Cost of living for a longer period

Topcat72m

Im new here so I wish to apologize if this is a wrong topic.

I will be early retired from my job in a year. Im making plans to get more work but in also considering my other options. I like the idea of spending some. Time travelling around SE Asia. My pension will be approx $1500pm depending on exchange rates.

I know its not a huge sum but i see other sites saying its enough.

would that be enough to live on PI for a few months. What kind of lifestyle would it provide.

• Upvote 1

Welcome aboard Topcat!  :hi:

And there are no wrong topics here on Ladyboy Review.

I can't speak for the PI, but that's my budget in Pattaya and I am comfortable enough.

The key is to get out of holiday mode eliminating things such as ladydrinks and barfines.

I spend about a quarter of that on rent, in Thailand there's plenty of cheap monthly rentals, and I suggest that you get a place which makes you happy since you will be spending quite a bit of time at home as bars every night gets old quickly.

I have some very low expense days, maybe 5 bucks, mostly on food.  So that I can splurge on other nights if I'm so inclined.

I encourage you to take the plunge!   :biggrin:

Thanks Pdogg

I am hoping that i can go somewhere that has a friendly expat community. The thing I'm a bit wary of with pattaya from looking online is many of the apartments are small. Ideally I'd like something about 66m2 or bigger.

The thing that attracts me to the Philippines is the English speaking locals. I imagine things can get tedious trying to speak pigeon English.

Its no problem to live in Philippine on 1500 dollars a month. Travelling is not expensive. The lowbudget airlines Cebu -pacific   has most of the times promos, the you can buy tickets for a domestic flight for 50 dollar ,  for a distance of 1000 kilometer to the south of north of the country.

Travelling on the islands is cheap also as long as you dont rent a private car with driver.   Travellin with a local bus, non aircon, but open windows, cost only 2 dollar for 100 kilometer distance.

In the provinces everything is less expensive than in big city.    Even cigarettes and local rhum are not expensive. Try the famous  Tanduay Rhum  distellated from sugarcane, less than 50 peso foor a bottle

• Upvote 1

Its no problem to live in Philippine on 1500 dollars a month. Travelling is not expensive. The lowbudget airlines Cebu -pacific   has most of the times promos, the you can buy tickets for a domestic flight for 50 dollar ,  for a distance of 1000 kilometer to the south of north of the country.

Travelling on the islands is cheap also as long as you dont rent a private car with driver.   Travellin with a local bus, non aircon, but open windows, cost only 2 dollar for 100 kilometer distance.

In the provinces everything is less expensive than in big city.    Even cigarettes and local rhum are not expensive. Try the famous  Tanduay Rhum  distellated from sugarcane, less than 50 peso foor a bottle

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Tomcat72M

There are indeed many forums that cover this subject and thankx for the feedback and video links guy`s.....

My advice to you is , now that you are still bussy planning , go and visit the place a few time to get the feeling of it and see if the phillippines is realy the place you like to be at.....

Then make a plan where you will like to be located , and then again visit this location a few time and get as much info as possible as to housing etc etc

Then work out your budget plans , also keep in mind as the other BM state already you have to switch from the monger lifestyle to a Expat lifestyle , by the look of it you will have enough money to get around so i think in general it will not be so difficult.....

Please keep us posted on your plans and moves , i have a special topic folder call Expat on location as soon as your there on the ground , be free to post your experience in this folder and inlight us of your findings

Greetz , Stealth

• 4 months later...

Just an update on my trip costs.

3 month return flights from Dublin, Ireland to Cebu, Philippines. €790. Note if I waited I could have gotten this for €680.

1st week in 3* hotel €80.

Budget for condo within walking distance of Cebu centre 1mile Max. P20,000 p.m.

I have seen a few great looking condo's on rent.pH or agoda advertised for this amount.

Running cost of play and entertainment is as high as you want but my budget is approx €50 per day. I'll have a little surplus for excursions and trips. But I don't expect it to go much more.

• Upvote 1

Greeting's Topcat !!

Just been reading one of your previous posts on pinalove, i had similar thoughts as you about some of the girls on there maybe scammers, i dont use that site much now, i got sick of girls asking for ££££ the best bit about it, some of them would ask soon as they start chatting, some would wait until 2nd chat, and their excuses for  ££££ well there's too many mention, but that's what this site is all about, sharing intel, so have you been to filipines before ? 

Don't get me wrong ! there's a few cuties and looker on that site, but ide most of them are looking for ££££ !! so are you going on this trip to filipines alone ?  oh what airline you using, not sure if you mentioned it on the other post, seemed a good price compared to Thailand, as filipines is further to travel

Welcome aboard Topcat!  :hi:

And there are no wrong topics here on Ladyboy Review.

Hi PD 

From your posts, I get the impression you spend time in Cambodia too. If that assumption is right, how do you find the relative cost of living in phnom penh compared with an equivalent city in the Philippines. ? Is it cheaper,.more expensive or about the same .I'd be particularly interested in how  the costs of nightlife in Cambodia would pan out. Are those costs  generally less than what you would fork-out in somewhere  like Angeles City!!  

I can't speak for the PI, but that's my budget in Pattaya and I am comfortable enough.

The key is to get out of holiday mode eliminating things such as ladydrinks and barfines.

I spend about a quarter of that on rent, in Thailand there's plenty of cheap monthly rentals, and I suggest that you get a place which makes you happy since you will be spending quite a bit of time at home as bars every night gets old quickly.

I have some very low expense days, maybe 5 bucks, mostly on food.  So that I can splurge on other nights if I'm so inclined.

I encourage you to take the plunge!   :biggrin:

Yea. I'm traveling alone.

Flight details are. Dublin to Amsterdam with air lingus. Amsterdam to Hong Kong to Cebu with Cathay Pacific.

Another possible route is to get to Bangkok on whoever is cheapest on the day and then hop on a Cebu Pacific flight to Manila and down to Cebu which is cheap as chips (warning - CP do have a tendency to do stupid things like have a kareoke session at 3 in the morning in order to "make flying fun" (their strapline). Grit your teeth and think of the money you are saving and if you fly with them often, use some of that money to buy a good pair of noise cancelling headphones).

• Upvote 1

I was looking at flights to Bangkok from Philippines. Not as cheap as I thought it would be.

Cebu Pacific runs specials, keep an eye on their website or TV ads, beware tho, they are the Ryanair of SE Asia but not even as predictable.

I'm wavering as to whether to do the same as you are doing but there are a couple of things keeping me here right now. Boracay is a short flight & it will never be as "undeveloped" as your first visit there since it is in a boom. Sinulog in January is good fun in Cebu.

I have no current plans to return to SE Asia anytime soon, just vague notions that I might again sometime once I work out a few things. But I am more interested these days in rekindling my return to Europe, esp the Mediterranean region, too long ignored... 

I will be there for sinalog.

When were you thinking of going. If your about the same time as I am there we could meet for a drink

Keep in mind during Sinulog festival in Cebu prices for hotelrooms  go double price or even triple.    And  all places are fuly booked during that time  from 5 star hotel to budget lodge. So book in advance your hotelrooms

• Upvote 1