Is It Part Of A Bargirl's Job To Ask For Ladydrinks

pdogg

I was chatting with a friend and he said something like, "it's a bargirl's job to ask for ladydrinks".

In certain bars that might be a part of bargirl's job description or the compensation structure might be set up in a way so that happens.

Me, when asked for a ladydrink often my reactions is "check bin".  Get me the fuck out of this place.

Of course if there is some other compelling reason I'll stay, but I really don't want to say No and then stay in that bar.

Now plenty of guys like buying ladydrinks but who the hell wants to be asked for a drink?

What about you?  Does it piss you off to be asked for a drink or is that just the way it is?

• Upvote 1

I often have been asked (with absolutely no subtlety whatsoever) to buy them a drink. If I am not interested in the gal or feel she is overly aggressive I decline. If I decline it does not mean I move out of the bar. It depends. However sometimes I get asked to buy them a drink because there is a history, a backstory, a familiarity, a something that softens me to give them what they ask and I can easily afford. So I do it. Some of them linger and others move on knowing the one drink is all that will be extended. But either way I tend to move out of the bar shortly afterwards and remain reluctant to return.  

• Upvote 2

Guest sustra

a job needs skills to be done well...they should make you buy'em a drink "without asking"

Usually when asked to buy a drink, as english is not my language,  i reply " solly. dono speaka Anglish" but it's then... that i realize  they can ask You to buy a drink even  gesticulating....

• Upvote 2

For me it depends if I know the girl or would like to but as for pushing them self's on me I decline.

But in Obsession Pattaya I was told to bye a drink for the Mamasun so I picked my girl and we were gone.

The Hilary 4 bar I always bye some girls a drink but they are friends so I think that's different .

• Upvote 2

What about you?  Does it piss you off to be asked for a drink or is that just the way it is?

The place I have been most "asked" for Ladydrinks is Bar Anaconda (now closed), every time I went in it is

was "you buy me drink, you buy me drink" :mad0235:

I did however gladly buy the two cute Lao girls working there a couple of ladydrinks each because of the time they spent with me B)

The other thing that does piss me off though is if I buy a girl a JD & Coke for example and find out its just a Coke :mad0245: , this was the case with Cartoon (No 39) and not Cartoon (big cock No 38) in Obsessions in BKK once :biggrin:

I am quite generous buying ladydrinks imho so most of the time it does not bother me thankfully

• Upvote 2

The other thing that does piss me off though is if I buy a girl a JD & Coke for example and find out its just a Coke :mad0245: , this was the case with Cartoon (No 39) and not Cartoon (big cock No 38) in Obsessions in BKK once :biggrin:

I will add I did know it was only Coke because she upped off and left it so I tasted it <_<

if they keep going on to buy them a drink and its starting to piss me off i tell them go toilet usually when its like they satrt coughing and rubbing there throat i dont mind buying LB drinks but some just take thr piss and if i ever bought one for an LB and she just up and left then she would never get another off me....back to the question i think in bars like say Pooks its part of there job to get punters to by drinks as they are on a wage and have certain targets to achieve that said wage, however FL in other bars asking for drinks i feel is a NO NO even though they maybe getting a small commision out of it like 20baht or 30baht, tops but being FL she can just float around many bars all night which is coming more and more the norm, however at say pooks (both) she cant just up and leave she got to get her BF or ST or keep dancing on those pools baby...... Regards Garry

• Upvote 2

It seems that a lot of the bars including beer bars pay a salary (3 or 4000 baht a month) but the bar will then expect the girls to be there at fixed times often 12 hour shifts,........have customers buy them a minimum amount of ladydrinks for the month (a figure of 100 has been bandied about)and have a minimum amount of barfines...........should they not meet these criteria their salary is reduced

In the ideal world that farm fresh girl just arrived from Isaan would be given a training course in English and how to coerce customers into buying ladydrinks and barfines.Unfortunately this does not happen and they are probably given some tips by more experienced girls if they lucky.......ultimately the new girl is competition in a very competitive world.

Thai culture does not cater for subtleties and it is not unusual for the girls to say things to you that in your home country would be considered rude or insulting ie You pom pui (fat) but there is no malice in these comments.

If I am going to spend time chatting to a girl I always buy them a ladydrink but what used to annoy me is when they ask you to buy their friend a drink or the "friends" ie all the other girls in the bar,come and ask you to buy them a drink because they are friends,

It no longer annoys me because I simply say no.

• Upvote 2

do you guys currently find there is a difference in the hard sell for LD drinks between Thai owned and farang owned bars?

Interesting point BB,  I dont think I have ever been pressured for Ladydrinks in Thai only owned bars except for maybe a couple in the NEP (if they are Thai owned that is???)

