Chiang Mai Lady's Drink Inflation...

I don't hit the bars much in Chiang Mai, but I'm not a hermit either :)

I was out once last week and again last night and I noticed that the price for lady's drinks are increasing. Or perhaps its the drink that the lady chooses to drink...

Last week I was at the Chiang Mai Entertainment Center; I have to chuckle at that grandiose name, most people know it as the Boxing Ring on Loi Kroh. Any way, I sat down at one of the bars near the ring, ordered a large Leo and invited a GG bar girl to sit and imbibe with me. Nice enough girl that allowed me to practice my Thai, but one drink was enough. Requested the check bin and her whiskey was a whopping 180 baht; my large Leo was a very reasonable 120 baht. I didn't say any thing, paid with exact change and moved on.

Last night my first stop was a bar beer on the upper end of Loi Kroh, near the moat. Ordered a large Leo and invited Miss Udon (GG) to join me. Curvy gal, just my type but I wasn't in hunter mode so we chatted, played pool then I checked binned. Again my large Leo was 120 but her whiskey was 160.

Walked towards the Boxing Ring and stopped at a bar named Lizard Lounge or something (Honest! not making the name up, 555) Best I could tell the staff were all GG's except for the ladyboy that waited on me so I invited her to drink with me. fun girl and I was surprised to learn that they had short time rooms upstairs! Again one drink each, my large Leo was 120 and her (I think it was a glass of Spy, not the entire bottle) drink was 170.

This post is becoming too long, 555. On down to Shamrok bar, bought another LD and it was 170, but I did notice on the bill it was itemized as "100 Piper." Strolled up to Marina Bar, bought two lady drinks and a large Leo for myself. This time the bill was 360. Large Leo was 120 and LDs were 120 each.

I know its a business but in the past most of the ladies drinks that I bought in Chiang Mai were 120 baht. For Samsong and coke I think that's still the price but the girls seem to be ordering more expensive drinks. I suppose the bars and staff experienced some very lean times due to the combination of low season and the curfew, but I am reluctant to buy ladies drinks priced above 140 baht. As far as I know the girls commission is the same, so either the bars are encouraging them to "order up" or they just played me for a sucker. I see the staff knocking back Sangsom drinks, compliments of the bar, so its not like they won't drink the stuff.

Another development is that all of the bars kept my check bin behind the bar, so I didn't know what my total was. Since I only had one drink, it wasn't a problem, but for a longer drinking session, that little detail could leave a customer wide open for bill padding. Just sayin...

In the future I will be a little more discerning and ask the ladies drink price before I extend an invitation :) 

• Upvote 2

What can I say Lance, other than next time we meet up (maybe tomorrow)?.. Let's go somewhere cheap!

As much as I love Chiang Mai & the relaxed, care free lifestyle up here, it does have to be said that without a shadow of a doubt it's also the greediest city I've ever encountered in LOS.. By far!

They just don't know where to stop & they've always valued themselves way too highly, it's Phuket prices without the quality or service.

And with regard to the ladydrink prices, I did notice yesterday that beer Chang had gone up, so I suppose that increase could well be passed onto the customer along with, has you said, a little extra to compensate for them for lean times & the army closing them down at midnight; but it more than sucks & I figure that the 180 baht asking price will be the tipping point & customers will just avoid these bars... they're killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. FFS!

I find it especially rich, has when last in Shamrock I bought the post op cashier a ladydrink & she just fucked off in a meth haze & went talking to her mates & any other cunt who wasn't me!!!... It really angered me & I think that I'll have a word with the governor, Sash, as he's a good bloke & I'm sure that he'll understand the folly of this, especially considering the attitude of some of his girls. 

As for Marina, she's always kept the price of her ladydrinks down, but she plays a numbers game & instructs the staff to relentlessly pump for those drinks.... It can be unbearable!

All this is a real shame, because I do like to buy the odd drink for the girls... But now I just won't!!!

