Hopf Brewhouse: Anti-Ladyboy Establishment

ddjonge

Hi All,

Sometime ago, a good friend of mine told me about this restaurant that turned him and his ladyboy date away, based on the fact that she was a ladyboy. Finding that hard to believe and making up excuses for it being a busy night, i went down there this afternoon at 2pm with my ladyboy date in hand with my mate. The place was empty and we sat down without any incident...until it was time to order where the waiter informed my date in Thai that Ladyboys were not allowed to eat there.

I was too shocked to say anything and we left. This is in Pattaya, Thailand, de facto home of the ladyboy and we got turned away from an empty place at lunch. un-fucking-believable.

Well my ladyboy date prompty snapped a picture of the sign and posted it on her facebook. She says she isn't upset, but how can she not be? I'm fucking fuming!

So, let's start a fucking boycott of this place and a total all out fucking flamewar of this place, the Hopf Brewhouse on the corner of Soi13/1(same soi as LaBamba, House and Stringfellows) and Beach Road.

Their tripadvisor entry can be found here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3264679-Reviews-Hopf_Brewhouse-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

• Upvote 4

So, your mate told it was a no LB place (actually pretty well known already) and so you take her there to humiliate her (after all, you knew already). What a great guy you are.  

Sorry dude, this ain't the west and places can and do restrict entry/service - just live with it.    By the way, most of us residents have been not going for at least 10 years since they brought in the rule. 

Take it easy on the guy Mardhi!!! He quite clearly stated, that he initially thought the reason his friend and Ladyboy were turned away, was because it was an extremely busy night and they were looking for an excuse. I am sure intended humiliation was the last thing on his mind.

Remember, not all of us are familiar with all things Pattaya, and I certainly, although I knew about the Brewhouse for some time, would not be aware of all non LB friendly within Pattaya, even after 9 years of going there. There is another reason I would deliberately avoid the Brewhouse, and those familiar with La Bamba will know why without me going into detail on it here.

• Upvote 3

I dislike the Brewhouse also. Shitty beer, overpriced, food so-so and often times loud music. Fuck 'em. And yes Mardhi, I think you were a little hard on ddjonge. I am sure his did what he did for the right reasons and certainly not to humiliate his gal. 

• Upvote 1

Since you choose not to go into detail about Brewhause vs La Bamba, how about the Cliff Note version.  The better someone knows

local history and knowledge of the lay of the land ,trouble or embarrassment can be avoided.  I have seen a couple of signs on bars 

in Nana ( Ladyboys Not Allowed). I would appreciate to be forewarned to avoid embarrassing my date and myself. Good intel is something Im sure we all could benefit from.

Ddjonge I was unaware of that rule also until now and it stinks for sure, sorry to hear about your experience. Like many of us here our option for a meal with a ladyboy is out on the water in the Pattaya Beer Garden. Never had any problems bringing a ladyboy there myself as has been the case for most of the guys here. Enjoy your trip and maybe catch you later in the week if you are still in town.

Years ago a bunch of forum members got upset because ladyboys were not permitted to freelance at Pattaya Beer Garden.

But as Bumblebee points out, ladyboys are quite welcome if they are your guests.

Few months ago, I had my first meal at Hopf Brewhouse because some out-of -town Thai heard about it and wanted to go there.

The big surprise was it serves Italian food not German food, or maybe a little of both.

As Sam mentions overpriced for mediocre food.

Clientele is mostly non-mongering visitors to Pattaya.

I won't be going back.

During a short stay in hotel on soi 4 Sukhumvit, BKK,  I used to eat at a restaurant down the road from Raja hotel, cant recall the name of it. I noticed the Hilary Bar sign referred to in a post above.  Whilst at this restaurant one morning, I observed a fairly "out there" couple of LBs sauntering past. One of the staff mentioned that LBs weren't allowed in the place "because they cause trouble". Guess its a bit of a mindset for some operators. Maybe a bad experience or two?

Of course, there would be many GGs that would fit that character description as well. Tatts, raunchy dress sense. ribald behaviour when soused.

Come to think of it - there are quite a few blokes that would fit that description as well.

• Upvote 1

Cat amongst the pigeons time.. lol

I have been going to Hoff for years and enjoy it each time I go there.. granted, I have never taken a LB buddy and used it more as somewhere on my own, with mates or with a gg..

