Are Thais more preoccupied with food than us?

bumblebee

Many of us appreciate Thai food as much as other cuisines. But it appears to me that Thais are generally more obsessed with food and eating than us. Most of us can get by for a few hours without eating when we are peckish but as soon as a Thai is hungry they have to eat or you won't get a moments peace until they do.

Or is it just me?:biggrin:

an observation I have made is that Thais even seemingly poorer ones will only eat until they are full and often leave food on their plate when finished, I hardly ever see that here, especially guys, which might also impact comparative rates of obesity

• Upvote 1

Guest sustra

i think they are...to the point that sometimes they made me buy food then left in the fridge and not eaten.. i had to throw away..several hot dogs and sandwiches 

there was a lb lately that ordered a cheeseburger for breakfast and left it on the table...ignoring it....i asked " are you going to eat it or not? " she replied...no...not hungry!

and i hate when they want to spoon feed me at the restaurant....they know i eat only at night.....

but what i hate the most.... when they ask me to send money for food.......is this a common procedure with thai ladyboys...???

• Upvote 2

Food is not simply sustenance to them...it's a social event...it is a part of their daily social routine...and unlike us they share their food with one another...a big bowl of papaya and sticky rice is cause for them to sit around the bowl and chat and visit and eat and share...how many times have you watched bar girls sitting, eating, sharing, chatting...they do it almost every day up country...someone will wander by with a big bag of spicy papaya and the rice comes out and the visit begins...it is much more than food...it is much more than simply eating...it is being Thai.......

• Upvote 5

Food is not simply sustenance to them...it's a social event...it is a part of their daily social routine...and unlike us they share their food with one another...a big bowl of papaya and sticky rice is cause for them to sit around the bowl and chat and visit and eat and share...they do it almost every day up country...someone will wander by with a big bag of spicy papaya and the rice comes out and the visit begins...it is much more than food...it is much more than simply eating...it is being Thai.......

Yes, so right. AND there should be much more of that in our world. Eating is a social event in many cultures. Usually the poor ones that have learned the value of of food. When you have it, you share and rejoice. When you don't, you still share what you have. The west has forgotten this a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

Guest sustra

no doubt anyway that thai food is really good...not pork that is too fat for me...but seafood ( mussels and squids first ) are really number 1

• Upvote 1

as soon as a Thai is hungry they have to eat or you won't get a moments peace until they do.

Or is it just me? :biggrin:

No it is not just you BB - I agree with you. To the very point - we were with Mardi late one night at Nong Bar - having a pleasant time - his GF just would not give it up - after 30 minutes of repeatedly saying "I'm hungry" - Mardi made a similar comment "if I don't feed her - she will never shut-up". (Although she may just have been bored senseless).

Food is not simply sustenance to them...it's a social event...it is a part of their daily social routine...and unlike us they share their food with one another...a big bowl of papaya and sticky rice is cause for them to sit around the bowl and chat and visit and eat and share...how many times have you watched bar girls sitting, eating, sharing, chatting...they do it almost every day up country...someone will wander by with a big bag of spicy papaya and the rice comes out and the visit begins...it is much more than food...it is much more than simply eating...it is being Thai.......

Very true .

When a Thai person calls you they usually ask "you eat already?" 

Like many here I've grown to love Thai food and its now my favourite cuisine , its funny how things you like before become almost bland after tasting Thai cooking .

I remember talking to a Thai person about foreign food and why she didn't like it and she replied that it had no taste or flavour  . 

I remember talking to a Thai person about foreign food and why she didn't like it and she replied that it had no taste or flavour  . 

I am surprised some of them have any taste buds left at all, seeing the amount of chillies that they put in their food. :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Cheers DK