do not smoke on SUK

Guest sustra

Guest sustra

JUST SMOKED A CIGARETTE ON SUKHUMVIT ROAD AT 3 P.M, soi 12.....was fined 2.000 baht by what it looks the "similar" police, because of throwing it in a litter not officially declared an ashtray ...tried to explain that romans used to invent sewers  2.500 years ago....but.....( ....just paid 1.000 baht..did not want to have discussions due to the hot sun......what a shame!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about that sustra, especially since it's your first visit in 3 years. Unfortunately this is a common scam that police and tourist police use to generate some more income - which has been less since the drop in tourist numbers due to the political problems.

I hope the rest of trip is smooth sailing and you really enjoy yourself!

• Upvote 1

JUST SMOKED A CIGARETTE ON SUKHUMVIT ROAD AT 3 P.M, soi 12.....was fined 2.000 baht by what it looks the "similar" police, because of throwing it in a litter not officially declared an ashtray ...tried to explain that romans used to invent sewers  2.500 years ago....but.....( ....just paid 1.000 baht..did not want to have discussions due to the hot sun......what a shame!!!!!!!!!!!

Got done myself a few years ago when I threw my cig butt down a grid on Soi 4, settled on a 1000 baht fine at the Police Box nearl Bully's Pub on Sukhumvit , cant be sure where the money went though :biggrin:

Yep Dave, same same with me, back in 2009. Police box at Bully's pub, give me a form and asked me would I like to fill it in and pay 2000baht fine. Of course the form was written in Thai, so straight away without even giving me a second to think about it, the, ahem ahem, honourable, ahem Police Officer told me to pay 1000 and forget about the form.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

it looks that we all had this fine,back in 2006 walking towards MBK,before i arrive the steps of the bridge,i drop my sigarette in a sewer hole,the cop was somewhere in the middle of the bridge,,i was stopped and ask to pay a fine of 2000baht...i told him that i diddnt had that money on me but i could go inside the mbk  USE MY CREDIT card and bring him the money,he said ok....but when i return back i couldnt find him...so i was a bit lucky.

• Upvote 1

No they are not Police. They are some community servents trying to pad their own pockets getting whatever they can out of litter bugs. Just tell them you have no money or to take you to the station.  They have been locating near Soi 5 the last couple of years. Quite funny as daytime street walkers work right along side of them.

I watched them operate one arvo and they usually follow a smoker down Sukhumvit waiting to see what they do with their cigerette butt. After some one flicks it to the ground they tap them on the shoulder and take them back to the table and try to shake them down for 2,000 baht. 

post-1488-0-02074100-1405157299_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

• 7 years later...

They tried that on me too. Luckily I was warned upfront. I actually lit my cigarette in front of them, and saw them starting following me. When my cigarette was done, I kept the but in my hand until I reached my hotel in Soi 11, where I put it in the ash tray. Hahaha, you should have seen the look in his face, would almost be worth 2K

• Like 3

On 5/29/2022 at 10:24 AM, Dan Miller said:

They tried that on me too. Luckily I was warned upfront. I actually lit my cigarette in front of them, and saw them starting following me. When my cigarette was done, I kept the but in my hand until I reached my hotel in Soi 11, where I put it in the ash tray. Hahaha, you should have seen the look in his face, would almost be worth 2K

Similar thing happened to me near On Nut BTS. I don’t even think he was Police but a security guard. He followed me as I lit up my cigarette and I turned around and pulled out of my pocket a stub it out pouch and his faced dropped. He was just after quick cash, which he wouldn’t have got from me.

I always carry a couple of them in my bag when I go abroad 

40FC1147-6565-48AC-9281-B7A33E702335.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1