The wheat beer is outstanding and bloody strong, the lager is equally as good. Doesn't take you long to get off your face from their liquid appetisers.. 

Food in my opinion is touch and go although the pizzas are very nice. Petesie and I bought 12, I think for a party at la Bamba one time and they delivered no dramas.. 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess..

I hope the place folds.

Me too .

I heard about this years ago from a ladyboy who was refused service when she went there with a customer .

Its a weird place anyway , my only visit there about 8 years ago I was told people were not allowed inside wearing flip flops so they gave me these stupid giant cheap plastic shoes to wear .

So ladyboys and feet are on the list I wonder what else ? 

By the way the food was pretty average in this pretentious little place . 

Guest sustra

my opinion as an italian gourmet is: why do you choose an italian restaurant anyway in Thailand?????

They have magnificient Thai food!!!!! i love thai restaurant crawling more then bar crawling...

the only place in Pattaya that has decent italian food is a bar in the complex on second road , corner with pattaya Klang...the last one on the left side, just behind the hospital....owned by a thai woman and his italian husband...beer at 45/55 baht and free italian food cooked & served by him for the best customers....do not know if it is still there....

Cat amongst the pigeons time.. lol

I have been going to Hoff for years and enjoy it each time I go there.. granted, I have never taken a LB buddy and used it more as somewhere on my own, with mates or with a gg..

The wheat beer is outstanding and bloody strong, the lager is equally as good. Doesn't take you long to get off your face from their liquid appetisers.. 

Food in my opinion is touch and go although the pizzas are very nice. Petesie and I bought 12, I think for a party at la Bamba one time and they delivered no dramas.. 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess..

I stumbled across this place 2 years ago and agree with you there on the beers and the pizza. Which is why I wanted to go back and share it with my ladyboy girl.

Oh well, fuck em anyway. I shall not be patronising that place any longer.

my opinion as an italian gourmet is: why do you choose an italian restaurant anyway in Thailand?????

Because the italian cuisine is the best in the world, imo. As a westerner you need a break from the noodlesoup every now and then. I've had some excellent italian food in various Pattaya restaurants.

The german restaurant on 2nd road, soi 7, 8 block, is very good, decent prices and lb friendly, so f**k this other place. 

They have magnificient Thai food!!!!! i love thai restaurant crawling more then bar crawling...

the only place in Pattaya that has decent italian food is a bar in the complex on second road , corner with pattaya Klang...the last one on the left side, just behind the hospital....owned by a thai woman and his italian husband...beer at 45/55 baht and free italian food cooked & served by him for the best customers....do not know if it is still there....

It's called "Roger's" but I believe it is closed now. At least it was when I was there in late December. The food was excellent. Roger, an Italian ex-pat, cooked up the Italian dishes and his Thai wife did some terrific Thai recipes. I enjoyed that place a lot.

• Upvote 1

Guest sustra

It's called "Roger's" but I believe it is closed now. At least it was when I was there in late December. The food was excellent. Roger, an Italian ex-pat, cooked up the Italian dishes and his Thai wife did some terrific Thai recipes. I enjoyed that place a lot.

yes, that was the place....pity it is closed....

I like Hopf and have eaten there a number of times. I will however not do so again as I didn't know about the no LB policy. But it likely will make absolutely no difference to Hopf. I've never been for lunch but the place is packed at night at least during high season. You can expect a fair wait to get a table. It is often so crowded for dinner I don't bother going unless I get an early start. Some nights they are so busy they go into 'no pizza mode' and stop accepting orders for pizzas as they can't keep up.

The dress code at Hopf also includes men with bare shoulders. I went in once with a singlet and they gave me a shirt to put over my shirt. I would have left if not for a couple of friends being already seated inside. I went in once with a sleeveless shirt that covered my shoulders and that was apparently OK.   

• Upvote 1

I like Hopf and have eaten there a number of times. I will however not do so again as I didn't know about the no LB policy.

I won't go there either and agree that the place should be boycotted.  I had never heard of this policy either until I saw this thread; I ate at the place one time only 2 or 3 years ago with a farang friend and it was so-so and overpriced, no reason to go back.

Now there is REALLY no reason to go back!

• 2 weeks later...