Name That Shot! Pattaya

pdogg

20 hours ago, globetrotter said:

That  isn't  the new Tukcom is it, I know that is roughly where  it's supposed to be 

Yes the rumour is that Tuk Com is moving there not sure what's happening with the old one .

The original one is a lot more accessible for sure , its quite a walk to The Harbor .

3 hours ago, 360 said:

could very well be, not sure where your picture was taken :) It is in Naklua, on the small soi that goes parallel to Sukhumvit when coming back from Bangkok Hospital Pattaya  https://goo.gl/maps/u7cGFqvHtqo (not showing on Google maps as it's recently built) 

That's about it...I been to BHP few time with motorbike (i been renting one last 5-6 trips) and i do just love  riding around Pattaya ... I do get lost most of the time but that's the fun bit..:fool:

7 minutes ago, Billy69 said:

That's about it...I been to BHP few time with motorbike (i been renting one last 5-6 trips) and i do just love  riding around Pattaya ... I do get lost most of the time but that's the fun bit..:fool:

Take care with driving a motorbike in Pattaya. We lost a very dear friend this past year doing the very same thing you enjoy.He wasn't wearing a helmet at the time. I hope you do.  

On 6/12/2016 at 7:01 PM, SiamSam said:

Take care with driving a motorbike in Pattaya. We lost a very dear friend this past year doing the very same thing you enjoy.He wasn't wearing a helmet at the time. I hope you do.

Yes i do remember that ..I was in Pattaya...Well..I only use the bike day time, never when drank, always wear the helmet and always slow taking the sights in..never know when you going to spot a sexy LB..:search:

I'm thinking it is Soi 16 not Soi Lucky Star.  If going from 2nd Road to WS then Soi 16 is on the left and Soi Luxky Star to the right.

But I don't know, just thought the video was interesting.

I'm glad the their is a new shortcut to Lita's as I try to avoid Walking Street as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, sustra2 said:

driving on the right....as in Thailand...cannot be Usa or South America, neither Australia or India.....BKK for sure...Copacabana & Hotel Manhattan are misleading

Yes, it is (was) Bangkok!

Anyone know where in Bangkok?

15 minutes ago, sustra2 said:

could be Sukhumvit before Nana plaza was not even conceived.....

Bingo!

Seems that Check Inn 99, formerly the Copa,  is closing around the same time as Check In Bar is moving from the Soi 5 alleyway.

BANGKOK — Another piece of Bangkok history will bite the dust when a nightlife fixture of six decades shuts down July 2.

Check Inn 99, which for 59 years has entertained guests in keeping with the changing times, will close its doors forever after being evicted in the name of commercial development.

“It’s sad. It’s the only original Bangkok bar from the ‘50s,” said owner Chris Catto-Smith, who took over the bar in 2011 with his wife and business partner.

Catto-Smith said he was given one month’s notice his bar had to close, as the landlord wants to develop the building into what he described as a “trinket market” and hotel lobby.

“There always was a plan to develop it,” Catto-Smith said. “The lease expires on July 5, and we gotta move out.”

Asked what’s next, Catto-Smith said he’s unsuccessfully been looking for another venue.

The nightclub, also styled as Checkinn and formerly known as the Copacabana, has operated continuously since 1957. Many celebrities have passed through its doors, Catto-Smith said, such as Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, who dropped by in the late ‘60s. Musicians Sammy Hagar, Mick Jagger and the late Freddy Mercury are others who paid a visit.

“People were coming in,” Chris said. “But they stayed low profile. They didn’t come to perform, they came to relax.”

It was home to some famous courtesans, such as the much-celebrated “Mama Noi” who until her death earlier this year would still drop by to regale guests with her stories.

The bar-restaurant-lounge was little more than a seedy brothel and in dire straits before Catto-Smith bought it back in 2011. Long gone was the tuxedoed dwarf who once welcomed guests around the turn of the century (He died).

The Australian owner made it a labor of love and revived its fortunes as a retro-kitsch lounge where regulars swapped stories over cocktails under the roar of Music of the Heart, the Filipina family act belting out cover songs night after night.

Check Inn joins the bygone remnants of a previous generation’s Bangkok, part of the rapidly receding men’s world where go-go bars and commercial sex services were mainstays in a cosmopolitan nightlife scene which mostly catered to foreigners.

The club’s last hurrah will be July 1. It will host a series of farewell parties starting this Sunday with Vanishing Bangkok, showing a collection of 200 unpublished vintage photos of old Bangkok, taken by Mama Noi and a “Peace Corps guy,” along with jazz session.

The countdown parties will take place from Monday until Thursday. Friday is the last chance to say buh-bye with a big party that promises to carry on until early Saturday morning.

House band Music of the Heart will sing and dance their hearts out every evening, Sunday through Friday’s farewell party.

Check Inn 99 is located between Sukhumvit sois 5 and 7, reachable on foot from BTS Nana exit No. 1.http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/entertainment/2016/06/24/vanishing-bangkok-say-farewell-one-bangkoks-oldest-nightclubs/

copa22.jpg

• Upvote 1