Really? Really? REALLY?!?

Guest route67

Guest route67

Tory MP says National Health Service should use ASTROLOGY to diagnose patients, and anyone who is against the idea is a bully and a racist.  Of course they are, dear...now you lie down and the nice man will come round with your sleepy happy pill soon...

Stupid, dumbass, fucktard Tory MP

All our cousins from across the water may now feel reassured that they are not alone in having braindead elected officials...

• Upvote 1

There's much to be said for "alternative medicine".

Modern Western Medicine is great for curing serious diseases but perhaps some new approaches to wellness might be beneficial.

Organizations such as the AMA have a vested interest in the status quo.

Is there any great downside to scheduling elective surgery on a day that the stars are aligned for you and your Doc?

Nancy Reagen supposedly tried to modify Ronnie's schedule based on astrology.

What was considered good medicine centuries ago has now been debunked; bleeding a patient for example.

So the future could yield some surprising discoveries.

Just saying.

Here's a doctor who who practices in another galaxy:

Guest LaBambaBar

There's a HUGE difference between scheduling non-emergency surgery to make a patient more comfortable (& therefore more compliant...), and using bunkum like astrology to diagnose medical conditions.

I seem to recall a study a few years ago about the effects of prayer on post-surgery recovery. Of course, the effwits who believe in their imaginary sky-friend seized upon the finding that patients who knew they were being prayed for had better recovery times than those (with similarly absurd beliefs) who were told they were not being prayed for. What was NOT highlighted was the finding that patients who believed they were prayed for, but were NOT actually the recipient of magical good wishes, had very similar recovery times. Thus, the power of prayer was actually debunked!

Any doctor will tell you that someone who believes they will survive has a better chance of doing so than someone (with a similar condition) who does not.

Prayer works.  Even if for the wrong reasons.

I wonder if religious people are happier than atheists?

Opiates can be fun!

I would think that education is the enemy of religion.

Maybe we need some new modern "religions" that are not based on "the man in the sky".

Infinity would be a good name if I were to start one.

, and using bunkum like astrology to diagnose medical conditions.

ha ha

I read that as well and thought it was April 1 already... what a prick...the guy needs a Lobotomy.. good old fashioned style

Almost as bad as those stupid Chinese Cures that have sent the poor Tigers and others to the brink of extinction. A load of bunkum and the sooner these clowns wise up the better

• Upvote 1

Prayer does NOT work. I thought I had been very clear on that point.  Here's a link to the study, as reported in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

That reported study is nearly 10 years old..............You couldn't find any research more recent.............

Long-Awaited Medical Study Questions the Power of Prayer
By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: March 31, 2006

Truth is there has been very limited research on the subject of intercessory prayer and much of the research is flawed....Many scientists admit that they simply don't know............

If intercessory prayer makes someone happy, who am I to say that they shouldn't be happy......

If those folks believe that they are doing good, who am I to tell them that they ain't doing nothing.......

Being an atheist means only that I don't believe in God...It don't make me an expert on religion or grant me special powers to critique other folks beliefs...The horse ain't so high in my country...............

And PD....I'd name my religion Pussy-Cock...........Most guys (present company excepted) already get down on their knees to worship pussy.............And the ladies (and most of us) get down on their (our) knees to worship cock....So pretty much got everyone locked up even before our first revival meeting...........Could be a real fun meeting.................

Hallelujah..................Pass the collection plate.............................No cum tithing allowed...................
  • Upvote 2

Would you all agree that the universe always was and always will be?

Even if our solar system and galaxy gets wiped out.

IF that is true, if the universe in infinite time wise, then wouldn't it also be true that everything happens at least once.  Maybe farting twice instead of once before you shave?  Or eating an 11 ounce steak on Moday instead of a 12 ounce steak on Monday?  Or where Ghandi is bad and Hitler is good? Or maybe a reality where everyone has a 12 inch cock?  Or where astrology can be used to cure people?

