Movies

seven

The TV thread is here...

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4336-favorite-drama-tv-series/page-12

But who gives a shit....These days there is so much cross-over with actors and directors and screenwriters...and and and....

I don't watch much modern day TV productions these days...In fact I don't watch any...But I did just watch a great old film Sleuth with Michael and Lawrence...There is a remake that it pretty good too with Michael and Judd.......We're all on a first name basis.......

My favorite TV show and the only one I have DVD copies of except for like Shogun and Roots and Lonesome Dove...mini series... was Northern Exposure...I couldn't tell you exactly why..But maybe cause I was raised in a little town much like the fictive local of the TV series...Where everyone knew everyone......I do miss that...And perhaps I identify with some of the kooky folks...We had our share in my little town...

I watched the famous cow fling episode the other night......Chris has his heart set on flinging a cow in some giant catapult contraption of his making...Only to have Ed tell him that it has already been done by Monty Python... Chris is devastated but finally comes to realize that it is not what you fling but "the fling" itself that is important.... You gotta love this stuff...

Watching this episode always reminds me of the classic WKRP Thanksgiving day drop..................And that's another good memory.......

• 3 years later...

CAPTAIN MARVEL review

I have to admit that I've become a huge Marvel fanboy. It was a long journey here, as I was (and remain) never a comic book fan. I hated all the WB Batman movies from Tim Burton. I just never really connected with any of that stuff, until I was in an Imax screening of "The Last Man On Earth" a few years ago, and they announced that they were going to play a 7 minute scene from the upcoming "new Batman movie" which had been filmed (partially) using Imax cameras. They then showed the opening scene from "The Dark Knight" from the beginning until the busses are seen driving past the bank. I was amazed! Became a huge fan of the Christopher Nolan series.

When it came to Marvel, I just couldn't get interested. I remember seeing Iron Man and thinking it had been fun, but I'd hated the Spiderman movies and the XMen stuff never did anything for me, so I never got interested. Until I saw "The Avengers" on a flight to Japan, and was very impressed. Worked backwards and saw all the rest of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" movies and, well... that brings us up to date.

I had high expectation for Captain Marvel, some of which were met. But the first 80-90 minutes seemed somewhat forced. The "Girl Empowerment" stuff seemed a bit heavy-handed, and the humor was not connecting the way it normally does in a Marvel film. Of course, it could have been the audience I saw it with. Although nearly sold out, the crowd was oddly quiet through the first portion of the film.

It DID really come alive in the last 40-50 minutes, once she figures out who she really is and learns about her powers.

Ultimately, I think the problem was with the direction. SPOILER ALERT: there's a post-credits scene where we see her stepping in with the rest of the Avengers directly after the ending of Avengers: Infinity War that really brought this home. The entire feel & gravitas of the scene was COMPLETELY different than what I'd just experienced in Captain Marvel. What I think this tells me is that with a better Director in her next adventure, this might be able to return to the same level of magic that most of the MCU has up until now, which was slightly let down during the protracted "origin story" that dominated the first 2/3 of the film.

Very excited to go see Avengers: End Game next Friday. And very excited to see what the NEW MCU holds for Captain Marvel! 

Captain Marvel.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, deepthroat said:

Avengers: End Game

Even though as a kid I read lots of Marvel, and DC, comics, I haven't seen all that many superhero movies.  Maybe it's time to start.

Wow, 1.2 billion worldwide gross in the opening weekend including over 300 million in China. Guess they must be doing something right!

• 4 years later...