaya to Ban Chang is actually the long way. If you took a dedicated van service, chances are they went over the hill saving more than a few kilometres and minutes.

The Tesco is a rather large landmark in Ban Chang. It's probably a good guess that the buses stop there. I don't know what the proper etiquette is for Thailand buses, but have never had a problem flagging one down in Ban Chang.

I understand your concern though. How about an afternoon trip to get the lay of the land?

Ban Chang is sort of a mini Soi 6. There is enough to keep you busy for a long afternoon/evening. But that is about all. There is a hotel or two on an adjacent soi if someone wanted to stay overnight. It would be good to get the latest info before planning a trip. If they are getting raided on site STs might be limited/stopped. Also it's a lot better GG place than a LB place. Or it least it was. There were very few LB scattered through the bars. It's basically a 19th hole for the golfers. It's been a couple of years since I went but a bit of LB hunting was required if that is what you are after (maybe better now?). I took a GG last time I went.

I've been twice and had a good time. But I have really no desire to go again. Been there and done that but it is a fun trip. When we went in vans we went by the large hill that has a large buddha outlined. So the van didn't take Sukhumvit much of the way as I recall as Trenton42 stated.   

• Upvote 1