...but it does grant you special powers to decide when 'research is flawed,' it seems...

Kahuna, the power of prayer was so completely demolished (less than 9 years ago, actually) that no further study has since been required.

No, but my education and my ability to read does....Which of those are you lacking Mr. La Bamba.............

I never argued that intercessory prayer was proven to work or not to work...I am simply stating my opinion that those who believe that it works have an absolute right to believe................

What do you think all those LBs  in Pattaya believe............All those who prepare your meals....All those who drive the buses....You want to take their belief................

Moreover, I have been known to fart 3 times before I shave.............

We can all find studies to prove anything..............Farting 3 times before I shave ensures that I will not cut myself while shaving.......

The world is flat.............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1300506/Prayers-really-heal-sick-finds-international-study.html

Guest LaBambaBar

No, but my education and my ability to read does....Which of those are you lacking Mr. La Bamba

I never argued that intercessory prayer was proven to work or not to work...I am simply stating my opinion that those who believe that it works have an absolute right to believe....

Apparently you believe the opposite.........In my mind that is a sad way to live a life........

Moreover, I have been known to fart 3 times before I shave.............

It seems your ability to read has somewhat let you down this time.

Oh, and unlike our American friends, I don't feel the need to go around proclaiming what I believe or how worthy I am for standing up for others' rights to believe in whatever.

Just this once, however, i will make something so clear that even a Yank could understand it:

I believe that everyone and anyone has the right to believe in whatever they like.  I also believe that those beliefs can be ridiculed by anyone without that right to believe being diminished in any way.

• Upvote 1

We live in THIS universe, pdogg.

Yes we do.  We live in this universe; this reality.

And if I were to go for a colonoscopy, I would sure be a fool to go to an astrologer instead of a proctologist.

I know this is a bit of an off topic thread phuck but it would be kind of boring if we just all agreed that it is silly to waste taxpayer's money on the fusion of astrology and medicine. 

So do you believe that the universe always was and always will be?

If so, if the universe is infinite time-wise does this mean that every possibility will actually occur at some point or can time be infinite with some things never happening?

And

It seems your ability to read has somewhat let you down this time.

Oh, and unlike our American friends, I don't feel the need to go around proclaiming what I believe or how worthy I am for standing up for others' rights to believe in whatever.

Just this once, however, i will make something so clear that even a Yank could understand it ..............

What the fuck does being an American have to do with any of this........

I don't know where you are from and I don't care where you are from......

I truly don't have to feel superior to other folk to be happy......

And I don't think that is a Yank thing.........

But it is very sad to me that you would make you dislike for Yanks a part of your argument.........

So be it...

• Upvote 1

So do you believe that the universe always was and always will be?

If so, if the universe is infinite time-wise does this mean that every possibility will actually occur at some point or can time be infinite with some things never happening?

Its very complex. This  Universe is 13.7 Billion Years old as measured by oldest  Light waves seen coming to us..but it could be infinite in size depending on how you explain the term. One line of thought is that it will die by heat death (entropy)and so nothing will exist that can act as a clock and that means time would have no meaning at that point ... this train of thought was common until 5 years ago

There are other Scenarios but again pretty complex. This is just one Universe among many is current thinking.

This Universe may die or could bounce back etc etc.

Brian Greene is the best popular science author on this subject... " The Hidden Reality " being the best book  of his IMO

• Upvote 1

Assuming time is infinite and the universe and beyond is infinite too ...

Is it then possible for the atoms which constitute me right now, my physical being and my mind, could at some time in the future all come together again so I live again?  ..  Maybe I have lived already and just forgotten about it.

Maybe my mind alone could be reconstituted in another life form and in a future (or past) life I have lived as another being.

Imagine a moment of deja vu billions of years down the line where some transsexual alien is about to squat on my face in a short-time capsule in some seedy part of the galaxy ... The alien then turns out to be a reincarnation of Ned in a sexy body wearing 6" stripper pumps.

• Upvote 1