What they say, what you THINK it means

Guest route67

Guest route67

Having been in Thailand for 2.5+ years now, my grasp of Thai is slowly improving. As such, I've also become aware of certain phrases used by Thais that SOUND innocuous, but are in fact grossly insulting.

They think we don't know what they mean, and for the most part they are correct.

So, here's a little heads up on a couple of choice phrases you might hear thrown in your direction...

Darkling.

Sounds reasonably like 'darling' so the bar lady can pass it off as such, right?

Wrong. It's not 'darkling' - it is 'dark ling,' which translates roughly as 'monkey's ass.'

Ha-nee.

Maybe the poor dear is having trouble pronouncing the 'uh' sound in 'honey,' bless her.

Think again, old sport. 'Haa nee' actually means 'cunt face.'

Another I heard recently was 'hoo kee,' and was used by one of the door staff at PBG. 'Sawat dee, hoo kee,' was the greeting I received. What the fat cunt swiftly discovered was that I know 'hoo kee' means 'asshole.'

I'm sure there are many others they use to insult us - to our face - and that we don't understand.

I shall keep digging.

I'm sure Big Tel will have a few choice epiphets for us...

• Upvote 5

Mahn = it, a reference to an animal. I've heard Thais refer to their farang partner this way, as in "It wants a beer"

Tells you how some of the locals really view us :)

Slightly off topic, but galee = very rude name for prostitute

Eee lat, Eee dok mai = rude name for slut or bitch

Gluay = banana, but also slang for prick or cock sucker (om gluay) Never call a Thai man this unless you want a fight

kee nok can also be slang for cheap charley, as in Farang kee nok!

Tood= gay

Cha nee = disrespectful/mocking reference for women, used by ladyboys

Torlae = talking bull shit

Ai hee ah = Son of a bitch. Again, fighting words

Yed mae = mother fucker

Yed mung = fuck you!

Mung = insulting form of you

Goo =  Arrogant form of I. Mung and goo are often used by younger Thais among close friends, in the same way Aussies jokingly call each other "Bastard" or Americans use "Son of a bitch."

Eee used before a female reference is very insulting = Eee dum for "Miss Blackie, Eee ngo for Miss Stupid.

Ai used before a male reference is very insulting = Ai bah for Mr. Stupid, Ai kwai for Mr. Buffalo

Be very careful about curse words around polite Thais. If they hear you curse, even one time they will forever view you as low class and ill mannered.

• Upvote 4

Thai bar girls (and I include ladyboys) are very adept at telling you what they think you need to hear.

The first time I visited Thailand and after all of the "Handsome Man" BS I caught my self primping in front of the mirror and thinking "Yeah, YEAH, I am one handsome dude" 555!

Agree 100% with Route67- the locals tell us what we want to hear :happy0065:

I've since  returned to my senses- I'm an old, ugly dude with a few baht in my pocket, 555!

• Upvote 1

"Uan" as far as I know means fat fooker or something along those lines. Good idea Rt67 to gather a list of them.

"Yed mea" is mother fucker and sometimes you may hear hotel staff say what sounds like "yes sir" but they use yed instead of yes.

Moo Uan = Fat Pig

May from Famous affectionately called me that once or twice on one of my trips after putting on a few pounds from the previous trip :unsure:

what about if they say..." i miss you " or " i love you ".....is it insulting? or just a set phrase?

I have spent a lot of time with Owe (Sensations) on my last 3 trips to the Kingdom, she always said "miss you" to me while in bed or in the bar but never "love you" ^_^

• Upvote 1

I always thought it was Na Hee. Face looks like pussy.

Kee Maa. Popular word meaning dogshit.

Kee Nok- Birdshit.

Na-hee means "pussy face" and depending how you say it kee maa can also mean "horse shit".

Animal related references and insults have far more impact in Thailand than the 'mother-fucker' or 'fuck off' equivalents. Abuse and insults don't always translate and Thai is a prime example.

• Upvote 1