Italian restaurant in Pattaya

globetrotter

I hate it when that happens!

But Pdoggg is right. Have to thank you guys for taking me there. Only place in Thailand I want to go for spaghetti.

Just wish they'd put Lambrusco on the menu. And someone should tell them that San Pellegrino is available at Villa Market.

I hate it when that happens!

But Pdoggg is right. Have to thank you guys for taking me there. Only place in Thailand I want to go for spaghetti.

Just wish they'd put Lambrusco on the menu. And someone should tell them that San Pellegrino is available at Villa Market.

Damn, I really totally forgot. 

Ok, since we've already been there then forget me paying the next time.  :biggrin:

I couldn't say as always have pasta at Passatore. I've never seen anyone have pizza and come to think of it i don't think it's even on their menu. Xyzzy?

Wow interesting, I am surprised they don't do pizza, how would you compare the pizza at the Swedish place on soi 7 then , walked past last night but they were closed already

eaten maybe a dozen times at Volterra over the past few years and it's always ranged from good to very good. the owner/chef always friendly and appreciative (unlike the other eateries along that short soi i have visited in the past). best pizza i've had in pattaya. the staff is friendly and mostly attentive (unlike my former favorite pattaya eatery--LK's).

low key--and low decibel--atmosphere provides an excellent spot to actually converse over a good meal and a decanter of mediocre wine. you can almost forget you're in the sewer by the sea.

• Upvote 1

Wow interesting, I am surprised they don't do pizza, how would you compare the pizza at the Swedish place on soi 7 then , walked past last night but they were closed already

I'm not the right guy to ask about pizzas. I like Pizza Huts deep pan, and not too crazy about the thin euro style.

Never had pizza at any of the italian places discussed here. Xyzzy is the pizza-expert.

last time i was in pattaya was 3 years ago and i used to go to a bar owned by a thai woman married to an italian man in the complex on the corner with pattaya klang and second road...it was the first bar on the left coming form the small street of Memorial pattaya hospital.

It was a bar with good prices for beer and the italian man that was an excellent host, used to prepare free italian dishes for the usual customers....never tasted them as i am italian...so i can have plenty of italian food at home...just curious to know if it still exists...

last time i was in pattaya was 3 years ago and i used to go to a bar owned by a thai woman married to an italian man in the complex on the corner with pattaya klang and second road...it was the first bar on the left coming form the small street of Memorial pattaya hospital.

It was a bar with good prices for beer and the italian man that was an excellent host, used to prepare free italian dishes for the usual customers....never tasted them as i am italian...so i can have plenty of italian food at home...just curious to know if it still exists...

The restaurant was caller ROGER'S and it was terrific. The entrance was off a small alley in between Klang and the hospital. It was at the very back of the beer bars that fronted on Second Rd. In any event the food was great and Roger cooked well and to your taste. Unfortunately it is no longer there. Don't know if he opened some where else. 

• Upvote 2

La Taverna del Passatore does not have pizza. My favorite pizzas are Pizza Italy and Globetrotter off Soi 7. But the are vastly different. Pizza Italy is more of a thin crust Italian style pizza and Globetrotter is a thicker more filling pizza from a Scandinavian restaurant. Both are great but pizza preferences often come down to the style of pizza one prefers.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

We had a big discussion last night about the merits of Taverna Passatorre vs Volterra.

I vote for Volterra.

Passatorre can be hot and uncomfortable especially the inside tables while Volterra has AC.

Volterra has great house wine. Passatorre has piss.

Volterra has extra virgin olive oil on table.  Passatorre has cheap salad oil.

Had the lasagna last night at Volterra and it was great!  But I've always thought the food at Passtorre was excellent too..

At Passatorre you get a free after dinner lemoncello or sambuca which is a nice touch but I think that's occasionally offered at Volterra.

• Upvote 2

La Taverna del Passatore has  better food. That has to be the number one criteria.

They have hot cappuccino, and they give the right dish to the right person.

I like both places, but since you brought up piss and cheap salad dressing its only fair i point out the minus from last night.

Also, a main course, drink and coffee is about 100 baht less at Passatore, which is of importance for expats on a budget.

• Upvote 1

I too love Italian food so if anyone's planning a visit to Passatore or Volterra I'd like to join   :party0021:

La Taverna del Passatore - I really like it there and I love their spaghetti bolognese. The lasagna is pretty good too but only available on certain days. The cappucino and free limoncello are very palatable also.

- Would I go again? - Yes, definitely. Even on my own!

Volterra - A few nights ago there was a crowd of us at Volterra and it was very enjoyable. Due in main to our large group (9?) and the fact we had the place to ourselves with no music and in air-conditioned comfort. I have to say that I was not particularly impressed with my pizza funghi and the cappucinos came out one every 5 minutes, some people's were cold. No complementary shot either.

- Would I go again? - Yes, with friends.

Pizza Italy - Their pizza is fine, but not spectacular. That's all I remember as it's been a while as it was convenient from where I used to live.

- Would I go again? - Only if someone really wanted to go there with me.

Dominoes - Been twice in nearly 3 years when too bone-idle to go anywhere else.

- Would I go again? - Only if she's up-country, I'm hungry and feel lazy and don't fancy eating out alone. Take-away, two for one. It's a 5 minute walk from me.

I prefer the food at La Taverna del Passatore over Volterra. But not so much I wouldn't go to Volterra. The owner at LTDP doesn't strike me as a people person. The owner at Volterra is more friendly and the AC is a nice plus. I usually have one glass of house red near the end of a meal so wine selection isn't super important to me. Been a long time since I had a pizza at Volterra. I remember not being impressed but the style was a bit different than I am use to.

My favorite pizza, of all I have tried in Pattaya, is Pizza Italy. But again I think pizza likes/dislikes have a lot to do with what style a person prefers.  

• Upvote 1