• Upvote 3

What can I say Lance, other than next time we meet up (maybe tomorrow)?.. Let's go somewhere cheap!

All this is a real shame, because I do like to buy the odd drink for the girls... But now I just won't!!!

Some where cheap? I'm never that generous Lung, 555.

I was off kilter that night and bought a total of six lady drinks; the two at Marina were 120, the normal price. The combined overcharge of the other four drinks was 180, so its not going to break the bank. However it did leave a bad taste in my mouth -like the bar could give a rat's ass- and from now on I won't be buying many lady drinks in Chiang Mai. If I am tempted to buy I'll ask the price before hand.

I think here in Chiang Mai some of the bars make up the rules as they go along. I didn't ask the price before hand- so they made one up to suit themselves.

Lesson learned :happy0065:

A common trick at Marina when buying a ladydrink, was "and one drink for Marina too" :mad0235:

Yeah, The Devine Miss Marina does like to knock back a few 555!

• Upvote 1

Some where cheap? I'm never that generous Lung, 555.

Off kilter indeed, Lance, 5555555

If it wasn't for the army & police plotting up at Tharpae Square right now, I'd say fuck the bars & take a load of beers there, because the freelancers WILL come to you & if & when they want a drink I either give them some of mine out of the stash in the back box on my bike, or I run over to 7/11 to buy them one!!!!... Sorted.

It's a bit of a midnight onwards thing to do, but it's a lot of fun & without the attitudes too!.. Plus I get to drink my preference of dark beer Lao... And at Makro prices too, 42 baht per bottle!!!!

And besides, some of these greedy mares from the bars (especially the freelance staff who can leave when they want or when the bar isn't busy), could well turn up as well... And with a completely different, more grateful outlook, usually quoting knock down prices for their services. :party0021:  :happy0148:

• Upvote 3

Anyone ever shagged Marina ?

I'm not that brave Jim :)

If it wasn't for the army & police plotting up at Tharpae Square right now, I'd say fuck the bars & take a load of beers there, because the freelancers WILL come to you & if & when they want a drink I either give them some of mine out of the stash in the back box on my bike, or I run over to 7/11 to buy them one!!!!... Sorted.

And besides, some of these greedy mares from the bars (especially the freelance staff who can leave when they want or when the bar isn't busy), could well turn up as well... And with a completely different, more grateful outlook, usually quoting knock down prices for their services. :party0021:  :happy0148:

I like your plan Lung! Great to see you last night Buddy, it was good to catch up. I enjoyed my self- and didn't buy one single lady's drink :)

Anyone ever shagged Marina ? 

Fuck no, Jim!.. It's been said a few times that next to Willy the Pimp I'm probably the next worst across any of these forums for my uncanny ability to fuck the utterly unfuckable, lame & infirmed or just down right putrid... But Marina, no fukin' way, what so ever, that's where I draw my line :crazy:  :sign0181:

And she wears a wig, by the way... It's bald as a coot under that lot.

• Upvote 3

I like your plan Lung! Great to see you last night Buddy, it was good to catch up. I enjoyed my self- and didn't buy one single lady's drink :)

It was really great catching up with you too, mate... I thoroughly enjoyed the chat! :drinks: Roll on the next one. :love0081:

I especially revelled in not entertaining the ladies too... "Som nom fukin' nah", as they say in these parts... Serves them right for being such uppity, stuck up mares the past, so now they can sit there with no other customers other than us coldly looking them up & down... And we ain't buying no drinks either. :yahoo:  

And what a stark contrast to the bar at the cabaret, we had to leave because we couldn't get a drink!.. sort of tells you something  <_<

Whoooops, late edit... I should have mentioned this before as a warning to anybody reading this thread who's maybe thinking about coming to Chiang Mai? This town, as pleasant as it is, is notorious for bill padding & with the exception of a few 'better' bars, it's pretty much going to happen anywhere that you're likely to go... don't quite know what it is with the locals up he, but they kinda look at it as a God given entitlement.