• Upvote 1

It's all about the man's preference to freely give or offer something rather than feeling of being pressured or cajoled into having something squeezed out of him. Human nature I guess.

The girls I like and who almost always get a slice of my ladydrink budget are the ones who never ask. When asked directly for a drink I most often just smile and say nothing, but it depends on who it is or how well I know them etc., but it can put me off a potentially attractive girl I'm yet to get to know.

Many bars operate a freelancer style of employment where the girls are free to come and go and have no specific schedule of attendance to keep, it is up to them. If they leave with a customer they get a bar fine cut or they get a cut of all the ladydrinks they receive but there is no quota or targets to meet as there's no salary.

Many assumed staff in bars are essentially freelancers who have been given the option to attend that bar for work as they wish, preferably regularly with no association towards any other bar. If they ever cause a problem or issue then, of course, that privilege can just as easily be revoked.

In the world of nudging a customer for a drink it is definitely a case of less is more.

• Upvote 3

The girls I like and who almost always get a slice of my ladydrink budget are the ones who never ask. When asked directly for a drink I most often just smile and say nothing, but it depends on who it is or how well I know them etc., but it can put me off a potentially attractive girl I'm yet to get to know.

My philosophy entirely , there's nothing more off putting than someone giving your the hard sell .

It's all about the man's preference to freely give or offer something rather than feeling of being pressured or cajoled into having something squeezed out of him.

Yup.

I'm certainly not going to buy a drink for someone who is pressuring or pestering me.

And I don't like saying No to people.

So I generally just leave the bar in order to avoid hostile vibes.  There are plenty of other bars.

Some guys will just buy a drink to make the girl happy reasoning that the drink is not all that expensive anyway.  But not only is he then stuck paying for the drink but also stuck having this girl who he doesn't even want to talk to in his space and giving her an incentive to come over next time you're in that bar.

Also offensive, is perhaps I'll be in a group and a mate may have bought a girl a drink and some other girl comes over to the group uninvited.  Then there's is a toast and the girl without the drink toasts with her hand instead of a drink saying "buy me a drink" non-verbally.

• Upvote 1

... and the girl without the drink toasts with her hand instead of a drink saying "buy me a drink" non-verbally.

Lemon (Minao) at La Bamba has a bad habit of doing that, she does it a lot and it will never, ever work with me. I've told her as well but it clearly falls on deaf ears or the message isn't understood.

As well as them hinting by using that tactic I often wonder if it's also their way of having a little piss take back at us. They just don't realise how much it works against them. 

• Upvote 1

I can't really add to much to what has already been said only to say I wont buy a drink for anyone unless I want to... But I will always say no with a lovely Thai style smile... of course    :biggrin:

Some thing also along side this topic of  Lady drinks and can be a more aggravating source of annoyance is the price quoted or shown.  In this I have 2 examples that lost both the bars any more of my business plus the ladies too.

Firstly I was drinking well one night and decided to BFa certain girl and so a few LD's were to follow. I had asked the price first and was quoted 150 so thought ok that's normal. When later on I got the bill it showed 180 for 5 LD's. In short there answer was she was drinking Black Label not Jack Daniels and coke. Just bullshit, but she lost a BF and further payments plus the bar closed a week later.... thats karma I guess.    :crazy:

The second time was seeing a sign in the bar saying LD 120 and then later being charged 150 to be told ...'Oh thats for soft drink"  Its not the money but the blatant bullshit to mislead and get a little extra from us.

If Im told 150 or 250 Im happy to pay that as I have agreed too and I dont care if she has a coke or cocktail as I know its a money / commission spin anyway. Just dont pad my bill and bullshit me .....  Now thats annoying.

• Upvote 3

I can't really add to much to what has already been said only to say I wont buy a drink for anyone unless I want to... But I will always say no with a lovely Thai style smile... of course    :biggrin:

Some thing also along side this topic of  Lady drinks and can be a more aggravating source of annoyance is the price quoted or shown.  In this I have 2 examples that lost both the bars any more of my business plus the ladies too.

Firstly I was drinking well one night and decided to BFa certain girl and so a few LD's were to follow. I had asked the price first and was quoted 150 so thought ok that's normal. When later on I got the bill it showed 180 for 5 LD's. In short there answer was she was drinking Black Label not Jack Daniels and coke. Just bullshit, but she lost a BF and further payments plus the bar closed a week later.... thats karma I guess.    :crazy:

The second time was seeing a sign in the bar saying LD 120 and then later being charged 150 to be told ...'Oh thats for soft drink"  Its not the money but the blatant bullshit to mislead and get a little extra from us.

