Coup!

Trenton42

• 6 months later...

BANGKOK // Thailand’s junta chief warned detractors on Wednesday that he would hold onto power indefinitely if they continued to oppose his plans for the kingdom in a heated press briefing ahead of an overseas trip.

Prayuth Chan-ocha, who was appointed as prime minister a few months after seizing power in a coup last May, appeared irritated when he met reporters shortly before flying to Brunei, frequently raising his voice and shaking his head.

“If the situation remains like this I can tell you that I will hold on to power for a long time,” he said after denouncing those who criticise the country’s lack of democratic progress.

Why is there all this fuss about elections?” he asked. “[if there’s no election] will anyone die?”

http://www.thenational.ae/world/southeast-asia/thai-junta-chief-threatens-to-hold-onto-power

• 1 month later...

The purge begins:

Invoking Section 44 of the interim constitution, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has ordered the removal of the first batch of 45 officials and local administrators under investigation of corruption by the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the Office of the Auditor-General and the government sector’s anti-corruption committee.

The high-ranking officials axed include tourism and sports permanent secretary Suwat Sitthilor, tourism department director-general Arnuparb Kasetsuwan, physical education department director-general Pattana Chartkritbovorn, former forest director-general Boonchob Sutthamanaswong, chief inspector-general of finance Sathit Rangkhasiri, Udon Thani governor Noppawat Singsakda.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-axes-45-officials-under-graft-probe-with-his-special-powers

I was chatting with a friend a few days ago and we laughed that it is ironic that a coup and lack of free elections is starting to bring about the practice of appointing someone on their merits for the first time in a long time in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2017             :flirt2:

BANGKOK — Thailand will not see an elected government until early 2017, according to the deputy chairman of the junta’s interim parliament, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA).

Peerasak Porchit told reporters in Lopburi province on 18 July that he believes the "road map" promised by the ruling junta, which seized power from an elected government in May 2014, may be extended yet again in order to prepare for the referendum on the new constitution. 

Under the current schedule, which has seen the date for elections postponed several times, the referendum for the junta-drafted charter will take place in January 2016, followed by a national election in September 2016, if the charter passes the vote.

But Peerasak said he believes referendum date may have to be postponed.

"I believe that we won't be able to hold a referendum in early 2016, because, according to the procedures, we have to print and send charter drafts to 80 percent of all households, which are about 28 million households," Peerasak said. "That will take a lot of time."

He said he expects the referendum to take place in February 2016, followed by an election in December 2016, with the new government taking office in early 2017. 

"Therefore, I believe that this government will stay until early 2017," Peerasak said. "And it will be able to deliberate on the budget for 2017 fiscal year, which will be passed by the NLA. This will benefit the people." 

Speaking to reporters in Ratchaburi province yesterday, Peerasak said he was not suggesting that Gen. Prayuth's government wants to hold onto power. 

"The reason I said the government will stay until 2017 is this: I was explaining the road map of the government. It's not like the government wants to stay on longer," Peerasak said.

"But I want people to understand about the length and scope of the works of the government and the NLA. We have to set a schedule so that we can work in accordance with the road map. This government is in a special situation. Gen. Prayuth is wearing two hats: Prime Minister and leader of the NCPO [the junta's National Council for Peace and Order]. He is here to solve the country's problems. He doesn't want to stay on, or canvass for any votes."

He added, "I insist that this is not a time extension for the Prime Minister to stay on or perpetuate his power, because we will have a new elected government by 2017. Therefore, if we want to do anything in this time, we have to hurry up and do it. I want every side to join hands, solve problems, and reform our country in the remaining time that the NLA and the government have." 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437371207

• 1 month later...

I get the impression that it's more important to be Army Chief than permanent Secretary of Defense.

Thailand doesn't fight many wars so I reckon the army's main concern is insuring peace and order.   

BANGKOK: -- General Teerachai Narkvanich was Friday night appointed the new commander-in-chief of the Army, succeeding Gen Udomdej Sitabutr who will retire end of September.

The royal command appointing Gen Teerachai was published in the Royal Gazette Friday night.

Under the same command, Gen Preechai Chan-o-cha, the assistant commander -in-chief of the Army, and the younger brother of Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha was appointed permanent secretary of the Defense Ministry.