deepthroat

For many travelers today, a good (free) in-room wi-fi connection is considered a basic requirement.

Which hotels have good fast reliable wi-if, and which fall short?

Sadly, my first entry in the category of "THIS WIFI SUCKS" is my current residence and long-time favorite:

PAGE 10 HOTEL - sucks.

Last year it was in decline, and I had to sit in the lobby to find a decent signal and get any work done. This year it's even worse. Virtually unusable in the room it's so slow and unreliable. Lobby is still marginally better, but I shan't be staying here again.

Hopefully someone nominates some hotels in the "THIS WIFI GREAT" category for me to choose from next time.

• Upvote 2

I just stayed at the Page 10 and can only reiterate how horrible the wifi is there.  So bad in fact, I went to TukCom and spent 80 Baht for a 5m Ethernet cable.  Which allowed me to work on my computer at a nice 100 mbit connection speed.  However that doesn't help a tablet, phone, or kindle.

Page 10 has gone down hill in general while their room prices continue to climb.  For the prices they charge, it should have solid wifi.  I started to look for other options while I was still in town.

The couple of places that I stay are decent, last trip I get 6 mbps from ICE INN.  But if the quality of your hotel is Page 10, then you will not be considering Ice Inn.Staying at Ice Inn gives me the bonus of justifying how much I pay.  A poor Canadian like me can't even afford a really nice hotel. :sign0181:

My experience is that the quality of hotel has nothing to do with the quality of Internet connection.

In the higher priced categories of hotel that you demand, the boutique hotel "247 Boutique" on Soi Honey has great wifi and a great rooftop pool. I swim there all the time, they think I stay there. :hi:

Last time I stayed at Baywalk Residence, the wifi was awesome. It's a great hotel with a great location (but no pool). But that's when it was new, so surely the Thais have fucked it up by now.  The Whitehouse on Soi 13 has a lovely rooftop pool and the Internet was really good when my friend stayed there last year.  But the Whitehouse does not allow two guests without a joiner fee (one is no charge).

If you can deal with slightly slower speeds, but really reliable service, get a 3G package for your simcard and use tethering on your smartphone so your other devices can connect.  Then you don't have to care about hotel wifi, and no one will hack your traffic. http://thaiprepaidcard.com/3g-data-plans-for-12call-dtac-and-true/

Not to derail the thread but ..... regardless of anything, I never go anywhere without the $28 Edimax BR-6258n portable router. It is the size of a pack of condoms! and it allows you to create your own WiFi hotspot from a wired connection, or from another WiFi connection.  It works on 90% of the networks I encounter, and makes me feel better that I am adding more security to my traffic. It's really not more work than connecting tablets and smartphones to the hotel wifi.  You just power on the router and wirelessly connect one of your devices to it, then use the easy firmware to tell the router what the connection type, network and password are. Then the router uses that connection, and your devices connect to the router.

The Asus WL-330NUL is similar and newer, and a friend said slightly easier to configure.  They are described at the bottom of this link: http://lifehacker.com/five-best-travel-routers-1452441479 .. And if you'll never use the wired connection, and know nothing about networks, this one is the best: Edimax N150 - http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Wireless-Personal-Hotspot-BR-6258nL/dp/B00ADHPP6Y

• Upvote 4

If you can deal with slightly slower speeds, but really reliable service, get a 3G package for your simcard and use tethering on your smartphone so your other devices can connect.  Then you don't have to care about hotel wifi, and no one will hack your traffic. http://thaiprepaidcard.com/3g-data-plans-for-12call-dtac-and-true/

Thats what i do and I keep my phon's internet on 24-7 ..well i do turn it of befor going to sleep...if i remember that is.. :party0005:

and 2GB is more than enough for 3 weeks holiday.. :yes:

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

• Upvote 1

That's what I used to do when the wifi was down in my old place.  Not good for Youtube etc but fine for reading and posting stuff, even photos sometimes.  The AiS 69 B unlimited 3G per week was great but some members have reported going to their main branch in Central Festival and the staff saying that deal is finished.  BS, just ask any Thai you know to put you on a good internet package, there is no way they are paying 00s of baht for 2 or 3 gigs a month and they know how to get your phone onto the best deals.  Removes the stress of worry about what the hotel wifi will be like to some extent.

Fantastic post Kuhn Eyemahk. Never realized u were a Cnuck. I may have to try Tuccom tomorrow to see if I can pick up an Edimax and short Ethernet cable so I can plug into the port in room and them use my iPad.

I'm not really Canadian, I just tell the GGs and LBs that I am so I can pay them less. :biggrin:

I think you will not find the Edimax at Tukcom, as I have never seen their products anywhere in Thailand. The Asus WL-330NUL is a longshot, but you might try downloading a pic of it from Amazon or a site that sells it, then showing that pic around the computer shops.  If you can't find the router, you can drown your sorrows with a blowjob behind the curtain at Carre Blanc club, 5 mins walk away. :party0011:   I go there everytime I go to Tukcom.

• Upvote 1

That's what I used to do when the wifi was down in my old place.  Not good for Youtube etc but fine for reading and posting stuff, even photos sometimes.  The AiS 69 B unlimited 3G per week was great but some members have reported going to their main branch in Central Festival and the staff saying that deal is finished.  BS, just ask any Thai you know to put you on a good internet package, there is no way they are paying 00s of baht for 2 or 3 gigs a month and they know how to get your phone onto the best deals.  Removes the stress of worry about what the hotel wifi will be like to some extent.

I used the 69 B package last week.  I found the codes online and just plugged them into my phone, didn't actually go to the store.  They say it is unlimited, but you get 750 MB at 3G -- which was more than enough for a week.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=4&type=mobile_package#tips

EyeMahk it worked like a charm. Tuccom had TP-LINK but different model - TL-WR702N

Girl quoted 1000b, I said 900b? She smiled and started writing out a receipt.

I plugged it in (Ethernet and power connections), waited for solid green light.

Looked for TP-LINK on wifi networks, entered the password found small sticker on the device, put in Page 10 wifi password, and done.

Took 1 minute total to get online.

The code for the AIS weekly,89 baht plus a little bit internet  is

*777*731hash

(sorry, found the hash symbol on my keyboard, but can't get it to work)

make sure that you have over 90 baht on your sim, punch in the code, wait until you get a confirmatory text and you are done.

Every week, they send you a text to remind you to top up.

• Upvote 1

DF, I think the TL-WR702N is a slightly different animal than the ones I listed, in regards to bridge-mode/WISP/repeater/etc.  Obviously discussion that does not belong on a ladyboy forum ... a good thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1350472-worlds-smallest-wireless-router-hotel-rooms-5.html

Another advantage of these types of travel routers like you bought is that you can place them somewhere there is a better wifi signal (like in the window) and then have your device anywhere in the room.  Because the of concrete construction of the walls in most Thai hotels, sometimes hanging the travel router on the door knob of the wooden door significantly improves the signal.