Immigration, as in bringing your ladyboy permanently to the USA

Lefty

Maybe this has been discussed before, and I missed it. I do not check forum pages other than the Boiler Room very much, 

This is for US citizens mainly, and something that has been  brought up at various times at least on the old Asian TS forum. If anyone wanted to attain a fiancee visa for a ladyboy girlfriend to the US as far as I knew this was nigh on to impossible. Now though, same sex marriage is legal in 20 states, and I had heard tell of some guys getting a fiancee visa for their LB GF to come to the USA. 

So...I called an immigration lawyer. Apparently we are now able to apply for and attain fiancee visas for same sex partners. Does not matter which state one resides in. They would just need to go to one of the 20 states where it is legal to get married. Same goes for a spousal visa for a same sex spouse legally married in another country. 

I know many if not most here would have no interest in this. Ladyboys are a fun diversion when on vacation (holiday to you Limeys) to SE Asia. But there may be a few guys who have some interest in this. 

I'd seen on Facebook, a post of some British fellow marrying his ladyboy girlfriend at the British embassy in Manila. I do not know yet if we Americans however have that option at our embassy there. 

• Upvote 1

Very good information to share Lefty! You Americans better hurry up before the conservative supreme court changes its mind.

Actually US embassies no longer perform marriage ceremonies (also the same with Canadian embassies). See the screen capture below from the US state department.

post-289-0-70773200-1405721587_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Rx. I guess the Brits are more progressive thinking, or less regressive anyway, since they are allowed to perform marriages in the embassies and consulates. Seems like kind of a simple thing to be able to allow. Heck, we can become a minister by ordering a license through the mail and perform marriages here in the USA. Then we cannot allow an embassy officer to do the same. Seems kind of silly to me. Maybe they are just too busy.

I wonder if two non British citizens could get married in the British embassy? If, for example, an American and a Filipino were both able to travel to England itself, possessing valid passports, visas, etc, they could get married there. I wonder if Britain considers their embassies and consulates to be an extension in that regard as being in the country itself. 

• Upvote 1

The lawyer I talked to said the main thing the USCIS wanted to be assured of, was that the US citizen and the fiancee, regardless of gender, did indeed plan to actually marry once the fiancee arrived. Not age difference, not income, not occupations of either one.  So, the more proof of an actual relationship, the better. 

I did not ask about tourist visas. This would be a horse of another color I believe. That is where things come into play, such as does the visa holder intend to leave and return home before the visa expired.  With a fiancee visa, that would  not be an issue to consider. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know a damn thing about a permanent visa or a fiancee visa but i can tell you that it ain't impossible to bring a Thai ladyboy to the USA...Just about - in fact almost exactly - two years ago, a guy who lives in Thailand and post here on occasion, brought his ladyboy GF to the USA...They spent one night here in the desert with me in my humble abode...Met them a few days later in LA and we all did Disneyland...and then they did a lot more touring...He took her places I ain't never been...Kudos to him and good for her...As I recall she didn't have too much trouble getting a multiple entry tourist visa that was valid for 10 years...That's 10 years...a lot of in and outs.... Pretty much what they said was to get the visa you just gotta play by the USA rules...I am fairly certain no lawyer was involved...Maybe he will chime in here, maybe he won't...But they made it work two years ago, can't imagine why other folks can't.......

• Upvote 1

I know a post-op lb who was also able to get such a visa. She told me that she did it by herself no sponsors. She said the key was to demonstrate she had substantial ties in Thailand and was not a flight risk when entering the USA. She did this by setting up a business - a juice stand in her name (however, this was a front - she made most of her money working in KC). She would deposit money regularly into the juice stand account and pay herself a regular salary from that account as well. In addition she owned property in Thailand worth a substantial amount of money.

This was a while ago, some things may have changed, but I think the basic rules still apply.

• Upvote 1

The  main thing to me is, that something I'd have guessed never possible in my lifetime when I first went to Thailand 12 years ago, that is, to be able to bring a ladyboy to the USA on a fiancee visa, marry her while she was here within the 90 day window, and her be allowed to stay and live here permanently, is now possible.