Learning Thai

pdogg

There are many more free online resources for learning Thai these days than 5 or 10 years ago.

Figure it'd be a good idea to compile a list, since different websites and teachers will appeal to different people.

So please add the ones that you like.

These ladies have a bunch of interesting Youtube lessons.

Guest sustra2
i used to be an interpreter in my youth....speaking 6 languages ( 3 professionally and 3 good level ) i find that the 1st thing to do in learning thai is get into the alphabet. It has been like this with russian language. The best thing to do is taking lessons in Thailand or elsewhere from a thai professional teacher. I find the online lessons useless...

reading thai would be the first step...making easier to learn the spoken language.

Then motivation is very important....and here comes the problem...i started to learn a little bit of thai but then quit it...it was a pity as speaking the local language could really change your point of view. In South America speaking spanish and portuguese...i understood things otherwise mysterious

I quit thai language as the ladyboy i was having a relationship with.....is terribly boring! and the "fucking" word moneygram or western union is a universal hated understood word!

Learning Thai will make life in Thailand much easier, and save lots of money. I think that a tutor is the best way to go, but most mongers would rather bang LBs than sit with a tutor (they cost about the same 5555).

My 2 baht

- Transliteration is counterproductive. Restaurant = rahn-ahan, ron-aharn, etc. You will learn bad pronunciation. It is ร้านอาหาร

- If you have little time, or you're too lazy to learn the alphabet, the best thing you can do it listen to a native Thai speaker pronounce a word, then repeat it - over and over. Don't tranliterate, just do it by sound.

- If you must do language lessons on computer, the best online lesson is Pimsleur.

- Worse case, learn how to tell time and learn the numbers *correctly*. 1 thru 1 million.

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

This guy isn't your typical Pattaya expat in a Singha-wifebeater and cargo shorts in Soi Buakhow obviously, he's got his head screwed on right.

I like his method to visualise images in his head while learning words.

Pom yak pood pas-sat Thai.

Pom- slang for brits ,Yak- the animal, pood-Putin, pas-sat- VW car model , Thai -self explanatory.

Skärmavbild 2021-02-05 kl. 21.20.47.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seven said:

This guy isn't your typical Pattaya expat in a Singha-wifebeater and cargo shorts in Soi Buakhow obviously, he's got his head screwed on right.

I like his method to visualise images in his head while learning words.

Pom yak pood pas-sat Thai.

Pom- slang for brits ,Yak- the animal, pood-Putin, pas-sat- VW car model , Thai -self explanatory.

Skärmavbild 2021-02-05 kl. 21.20.47.png

The first thing most expats should do is learn to pronounce Pattaya properly. That would be a good start. Especially when you hear guys like Nick from Assienda Bar say it!.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woodie said:

The first thing most expats should do is learn to pronounce Pattaya properly. That would be a good start. Especially when you hear guys like Nick from Assienda Bar say it!.

Couldn't agree more.

This ones worth re-posting, funny stuff:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What makes it hard for me is that up here they speak a combination of Thai and Lao , I am starting to understand Thai now but am way off having a conversion and would really like to chat to Dao's Mum, Dad and her 90 year old Grandad  ( out of respect ) , the stories her grandad must have back in the day and all his farming tips he could share. .

• Like 3

Yes when I was up in the village, only my girl, a gay lad (who died) and one other Yank spoke English - well I not sure about the Yank!!!!!!

I felt embarassed and sad that I could not talk to Palmmy's very disabled grandmother or her friends.

But as you get older your brain can only cope with so much.

My dad spoke 6 languages he said it was like being able to play music you either could or you could not.

I never really cracked any language so no hope with Thai, tired Welsh started and gave up when I realised how easy it made French and German look.

So will have hope that when I go to ,my friend will do all the talking and expect I will do all the paying.

Keep safe all of you

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

I have a question about a short phrase used by a Thai LB on Thai Friendly tht I encountered today. Background first is  - I normally use my laptop to trawl though the site but at some time in the past and current hell of lockdown my laptop was being updated to a later version and unavailable to me. I dragged out my old Samsung Jsomething and, finding it still connected to internet & working. Whacko!

Got onto my TF a/c - problem is, it's skeleton TF, showing only about 2 to six profiles. Very primitive but at least it doesnt show me LBs that are deemed very popular and non contactable unless I shell out the cash. So, I'm confined to looking at a limited number who are available for chat. I don't want to waste their time so dont ask for chat. Just look and fantasise with my hands outside my pants at all times. Really! :rolleye0012:

Found a nice NFP, if that's the right acronym. She seems straight up n looking for a friend. At the end of her facts statement she entered the words: "Not Kra Khee"?

Does any one know what the meaning is in English?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bubba said:

Not Kra Khee"?

Does any one know what the meaning is in English?

I suspect that Not is not, and khee is shit. 

Don't know about Kra.  But perhaps she means kri (cry) which might mean person.

So it is "possible that it means Not Person Shit (Not Shit Person) but that's sort of a wild guess Bubba.

Perhaps Big Tel or Ozzie knows as their Thai is pretty good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I suspect that Not is not, and khee is shit. 

Don't know about Kra.  But perhaps she means kri (cry) which might mean person.

So it is "possible that it means Not Person Shit (Not Shit Person) but that's sort of a wild guess Bubba.

Perhaps Big Tel or Ozzie knows as their Thai is pretty good.

I think it is supposed to mean not who shit ใคร (khrai) means who but it is hard to tell.

• Like 1