Draft Beer

DownLoLarry

This is one of my favorite threads now, and not even Ladyboy related(?)

Why does this statement not surprise me? :biggrin: I got over to Carousel for a couple of cold cherry's in May on a very hot day. Perfect!!!

Unfortunately, my doctor says I have to cut WAY back on my beer consumption now. :mad0235: What am I going to do in Pattaya now?

I'm sitting here now enjoying a Dogfish Head 60 min IPA, the convenience store near me has a great beer selection including a variety of Belgian brews. I'm not much of a beer gourmand tho, just something fresh & flavorful will do: Anchor, Sam Adams or Brooklyn Ale are just fine.

But it was 100 degrees here today & I had to work outside a bit & didn't get home till 9:30 pm & I'm appreciating the 6% alcohol content more than any taste factors (but I do like it) because I plan to have several more before bed. :crazy:

I just spent a few weeks in Ireland & nothing beats the taste of Guinness on it's home turf, fabulous !

Ahhhhh, Hefe, oddly enough I've had the Brooklyn India Pale Ale in Copenhagen and in Sweden. In fact I just had one last night in Malmo. It is a terrific IPA for sure. Yummy. It's interesting how many US micro brewery IPAs I can find in Europe. It seems the Europeans don't make it but the bars import it because they sell it. I just love the stuff. However 6% is starting to sound scary like the Canadian stuff!!! :biggrin:

6% sounds scary SiamSam,WTF??? as I only like to drink IPA's if they are 7.2 ABV or above!! :drinks: Like I posted awhile back finding Mendocino IPA(8% ABV) @ $3.99 a 4 pack was like having X-Mas in July! LOL

Hefe, Dogfish Head 60 minute is OK :indifferent0025: ,but 90 Minute is the Best! :happy0065: and if you can find 120 Minute(be prepared this stuff goes for $9.99 a 12oz. bottle :cray: )then please do yourself a favor and check it out,as it is very intense,extreme! I usually never get a "hangover" from beer, but after only 3 of these, I wake up fully fucked up the next day! This stuff is on another level of beer!

I could go on to explain my next day after "Tactical Nuclear Penguin 38% ABV WTF!!!" from the Scottish Brewery "BrewDog" but really I don't remember it! 8P:biggrin:

So Many Beers,So Little Time!

Stay thirsty my friends!,

Iceberg :drinks:

Sounds like the beer scene is going to get potentially either much better - or much much worse depending on the influence of the big brewers in Thailand.

1. Chang Beer owners have launched a bid to take over Tiger Beer by acquiring one of its major shareholders. Heineken as one of the existing partners has had to come in with an even higher offer to protect its interest. if Chang gets it, they will control one of the largest breweries in Asia and no doubt use it to consolidate their stranglehold on Thailand market.

2. In separate news, the do-gooders in some Thai NGO have stated (don't you love that arrogant approach) that the upcoming free trade agreement with Euro zone must NOT include alcohol products as it will lead to increased drinking by young Thai's. I can only imagine seeing Vintage Dom Perignon on the shelves of 7-11 and outselling the local moonshine by ratio of 3-1 as the local teenagers get wrecked drinking champagne after school. Presumably this bunch of do gooders also get some funding from the two large breweries that hate free market competition in their homeland but are happy to sponsor half the premier league.....

• Upvote 1

I'm sitting here now enjoying a Dogfish Head

I just spent a few weeks in Ireland & nothing beats the taste of Guinness on it's home turf, fabulous !

Dogfish Head what a great name for a beer !

Never a truer word has been spoken re the black gold !

Guest JustSumGai

I had never heard of India Pale Ale before. Amazing. Not in Australia - or not that I know of. And as I said earlier, I've never encountered it in Asia either.

Ballantine had an India Pale Ale in the 70s for sure, beechwood aged. It's how I got my love of ales.

in Cambo try some Black Panther, 9% i think it is, brewed with association with some irish company I think.

Guest JustSumGai

Ballantine had an India Pale Ale in the 70s for sure, beechwood aged. It's how I got my love of ales.

in Cambo try some Black Panther, 9% i think it is, brewed with association with some irish company I think.

note....I did not mean to imply Panther was an ale, it's a stout. But it'll wreck you pretty good and I'm not a Guiness lover. This I could take.

