Be Insured & Carry It on You!

bumblebee

A granddad is fighting for his life after a mysterious attack in Thailand where he suffered a bleed on the brain and required major surgery.

Nigel Holmes, 66, from Poole in Dorset, was visiting his girlfriend in the popular beach resort of Pattaya when he was set upon - but his family do not know what happened or why.

It is believed he could have been unconscious for up to two days before he was found by anyone.

Language barriers have made it difficult for his four worried children to find out more information and the cost of his treatment is mounting.

Despite his serious condition the grandfather-of-four was discharged after just three days and had to go back to hospital when a second scan showed more bleeding.

His daughter Amanda Hunt said they only found out their father was in hospital when his girlfriend called on February 4.

She said: "We really have no idea what happened to him and with the language barriers between us and the officials in Thailand I'm not sure we will ever get to the bottom of it.

"They think that maybe he could have been unconscious for two days before he was found by anyone.

"The first we heard about it was when his girlfriend called us on February 4 to say he was in hospital in quite a serious condition."

Her sister Katy is a nurse and asked doctors in Thailand to send over brain scans to her colleagues at Dorset County Hospital, where they found he was at risk of suffering a blood clot in his brain.

Mr Holmes returned to hospital on Friday and had surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain.

His children Amanda, Katy, Joanna and Andy are having to deal with mounting hospital bills as his insurance only covers £1,400 worth of treatment and the surgery cost £10,000 - with each day in hospital £600.

Mrs Hunt, 37, said: "We began to get really worried when we spoke to dad on the phone and couldn't get much sense out of him.

"So we contacted a friend who is in Thailand on holiday.

"He visited our dad and was straight away concerned that he should be at hospital because he was suffering with a lot of pain and severely dehydrated as well as being very confused and not knowing who people are.

"The problem is we don't know how long it's going to be until he will be fit enough to leave the hospital and travel back home.

"There isn't an NHS in Thailand and dad's insurance only covers £1,400 - the surgery alone was £10,000 and a day in hospital costs about £600.

"It's getting very expensive and we don't even know how long this could go on for.

"Our dad is a lovely gentle man who is adored by his grandchildren, we just want to bring him home."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-grandfather-fighting-life-after-7373976

I use IHI BUPA. Covers everything no limit with the exception of professional motor sport. I have had medical attention needs a number of times, but really if the bill is under 10k baht, I do not claim. I do not know if what I pay is excessive or otherwise, but I do not care coz I know the insurance works when necessary. I too always have my insurance card, copy of passport, and my visa card in my pocket. I have read so many scary stories of people in Asia without insurance, I would never take that chance. I hope things work out for Mr. Holmes, but to be honest, comeing to Thailand with insurance that covers £1400 is worse than naive.

• Upvote 2

Another sobering reminder that it is essential to have adequate insurance cover when away from home, and have it on your person at all times. If I hadn't had it last year I'd still be paying back the medical costs for a few more years to come with no hope of enough for a holiday or other luxuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Medjet is a medical evacuation program for USA, Canada, and Mexico residents.

Personally I'd rather be in a Thai hospital than an American hospital but others would rather be home.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/444-medjet/

Medjet Member Benefits Include:

Hospital of Choice in Your Home Country
Air-Medical Transport
Medical Monitoring and Consultation
Travel Health and Safety Precautions
Legal Referrals
Immunization Requirements
Medical Referrals
Transport of Mortal Remains
Emergency Message Relay
Telephone Interpretation

• 4 weeks later...

So ...could any of you that live in Thailand tell me what you pay for good medical insurance and your age, I understand that there are a lot details but just a brief of what it covers and haw much it cost. I been in the hospital twice in Thailand and it was way better than in America but both time it was for minor stuff. Thanks

• Upvote 1

i just paid 168 euros for medical insurance for 2 months in Thailand. ( from italy )

i put all the informations on my phone rather then in papers

In Brazil when i broke my left foot i was cured for free in a public hospital ( i had no insurance )

In cuba when i broke my right foot i was cured for a 100 usd fee in hospital ( before being cured,  i had to go to Atm with a broken foot as the card i had was not accepted...only cash ...i was rather disappointed )

• Upvote 1

i just paid 168 euros for medical insurance for 2 months in Thailand. ( from italy )

i put all the informations on my phone rather then in papers

In Brazil when i broke my left foot i was cured for free in a public hospital ( i had no insurance )

In cuba when i broke my right foot i was cured for a 100 usd fee in hospital ( before being cured,  i had to go to Atm with a broken foot as the card i had was not accepted...only cash ...i was rather disappointed )

Having a digital copy is a good idea but you should also carry some form of physical document (paper /laminated /plastic member's-card) listing all the necessary insurance details. In case you get in a bad accident the medics will go through your pockets looking for it and it will decide whether you end up in the best, most expensive hospital, or the public, least desirable one. If the information is on your phone it will be inaccessible when it mostly matters. Regrettably this happened to a friend so this is not just a hypothetical scenario. On top of my insurance member's-card I also carry my agent's business card so the hospital has an alternative contact person who can brief them on the status of my insurance plan. The difference in level of care, ER equipment, and doctors' expertise between public and private hospitals in Thailand is shocking.

• Upvote 2

Having a digital copy is a good idea but you should also carry some form of physical document (paper /laminated /plastic member's-card) listing all the necessary insurance details. In case you get in a bad accident the medics will go through your pockets looking for it and it will decide whether you end up in the best, most expensive hospital, or the public, least desirable one. If the information is on your phone it will be inaccessible when it mostly matters. Regrettably this happened to a friend so this is not just a hypothetical scenario. On top of my insurance member's-card I also carry my agent's business card so the hospital has an alternative contact person who can brief them on the status of my insurance plan. The difference in level of care, ER equipment, and doctors' expertise between public and private hospitals in Thailand is shocking.

Good advice buddy

Damn GOOD advice 360 and should be heeded by all. Other than TF or or other similar hooking up sites forget about depending on the digital age in Thailand especially when it comes to your health and overall well-being. Tattoo the pertinent/immediate information on your chest if need me.