Mods, can we cobble all these CNX threads together in either a Chiang Mai or some kind of 'other areas of Thailand' Topic? Because with regard to these threads, I find myself repeating the same stuff over & over.

Ta much

:hi:

• Upvote 1

Whoooops, late edit... I should have mentioned this before as a warning to anybody reading this thread who's maybe thinking about coming to Chiang Mai? This town, as pleasant as it is, is notorious for bill padding & with the exception of a few 'better' bars, it's pretty much going to happen anywhere that you're likely to go... don't quite know what it is with the locals up he, but they kinda look at it as a God given entitlement.

Agree with Lung- Chiang Mai is an OK place to live. I ride my bike a lot, so it suits me. Another place to live in Thailand is Phayao, good air, no traffic and not so much of a tourist trap. But the mongering would be a different scene. When you want some non stop fun, just head to Pattaya :)

Lung is right on about CM's free lancers, there are some hidden gems there, you just need to do some hunting. The bars hold lees and less attraction for me; when I do go out, its simply to meet up with a buddy and BS.

** Big thanks to Lung for showing me the cabaret. The place was packed with tourists, even during the low season. I'd wager they were doing more business than the entire Loy Kroh road combined :)

Even my last trip to Pattaya, four nights on the return trip from the Philippines, I called some of my old flames and they were happy to come to my room.

Not me :sign0181:

I'm not that brave Jim :)

Fuck no, Jim!.. 

And she wears a wig, by the way... It's bald as a coot under that lot.

Ha ha she must be a right old age now but you know the old saying - many's a fine tune played on an old fiddle .

A pic from my one and only visit to Chang Mai in 2007 ... must go back again some day .

post-104-0-62026100-1404035828_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I especially revelled in not entertaining the ladies too... "Som nom fukin' nah", as they say in these parts... Serves them right for being such uppity, stuck up mares the past, so now they can sit there with no other customers other than us coldly looking them up & down... And we ain't buying no drinks either. :yahoo:  

Looking forward to coming up again to see u and lady drink dodging  :drinks:

Mods, can we cobble all these CNX threads together in either a Chiang Mai or some kind of 'other areas of Thailand' Topic? Because with regard to these threads, I find myself repeating the same stuff over & over.

Ta much

:hi:

Excellent idea Lung.     :sign0184:

We will get it up and running in a few days.

Agree with Lung- Chiang Mai is an OK place to live. I ride my bike a lot, so it suits me. Another place to live in Thailand is Phayao, good air, no traffic and not so much of a tourist trap. But the mongering would be a different scene. When you want some non stop fun, just head to Pattaya :)

Lung is right on about CM's free lancers, there are some hidden gems there, you just need to do some hunting. The bars hold lees and less attraction for me; when I do go out, its simply to meet up with a buddy and BS.

That's about it Lance, it's a great place to live for the outdoors types & a bikers paradise... But if I really want to party, then like you I'll head to Pattaya.

Chiang Mai's nightlife is definitely more conducive to quiet drinks & chats, that's for sure & that's why I like it... That & the vibrant freelance scene!!! 

Ha ha she must be a right old age now but you know the old saying - many's a fine tune played on an old fiddle .

... must go back again some day .

She's not actually that old, she's 42 going on 60, just had a hard life, that's all... And by the way, if you do come back up hear I'll happily pay you to fuck her, so long as you post the pictures here... Let's see if you've got the bollocks to go where the rest of us fear to tread? :rofl:  ... And don't forget, she's got no hair on her head!

post-224-0-49563300-1404185054_thumb.jpg

This is a good photo of her!

Looking forward to coming up again to see u and lady drink dodging  :drinks:

Me too, it would be great to see you again, mate!!!... I think we're about due for one of our phone calls :happy0065:  :drinks:

• Upvote 1

A pic from my one and only visit to Chang Mai in 2007 ... must go back again some day .

Yeah, I used to ride the train up from BKK. I remember the one on the left, in the blue dress :)