• 4 weeks later...

Reports today that Anchor beer, along with various others, may be under stronger control from Heineken, the major shareholder in Asia Pacific Breweries (APB).

http://www.smh.com.a...0818-24erq.html

APB brews Heineken, Tiger and Bintang, along with Anchor. No wonder that draft is so damn good.

They are based in Singapore, but have breweries in all the satellite countries including Thailand, Indonesia, VN and Cambodia. Heineken apparently already have some strong control of the operation, but are buying out one of their partners, and will thus control over eighty % of the company.

As long as they keep that flavour & froth coming it's all fine by me.

note....I did not mean to imply Panther was an ale, it's a stout. But it'll wreck you pretty good and I'm not a Guiness lover. This I could take.

Panther sounds delicious JSG and I like Stouts just as much as IPA's. :drinks: Thanks for the tip, can it be found in Thailand?

• 2 months later...

If I wasn't a complete and unreconstructed heathen (atheists for Obama?) I would say something like:

O god, I'm back drinking Angkor draft for 75 or 80 cents a handle pot happy hour.

Blessed be the meek, for cheap beer in happy hours is all we can hope to inherit (except maybe an occasional LB dick).

EDIT: intrusive emoticon above should read 80.

Thus far I have been avoiding mini marts and the bigger corner bars with cane lounge chairs.

I have been hunkering down - alone or with dixon cox - at a tiny place along the riverfront called Camory. It's reason for being is as an evening eatery, hence the afternoon service lacks a bit. It's appalling actually. Happy hour seems to start whenever I arrive, which is a redeeming feature. Beers 0.75 USD.

post-244-0-67373300-1351311388_thumb.jpg

From where I sit imbibing, breeze in my face, here's the view looking east across the river:

post-244-0-65142700-1351311455_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

If you support worker's rights then drink Anchor instead of Angkor.

I like Anchor better anyway.

You can drink draft beer at hole in the wall joints in Cambodia for about 18 baht but in a proper beer bar with barigirls it's rare to pay less than 36 baht. 

Angkor beer promoters who have been demonstrating against lengthened working hours and short-term contracts said yesterday that they were fired for their strikes by Angkor’s parent company, Cambrew, an apparent direct violation of the Labour Law.

The 11 women have been protesting since Sunday against widespread use of six-month contracts and a decision to shift their working hours from 2pm to 9pm to 3:30pm to 11pm with no mandatory bonuses for working late.

In compliance with a letter from the Arbitration Council ordering them back to work until the dispute is resolved, the 11 workers – half of the 22 protesters who showed up to the last protest on Tuesday – returned to their workplaces yesterday.

However, the promoters said they encountered photos of their faces posted on walls and were blocked by security guards, who told them they had been fired.

“This company discriminates against us women,” said one of the 11, Por Sinath, a 38-year-old beer promoter.

“If the company does not rehire us, we will call on the public to stop drinking Angkor beer.”

However, Angkor beer denied the 11 women were fired, claiming instead that they had left of their own volition due to the lengthened hours.

“The company did not fire them – they don’t want to work at the company anymore,” said Ngieb Chheng Leab, chief of administration at Angkor beer.

“There is a lot of competition out there, and a lot of beers in the market, not only Angkor beer . . . The company changed the schedule based on the real situation and real demand.”

The apparent dismissal of the 11 protesters, who represented some 300 Cambrew beer promoters, has escalated the protest. Tuy Sythieng, program manager at the Cambodian Food and Service Workers Federation, said the union would urge for a boycott of Angkor and “use international mechanisms” to apply pressure on Cambrew, half of which is owned by Danish beer conglomerate Carlsberg.

“The Labour Law says you cannot fire anyone when you are protesting,” he said.

Sythieng said the union would file complaints with Carlsberg and cooperate with a Danish union to push the issue. Carlsberg declined to comment, referring the matter to Cambrew.

Beer promoters in Cambodia have long complained of long hours and dangerous working conditions due to sexual harassment and forced drinking with customers.

Ian Lubek, a Canadian academic who has done extensive research on the subject, said moving working hours past 10pm would likely result in “more disrespectful and perhaps harassing behaviour from customers who have been drinking throughout the evening”.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/striking-angkor-beer-promoters-fired