If Im told 150 or 250 Im happy to pay that as I have agreed too and I dont care if she has a coke or cocktail as I know its a money / commission spin anyway. Just dont pad my bill and bullshit me .....  Now thats annoying.

My sentiments exactly Foggy... If the bar wants a little bit more of a tickle out of me, that's fine, as they've got to make as much money as they possibly can while the sun shines, but it's the utter bullshit that they make us try & soak up that leaves me really cold & sometimes in the past as even put me on the offensive...

There's nothing worse than been really made to feel like a chump & having your intelligence insulted by these he people... It's exactly the same as someone looking you straight in the face & calling you wanker with a beaming smile on their face... AND MEANING IT!

And most in this scene are arsehole enough to take it, which is a shame, because it just wouldn't happen if we didn't... But then that's the extent of ladyboy infatuation for you, it just turns most into putty in their hands. 

The real pisser for me, is that up here in Chiang Mai we've got three fully aspirated ladyboy bars & they're on you from the very word go, it's like sporadic machine gun fire... So I've just got to suck it up, smile & ignore them, or if they're new, politely say something along the lines of, "Me no tourist, me work here, no have tourist money, why not yoo buy me drink?"... And they'll either usually go or give me a gob full.. 

Funnily enough we've got four fully aspirated ladyboy bars if you include the cabaret... And in there, even though the owner will aggressively tell the staff no to charge me ladyboy drink prices, I still get charged for them every time that I get my bill... But then that's probably because the ugly pantomime dame ones who run the bar really get pissed of that I only talk & buy drinks for the pretty ones...

So there you go, they'll even do it to me when the boss has told them not to... Just goes to show how ingrained treating us like cunts is!

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

There is a bar in Pattaya that I will never set foot in again. Went in with a LB and one aggressive LB kept saying "Buy me drink!" Then the other LBs stopped dancing and began saying why you not buy her drink? 555

The farang owner was there but just kept playing with his phone and could care less. I check binned and left, the only customer in the bar and they were not happy until they drove us off, LOL.

The LB I went with was shocked. She worked at a beer bar where they were not allowed to ask for a drink (Pattaya Dark Side bar...)

Back on topic, if I'm interested in a LB, then I do buy her a drink, its her job after all. If some aggressive LB demands a drink, especially if I'm not interested in her, I politely decline, then check bin and leave. I've found its pointless in trying to have a quiet word with management, so I vote with my feet and usually never go back :)

• Upvote 3

Bar owners have different strategies as to building a successful business. Guess it depends to a large degree how important repeat business is.

Bar girls have their own agenda which often conflicts with the interests of a bar owner.

Here in Phnom Penh the two extremes are represented by Candy Bar and Loco Bar.

In the Candy Bar the full court press is on from the moment you walk in. Maybe some guys don't mind or maybe some actually enjoy it.

Loco Bar has a policy where girls are not permitted to ask for a lady drink. the owner is a barang who does his best to keep everyone happy.

Which bar is more successful?

I really don't know.

All I know is that Candy is a shithole that I try to avoid. But that said, it does have more ladyboys than probably any other bars while Loco has only one. When buddies visit from out of town, I wind out going there as they have a choice of ladyboys.

But if a str8 mate came to town, I would never bring him there.

Ii suppose the most skilled bar girls manage to get drinks without asking. Perhaps ugly ones have found out the only way they will get drinks is to pressure guys.

About six years ago I was in the Shanghai Bar, PP (Think that was the name) and a girl was causing trouble behind the bar. A barang manager immediately went to her, slapped her in the face, knocked her down and drug her from behind the bar. Then one of the bar's Cambodian security guys drug her the rest of the way and out the door. And the girl left, no screaming insults or nothing.

After living in Thailand, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Of course life is cheap in Cambodia and maybe she had the guy whacked later but I've NEVER seen a farang manager or owner get physical with a Thai girl or LB ever.

Life is interesting :)

• Upvote 2

Shanghai Bar, PP

Shanghai Bar is on the corner of Street 51 and Street 172.

Always seemed like a well managed bar.  Guess that's how they keep the girls in line.

Perhaps the prettiest girls in Phnom Penh.

Unusual barfine system, 30 USD but all money you spend on food, drinks, and ladydrinks count towards the barfine.

But many of the grls will not sleep with customers.

No ladyboys.

And this I can vouch for.  :notfair:

Yes, I was there on another occasion and an expat told me that as well- just because you BF a hostess, don't assume she will sleep with you. That little detail has to be discussed before hand :)

I remember the way they would put a few ice cubes in a saucer, then use a small towel to dab the ice cubes, then clean your face. Sort of a poor cousin of the wet towels that many beer bars used to provide gratis in Thailand. Come to think of it, its been a while since a Thai bar girl has done that for me :(