"How I Help Transgender Teens Become Who They Want To Be"

RocketSquirrel

Dr. Norman Spack discusses his use of hormones to prolong puberty in teenagers giving them the opportunity for a more satisfying transition should that be their decision.

I found this talk to be quite interesting and I am not able to find any fault to this approach.  It really illustrates the enormous power of hormone replacement therapy.

• Upvote 2

This method has been around for a while - one of the most famous cases was a German transsexual - Kim Petras. Her doctors prescribed the antiandrogen - cyproterone (Androcur) when she was around 12. She then had SRS at 16.

The drawback with this treatment is that antiandrogens are quite expensive, but it is probably the best treatment. If the young child changes their mind, stopping the antiandrogens is still reversible, but protects them against the masculinizing effects of testosterone.

This process is not used in Thailand because of cost. Female hormones via the use of cheap oral contraceptives are available without prescription (although recently regulations were passed to restrict this). Young transsexuals can easily get these at young ages 10-11, etc.

My lb gf thinks this is probably too young to start, and feels the antiandrogen treatment is better - but as cost is prohibitive probably few if any Thai lbs use this approach.

• Upvote 1

• Ladyboys

This method has been around for a while - one of the most famous cases was a German transsexual - Kim Petras. Her doctors prescribed the antiandrogen - cyproterone (Androcur) when she was around 12. She then had SRS at 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJXR1wXofA

The drawback with this treatment is that antiandrogens are quite expensive, but it is probably the best treatment. If the young child changes their mind, stopping the antiandrogens is still reversible, but protects them against the masculinizing effects of testosterone.

This process is not used in Thailand because of cost. Female hormones via the use of cheap oral contraceptives are available without prescription (although recently regulations were passed to restrict this). Young transsexuals can easily get these at young ages 10-11, etc.

My lb gf thinks this is probably too young to start, and feels the antiandrogen treatment is better - but as cost is prohibitive probably few if any Thai lbs use this approach.

I do agree with your gf rxpharm. It is too young to start. But yes this discussion is very interesting. I'd like to learn more about this studies.

• Upvote 1