How do you handle bill padding?

Stroker

There was a bit of a furor last week when a well know member of our community went public about a perceived bill padding in a well known LB venue.  So how do you guys handle it?  If it is not too much do you turn a blind eye, pay and tell yourself you wont be back, or do you stand your ground and kick up a fuss?  Maybe you have had a few too many and are not really sure, but you feel it is wrong, or perhaps you know the owners and think it's a legitimate mistake but don't want to argue as it will cause bad feeling.  

So many factors come into play, so what general procedures would you guys recommend?

With every round I look at the bill in my cup "just to make sure I have enough to pay for it" is my throw-away line.  I've only been turned over once, in a bar where I didn't feel safe or secure, so I paid up and never went back.

I feel that honest mistakes can happen, but dishonest mistakes are more likely; and what I would do next time would depend on how comfortable I felt about disputing the bill (and also how much the error was).  Sometimes its better to have the wallet hurt than the body. Word spreads around about padding bars, and hopefully it will come back to haunt them.

• Upvote 2

Name & Shame...??? Good topic. I would hope that members if they are 100% sure can voice there concerns on this website not to stop others going to a particular establishment but more so to alert others to be more aware when frequenting said establishments. 

I know there are sometimes vested interests on these forums but they need not worry about getting a bad wrap if they don't try to scam customers. Got scammed in Nana Plaza a little while ago. "No problem" I said (my Thai smile firmly in place) but I will NEVER go back to this place & ANY monger I talk too in person will be happy to spill the beans! Typical short term Thai logic. I know Pattaya is slow right now so buyer beware! Torurot has go it sussed....

• Upvote 1

Myself and BigTel were in the Jenny Star Bar a few years, they held on to our change from the Bar Tab until Tel had a wee word with them about it, we vouched never to return and never did :biggrin:

On another occasion we were both in Obsessions (Pattaya) and shall we say the ladydrinks were quite heavily priced, havent returned to that place either  :huh:

Obsession in Pattaya is expensive (compared to most other Pattaya LB bars), and there is a lot of pressure to buy anyone who passes by a drink.  But the bills are computerized and well laid out, so it's pretty hard to pad a bill and very easy to see what is going on.

I usually hit Obsession every night I'm in Pattaya, and have never had a problem with my bill.

• Upvote 1

Obsessions is the only place I know of in LOS where every drink order is signed by the customer. If there's any dispute they will show you the order & where you signed for it. It has stopped 1000 arguments.

Plus it is owned by a farang who does everything possible to stop overcharging including the installation of a computerised till that tallies exactly with the signed-for orders. 

The one thing he can't do is to step inside his own bar & oversee it himself. As he owns the last major parcel of land in Pattaya not held by a Thai, the police will arrest him & seize his property if he even so much lifts up a glass. They ever installed a camera on a pole outside the entrance so they could monitor him 24 hours a day.

The reason for the camera was given as 'street security'. A good idea except it is the only one anywhere in Pattaya. In a quiet soi, not on Walking Street, just the place you need extra security.

• Upvote 2

There was a bit of a furor last week when a well know member of our community went public about a perceived bill padding in a well known LB venue.  So how do you guys handle it?  If it is not too much do you turn a blind eye, pay and tell yourself you wont be back, or do you stand your ground and kick up a fuss?  Maybe you have had a few too many and are not really sure, but you feel it is wrong, or perhaps you know the owners and think it's a legitimate mistake but don't want to argue as it will cause bad feeling.  

So many factors come into play, so what general procedures would you guys recommend?

34,000Bth was a one fooking big  bin...That is the biggest bill i ever heard off for a night drinking in Pattaya... :crazy: