If You Could Have One Ladyboy Bar Back....?

bumblebee

Talk of Koyo in another thread got me thinking of the bars that have come and gone over the years in Pattaya.  While there is a great selection of bars today, I reckon from time to time many of you must long for one of the no defunct venues.

So if you were to have one bar back, which one would it be and why?  I came in at the tail end of Club 131 so I only recall its glory days from Francks photos, and so from personal experience i would go with Ezy bar.  In its time there was always a buzz about the place, the girls, the parties, the costumes...

Club 131. My maiden voyage was right after Frank split town and the bar closed down. I remember reading about it and admiring the pictures while planning my trip and then when I got to town it was gone?! Oh well, one door closes another one opens.

Looking at the thread's title I wasn't sure what to expect - for a minute there I thought maybe it was a typo and it was meant as 'if you could have one ladyboy bareback?'  now that would stir things up a bit... =@

• Upvote 4

That made me chuckle 360

Club 131 without a shadow of a doubt, loved the vibe, the small bar ambience & had great fun with a great bunch of larger than life girls ... But the funny thing is, I never talked to a single Falang in there, not even the once.

Second for me as got to be Casanova (Nana) pre 2007/8

And then third is a toss up between Koyo or Ezy on a good day

... And if I could have had any one of those girls from any one of those bars bareback, it probably would have been Alice from Bar 131... But alas she never really took to me & I just couldn't managed to get on with her... Damm!

Uncanny that TripleX has been mentioned so much, that place was the first to cross my mind too. But perhaps for me it was due to that naughty stretch of no-mans land along Second Road nearby out of hours which had a sleaze factor sadly eradicated by Central Festival. Presumably that bar brought ladyboys to the vicinity and I think of it's nearby activities and early hours walks as much if not more than the bar itself.

In answer to BB's question I too would have to say Ezy Bar. It was a fantastic venue for so many reasons and was captured so well on the popular fora of it's day.

Sadly I only caught the very tail-end of Tornado, Goldfingers and 131 :sad0116:

Ezy was definitely the Sensations of it's day, but with aircon  B)

• Upvote 1

Well, its not in pattaya but the first place I thought of was the old BEVERLY HILLS CLUB in bangers.  I might be looking at it via rose colored glasses as I was a bright eyed newbie back then.  The place had a welcoming feeling as I remember it.  The girls sat outside and they gave out a real war whoop when you appoached and went in.  Took a few girls and had some good times in there....

• Upvote 1

So if you were to have one bar back, which one would it be and why? 

EZY.

EZY opened about a week after I relocated to Pattaya.  Even drank there while Karl was putting the finsihing touches on the place and not even open.

It always felt like a party there.  Great tunes.

And I'm a late night person, so it's nice to walk into  aplace at 2:30 AM and the joint was buzzing.

And I'd always bump into someone I know at EZY.

There are other bars that I miss too but don't quite qualify for various reasons.

1) Bar 54.

Bar 54 is still open but the remodeling sucks, don't think there are any ladyboys, and prices have gone up.

In it's glory days it had 7 ladyboys, the most well known being Pookie, but this was early in her career. 

A regular table of str8 Brit expats set the tome for the bar, so things like ladydrinks were not a necessary part of the equation.

Most beers were 35 baht during happy hour which lasted till 9 when the expats left but afterward they were only 45 baht if I remeber correctly.  The ladyboy staff was friendly, the seating comfortable, and being at the beginning of Soi Whitehouse there was a good ocean breeze. 

2) Corner Bar.  Not a ladyboy bar, but rather a gay bar, also a nice place to chill out.  Only a few ladyboys but they went out of the way to make our crowd feel at home.  Only a 300 baht corckage fee to keep your bottle there and free ice.  The owner, Crabby, is a great guy and didn't resent expats on a budget but rather went out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable. 

It is now called Double Shot Bar, all glitzy, and much higher prices.

3) Sunee mini-mart.  Archa cans were just 20 baht.  Big Archa bottles very cheap too, ice buckets 6 baht.  And a free hong nam.  Femboys from all the bars would pop in so u got to see everyone.  In a way like Mouth Moy Bar but big bottles half the price of Mouth Moy.

These three alternatives.were quite inexpensive, but that's just the icing on the cake.  They were great places to hang out.  If a place sucks it doesn't matter how cheap it is.

• Upvote 3

Sally's Bar Jomtien - use to enjoy going there late afternoon and hanging around flirting with the LBs (and GG) staff and watching the passing parade. Sally was one of the great characters and the 60s and 70s music and videos remined me of my youth. -  BF'nd a few honeys out of there also. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Well, its not in pattaya but the first place I thought of was the old BEVERLY HILLS CLUB in bangers.  I might be looking at it via rose colored glasses as I was a bright eyed newbie back then.  The place had a welcoming feeling as I remember it.  The girls sat outside and they gave out a real war whoop when you appoached and went in.  Took a few girls and had some good times in there....

I mentioned this place in the LB trivia thread and no one had heard of it AB, which means you and I are probably the ranking LB-chasers on this forum!   For better or worse :hi:

I enjoyed that place as well, the first real "lounge" setting for LB bars in Bangkok.  Comfortable furniture, cool A/C, low-volume music [all MUSTS]  but more importantly, the girls all wore long, classy gowns or Geisha-type dresses. It was like walking onto a James Bond set; too bad the place only lasted about 6 months.

The one I miss the most is the Crackhouse;  probably because it was the first Ladyboy place  I ever went into in Bangkok, and it was the precursor to Obsession, which became - and still is - the best LB bar ever.  In my opinion, of course.  Great name also :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

2) Corner Bar.  Not a ladyboy bar, but rather a gay bar, also a nice place to chill out.  Only a few ladyboys but they went out of the way to make our crowd feel at home.  Only a 300 baht corckage fee to keep your bottle there and free ice.  The owner, Crabby, is a great guy and didn't resent expats on a budget but rather went out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable. 

Interesting point PD and I wonder do other long termers in Los feel resented at times by bar owners as being cheap Charlies although it's never directly said to their faces.  Perhaps in some bars more than others, but I digress.

I can understand the nostalgia of Triple X as it had a slight edge to it and the fact you might feel like you were doing something excitingly naughty while facing directly and openly onto Second Road added to the buzz.

For me it has to be 131, I think my first visit to Patts was at the time when both the bar and Franck were at the height of their popularity, how Franck eneded up is well documented, but before he lost the plot he was a charming and accommodating host. The staff were for the most part great, including a certain special  Mamasan :love0081: . My first bar fine was Alice an experience I repeated a few times and she never disapointed.

Sadly this "summer of Love" feeling didn't last long, soon Francks main preoccupation apart from Nicky, was scamming customers and staff alike to try to stave off his inevitable financial and probably emotional melt down. Luckily Ezy Bar came to the rescue.

• Upvote 2

Looks like I might be the only one but I had some great nights in Anaconda bar when it was inclosed and had aircon.

I know it wasn't that long ago but I did enjoy the layout, cool air, girls, attitude, prices and music.

Oh and the fun of avoiding a punch up with a homophobic prick on the walk of 'pride' from the bar to the soi for a bike taxi.  

8P

• Upvote 2

Initially looked like a simple answer but then started considering all the 'Lost Bars'.

Club 131 was the first bar to really see the benfit of Forums and Frank did a great job capitalising on this media.

Franks Diary.

He was Mr Charming and I always quoted from My Fair Lady:

"As he oiled his way across the floor, oozing charm from every pore"

He was a professional con-man with a wonderful personality.

He could of had it all but really screwed up.

The bar lasted only 6 months.

The number of people, who came looking for the bar, and just walked past it.

They had assumed, from the internet, that it was a huge emporium and not a single shop unit

EZY Bar was a new offering in Pattaya and Mr Music Man and his team were a real cut above,

He also saw the power of the internet and used it well. I guess his legacy lives on with many ex Ezy staff at Sensations.

Koyo Bar was a terrific location but always too brightly lit.

Goldfingers had some memorable parties and it was always funny to hear/see Bob and Pa switching staff, by Baht Bus, when one venue was short of staff.

Sally's Bar was always different - outside Pattaya and very laid back compared to the City.

Anaconda had all the pretensions of becoming THE bar in town. It had great promise and looked ready to deliver when it closed. The sign is still there.

That left me with Triple X.

It was like the Wild West - crazy, frantic, insane and a great deal of fun. Even Frank was a regular visitor on his motorbike.

Triple X gets my vote just becasue it was so insane.

Screaming LBs running up and down 2nd Road at 2am - can you imagine that today opposite their pristine Central Shopping Mall?

There are so many other smaller bars that have vanished but they were more clique.

• Upvote 5

Nice summary Rossco. I made it to Pattaya proper about the time Goldfingers closed so never had the pleasure.  While it was never popular and has not been mentioned yet, I always had a soft spot for Cat's bar.  Many guys could not find it, but to have basically your own private ladyboy agogo/lounge was always a great option when in the Sunee/Tukcom area. 

Lots of guys say Ezy or Koyo. I never really liked either that much despite enjoying the company of LBs from both. But just my taste (or lack thereof). When XXX was closed the reason was suppose to be they were going to tear down the building to build a road from 2nd Road to Soi Buakhao to improve traffic flow. Since that never happened I assume the actual reason was to protect the soon to be started Central Festival as DC suggests.

Lots of guys say Ezy or Koyo. I never really liked either that much despite enjoying the company of LBs from both. But just my taste (or lack thereof). When XXX was closed the reason was suppose to be they were going to tear down the building to build a road from 2nd Road to Soi Buakhao to improve traffic flow. Since that never happened I assume the actual reason was to protect the soon to be started Central Festival as DC suggests.

Never been any serious discussion about knocking down that real estate to create a road between 2nd & Soi Buakhao that i am aware off.    But then I don't put much store either into the "let's protect Central" storyline.    Simple reality is that the land owners believed with Central coming, that their piece of land is now worth XXXX% more than anyone else thinks it is.    Hence it has not been sold.     Maybe they had visions of The Mall group (Emporium, Siam Paragon etc) coming in with some hi-ball offer to buy and re-develop it.      

If Central were that bothered(about one small LB bar), they would have just bought it (the land) and then closed it down.  As they have not done so, its fair to assume, they were not that bothered either way.         

Never been any serious discussion about knocking down that real estate to create a road between 2nd & Soi Buakhao that i am aware off. 

That was the story from someone in the know at the time and it even drew a bit of discussion on the GG boards. But who knows...