Opening up Thai bank acct

globetrotter

Kasikorn has some health insurance they try and sell you when you renew your debt card. And they don't even tell you about it they just add it on. I think it makes the total card fee 800B a year. I believe they also have a higher level of insurance you can add. When I last renewed my card I told them just renew the card and no insurance please. So I've never had the insurance fee.

I did look at my statement a few months back and had a fee labeled "Commission" for 199B. I have no idea what that fee is about. Anyone?

Hey DC I have had a Kasikorn A/C since 2011 and the only charge i ever get is 250 bht each year (i suppose a/c keeping fee) and i leave only about 800 and 1000 baht in each time i leave. Never had any trouble....Hope it hasn't changed, since i have not been back since November last year.....What problems did you have ?

Cheers Boot

I lost faith in Kasikorn Bank and decided a few years ago I would never put any more money their way again.

Thieving bastards.

Back when I first moved to Pattaya, about a week before I departed from the UK, I transferred £10,000 to my Kasikorn Bank account which I'd had for about 4 years. Upon arrival in Bangkok I checked at a Kasikorn ATM and although it accepted my PIN it told me to "Contact your branch".

Upon arrival in Pattaya a few days later I checked at an ATM again and the same happened, so I visited a branch. They checked my account on their system then told me "Sorry Sir, account closed", followed by a stupid Thai smile which meant I don't really care. There was a sum of money still in the account before it closed although not a lot, perhaps in the region of 4 or 5 thousand Baht which was either lost or stolen by them, whichever way you wish to look at it. Perhaps it was account inactivity or secret insurance which had drained the account and that was the reason it was closed. There was no explanation, just smiles and ineptitude. TiT. So who knows?

About 3 weeks later and after considerable concern the funds eventually arrived back in my UK bank account, minus fees, naturally. Apart from the worry, inconvenience, plus the total cost to send my money for a 3-week jaunt around the world cost me almost £100 in fees. Add that to the money thieved and that's what's pissed me off with them.

In the meantime I was stupid enough to open a new account with Kasikorn and after a while discovered money slowly disappearing. Later I found that to be this secret hidden insurance I never knew I had. I still have that account but it won't last long as I withdrew everything bar about B40.

Hence my desire to open-up a new account with Bangkok Bank, which I have now done and funds transferred from home have since been received.

A useful link for foreign customers wishing to open an account with Bangkok Bank: -

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank.

• Upvote 1

Just got this email from Bangkok Bank today:

Dear Bualuang iBanking member

Please be aware of forged or false messages that may be sent to you via SMS, MMS or email or fake screens claiming to be from the Bank in an attempt to extract your personal banking information. These messages try to trick you into downloading or installing malicious software or applications onto your mobile phone, smartphone, tablet or PC. This is dangerous since you follow their instructions, thieves can steal your personal ID, password and every SMS including One Time Password (OTP) for making a funds transfer from your account via internet banking. The fraudulent funds transfer can be made without your awareness.

For your own safety in making transactions on devices such as mobile phone, smartphone, tablet or PC, we strongly recommend that you:

• Do not click the link (URL) in SMS, MMS or email or fake screens as mentioned above
  • Do not download or install programs from unreliable sources
  • Do not make financial transactions using any device with jail-broken (iOS) or rooted (Android) operating systems
  • Install anti-virus applications onto your mobile phone, smartphone, tablet and PC

Bangkok Bank will never send an SMS, MMS or emails requesting you to download or install any software or application to make a transaction with us or introduce any pop-up or screen asking for your personal information. Therefore, if you receive this kind of SMS, MMS or emails, or have clicked any link to download suspicious software or application, or see any unfamiliar/irregular screen, please immediately stop any transactions and contact Bualuang Phone 1333 or (66) 0-2645-5555. Our service is available 24/7.

Sincerely,

Bualuang iBanking

This e-mail is not a secure form of communication - please do not reply to this e-mail. If you have any questions or need assistance, please call Bualuang Phone or go to the ‘Contact Us’ section at Bangkok Bank’s website.

Note: Bangkok Bank will never ask for your password or PIN number. Do not give this information to anyone.

Note: Bangkok Bank will never ask for your password or PIN number. Do not give this information to anyone.

Kasikorn has been at this for a while. When you go to their web page you get a big warning screen. K-Bank used to let you have a second pin that would allow transactions to be made without getting a code via SMS. But they discontinued that practice some time ago because of security problems. So one now must have a way to receive a SMS to do most any transaction. I have a quad band unlocked phone and 12Call allows me to receive unlimited free international text messages. So I can still bank from the US if necessary.

• Upvote 1