the no Google song lyric trivia thread

how about this one to start off with

"oh Alexander I see you beneath the archway of aerodynamics"

ok so maybe I am the only fan of theirs on here, but mine was "Alec Eiffel" by The Pixies

You know he was a real smart Alec ? 

Only just seen this Pixies were one of my favourite bands I saw them in Ireland in 1991 just before they split Black Francis screaming from a PA loudhailer they were something else .

Not too keen on their new material since they reformed , hard to capture that old edge again . 

"I had a love affair with Nina,in the back of my Cortina, a seasoned up hyena,could not have been more obscener...."....

And another which featured as the theme tune in a cult movie..."And i find it kinda funny,find it kinda sad,but the dreams in which i'm dying are the best i ever had..."

The second one is Mad World - by Tears for Fears

Actually, the song was written by Roland Orzabel and Tears for Fears, but I think the version he's referring to was performed by someone else in that weird cult film about the rabbit that the dude hallucinated.... can't recall the title and we're not supposed to Google so I won't. But anyone - half right. It's "Mad World" but not by Tears For Fears. At least not the version he was referring to (which of course has the same lyrics as the tears for fears version after all).

Ok, now I'm being pedantic. Nevermind. 

The second one is Mad World - by Tears for Fears

Actually, the song was written by Roland Orzabel and Tears for Fears, but I think the version he's referring to was performed by someone else in that weird cult film about the rabbit that the dude hallucinated.... can't recall the title and we're not supposed to Google so I won't. But anyone - half right. It's "Mad World" but not by Tears For Fears. At least not the version he was referring to (which of course has the same lyrics as the tears for fears version after all).

Ok, now I'm being pedantic. Nevermind.

spot on bb......tears for fears did the original......spot on dt,....donnie darko was the movie,gary jules did the cover version for the soundtrack......probably the best version imo.....

anyone for the other song?.......clue.......named after a town in essex

Money can't buy back your youth when you're old, a friend when you're lonely, or a love that's gone cold.

Ian & Sylvia "Satisfied Mind"... one of my favorites Lefty, have a bunch of their LPs that get constant play... & you probably thought it was a real stumper   :hi:  Just recently listened to "The French Girl" ( as in Quebec) recently on utube 'cos this flashed on me one day: 

"Vague promises to meet again... but her friends down at the French cafe had no english words for me."    Nice....

Ok same time period, hope it's not too obscure, it was a big hit here in the Jurassic era:

And when I see the sign that points one way

The lot we used to pass by every day

....(Song title)....

You won't see me follow you back home

The empty sidewalks on my block are not the same

You're not to blame

yup their early days for sure, how about this one:

"life's the same your shaking like tremolo, life's the same except for my shoes "

and this one :

" got me a movie I want you to know, slicing up eyeballs I want you to know, girly so groovy I want you to know "

ok the first one is" Moving in stereo "by The Cars from their classic first album the first side had all the hits on it but side 2 was better

as per this one

Ian & Sylvia "Satisfied Mind"... one of my favorites Lefty, have a bunch of their LPs that get constant play... & you probably thought it was a real stumper   :hi:  Just recently listened to "The French Girl" ( as in Quebec) recently on utube 'cos this flashed on me one day: 

"Vague promises to meet again... but her friends down at the French cafe had no english words for me."    Nice....

I know ir as a Johnny Cash song. Not heard anyone else covering it. 

It's funny, I had a feeling that it was older than my guess so I did google it & it goes all the way back to the 50s, written by 2 guys I never heard of, covered by a lot of artists since then including Ella Fitzgerald. Ian Tyson was such a good writer I just ascribed it to him, but thinking about it it sounded older...

"I had a love affair with Nina,in the back of my Cortina, a seasoned up hyena,could not have been more obscener...."....

And another which featured as the theme tune in a cult movie..."And i find it kinda funny,find it kinda sad,but the dreams in which i'm dying are the best i ever had..."

Yes, the first one is "Billericay Dickie" (not sure spelling) from the album New Boots and Panties - Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

• Upvote 1