Whatever happened to Phuket?

Perhaps it's just me but I don't hear about as many guys visiting Phuket as say 5 to 10 years ago. Maybe the Philippines, Cambodia etc have replaced it as a side trip from the main event Pattaya. I know most of the regular posters have been down south at some stage but it does not appear to attract the repeat visitor and in the last few months I don't think I have heard anyone mention going there.

I used to love the place but my last visit was 8 years ago. I know it has its die hard fans who go religiously but have the guys who like a few days side trip given up on it?

Phuket is still a popular tourist destination with significant visitor numbers, but for experienced lb mongers, unless you have a favorite lb or enjoy the beaches, scuba, snorkeling, etc - once you've visited a few times, it is generally enough. The last time I visited Phuket was 2.5 years ago.

That said there are still plenty of newbie lb mongers who check out the action there - and I would not discourage them.

• Upvote 1

As far as the ladyboy scene is concerned, things seldom change on Phuket, save for a few new faces, C&D's permanent staff pretty much remains a very similar ageing line up as three/four years ago when I was last on the island, recruitment seems to be a real problem for dear Jimbo.

The vast of majority of ladyboys in Soi Croc are posties which make no appeal to 90% of the LB Shagging Brigade.

Most guys whom started their mongering life exclusively in Patong have now gravitated to Pattaya where the choice is huge in comparison.

In Pattaya, always plenty of new recruits coming into the ranks like the current batch from the Philippines in addition to many Laotians and usual supply of Isaan honeyz, Phuket just can not compete with the fuck fest Sin City has to offer.

• Upvote 3

FOR SURE it can't "compete with the fuck fest Sin City has to offer" but I managed to spend two weeks there in March of last year and "ate" my fill of mainly "freelancers" hanging out around Bangla and Soi Croc and one well known woman from C&D and even some wandering home up Soi Sansabar. I like the sea, and the open air sewer that's called the sea in Pattaya just will not cut it. That said when the cruise ships are anchored off Patong beach they are just dumping STRAIGHT into the bay. Arseholes as they all have holding tanks!

It's definitely not as cruisey as it was say five years ago but it's STILL worth a look. Probably a week would be more than enough for most.

It's hey day was back when Aussie Don? was working there with that other Aussie chap who shan't be mentioned when C&D was still in Tiger, and Soi Croc REALLY did ROCK!

One plus is that many international flights land directly in Phuket by passing the Bangkok transit and associated costs, although Phuket/Patong especially if you land after 22:00hrs and before 6:00hrs STILL has the most well tuned taxi mafia in all of Thailand. However Patong is compact enough to walk around avoiding taxis full stop.

• Upvote 2

As I mentioned in the OP, I was last there 8 years ago.  I really enjoyed my times there, wandering off the beach in the later afternoon, up Bangla as it was getting ready for another night and crashing in my GH near Paradise for a couple of hours before hitting the tiles.  But in late '07 I started to go to Pattaya properly and I just found it so convenient to pop there from Bkk, and also head over to Hua Hin when the mood took me.  Phuket just drifted off the radar as I could find all I wanted in the other 3 locations.  I never missed the place and from what I have heard in the intervening years it has become less appealing re taxi mafia, prices etc.

Speaking to a few guys that used to do their entire trip in HKT, the lack of new faces to conquer plus Soi Croc downsizing at an alarming rate has lead them to embrace Pattaya with open arms.

I used to stay near the entrance to the Paradise area and I did see some mincers scurrying around.  I was not really into femboy-ish types back then, that came later with the bad company I keep in Pattaya.  But I am sure if I was single again and down that way that would be the place i would be hunting, that's presuming it has not changed in the last 8 years.

Ok so I now realise Jimbo does not contibutute within these pages otherwise he would have been along with the cavalry before now

Perhaps there in lies part of the problem.  Out of sight etc whereas places like the PIs, and Cambodia to a lesser extent tend to get more coverage and thus more traffic heading their way.  The more seasoned and adventurous amongst us are looking for new, fresher pastures and not the same old scene year in year out.  Rx above mentions "enjoy the beaches, scuba, snorkeling, etc" as a reason to head south but the PIs offer this also so there's another reason not to go to Phuket for those activities if you are also looking for new LB faces also.

I was in Phuket recently and enjoyed it again after a long absense.  Doing it 100% different was the key for me.

I stayed away for a long time as I disliked the Patong area with all it's madness and scummy people.

This time I drove there and stayed in Rawai ( southern most area ) and enjoyed the experience. The hotel with parking was a great price, nice beaches and the restaurants the right money too.  None of the inflated farang bullshit.

There isn't a great choice of action in that area but still plenty enough to go round, just more chilled. Also perfect for me and my biking with hills and smooth roads every where.

You can always pop to Patong for a mad one, so I will return again soon and play some more.   :biggrin:  

• Upvote 1

There's the thing. There are PLENTY of new faces in Patong and yes it's good to see some of the old faces too. All in a relatively compact and hassle free space. There is a lot to like. You don't REALLY swim in the Pattaya sewer do you?

You're kidding yourself if you think the beach water is any cleaner in Patong. They run untreated sewage out to the beach just like Pattaya.

I'm over Phuket.

The sense of constantly being ripped off just destroys any fun for me.

You can't go from Beach A to beach B without paying 800+ baht, the hotels want to charge ridiculous joiner fees and even when you do pay them they still don't allow your guest to use the facilities have breakfast etc..

One time I checked in with a friend, who was going to stay the week, and in the evening security still tried to collect a joiner and refused to give me his name when I compained.

All the shops are over priced, unless you go to Tesco...and fuck it, I got Tesco here.

And the talent on Bangla is wanting...and a rip off. One friend told me on his last trip the girl tried to get TWO bar fines out of him, one for mamasan and one for bar. He walked away.

Too many better options in Thailand to endure a trip to Phuket again. Only nice thing I can say about it, is it acts as kind of a magnet for the scummiest Thais (and thats nice if you go elsewhere).

• Upvote 3

You SURE went to a different Patong/Phuket to me. The only rip off I encountered was one Bangla "LB starfish" freelancer who got paid exactly what she was "worth" and the fuking taxi mafia which I skirted around and never paid one single Satang to. Different places grab different people

• 2 years later...

On 2/3/2015 at 4:41 PM, Foggy said:

This time I drove there and stayed in Rawai ( southern most area ) and enjoyed the experience. The hotel with parking was a great price, nice beaches and the restaurants the right money too.  None of the inflated farang bullshit.

PHUKET: An unidentified ladyboy was seriously injured after jumping off a bridge in Rawai early this morning.

“Locals reported the incident at about 1:30am. We found her lying unconscious on the ground under the bridge, without any identification documents on her person,” said Lt Col Kanaen Somrak of Chalong Police.

Police told Phuket Gazette reporters that she looked to be 25-30 years old. She was later taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

“We also questioned people in the area, but they could not identify her. No one knows who she is or how she arrived at the bridge. They did, however, confirm that she jumped herself and that no foul play was involved,” he added.

Police are now trying to locate her relatives.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Ladyboy-injured-jumping-off-Phuket-bridge/66372?desktopversion