The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

• 10 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 2:24 AM, Pdoggg said:

Category: 20th Century Literary Characters--

His first name refers to the ancient district in which you’d find the Greek capital; his surname is a bird.

Not an easy one and no guesses.   :judge:

This was a recent Final Jeopardy answer in the phenomenal run of superstar contestant James Holzhauer.

:judge:

Ha ha, you’re killing me!

It always seems so much easier when I’m watching the show from my lounger. Probably because the ones that I can’t answer, one of them answers it before I’ve fully thrown in the towel and so I guess I must tell myself that I would’ve figured it out given enough time.

Well, now I have enough time, thus no excuses. Didn’t have a clue,  as I have always been fairly weak in geography and never would’ve guessed name of the Greek capitol district. 

Next!

Many folks know the legendary story of how Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album was inspired by the former bandleader who devolved into mental illness and was replaced by David Gilmore. This former member turned up - uninvited and unexpected - during the recording sessions after a 10 year absence, and told the guys "I'm here to play my bit". Roger Waters was so moved/distraught/disturbed by the site of his former friend that he went home that night and wrote the lyrics for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" in homage.

Most folks know the legend, and know the name of the former band member. So:

Who inspired the lyrics, and what was his real first name?

• Like 1

Ok, you got the easy part the - name of the former band member who inspired the lyrics. Syd Barrett originally named the band after his two favorite blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, wrote & sang lead on the bulk of the tracks on the first album, which he named "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" after a chapter title in one of his favorite books "The Wind In The Willows."

But the hard part of the question remains unanswered: what was his real first name?

• Like 2

Just read an article about Johnny Rotten. He is living in a big house in LA and evidently the local scallies jumped his fence and set up tents on his front lawn.  Also his wife has early stages of dementia and this is not helping out with stress levels.  Anyway, he is begging the cops to do something!!!  Irony that.  In his youth it was all about anarchy and fucking "The Man" now he is trying to enjoy the fruits of his labor and he wants "The Man" to help him out.

Its amazing how your perspective changes.....

• Like 1
15 hours ago, deepthroat said:

Ok, you got the easy part the

Oh,  I have no idea. I just know Barrett was a troubled soul.

Pink Floyd was played more when I liked getting stoned which is a very long time ago now :biggrin:

10 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

In his youth it was all about anarchy and fucking "The Man" now he is trying to enjoy the fruits of his labor and he wants "The Man" to help him out.

Its amazing how your perspective changes.....

Never really liked this poser, but sure, you were in the Pistols, you have earned your claim to fame.

Punk and disorder become less attractive with age:biggrin:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seven said:

Oh,  I have no idea. I just know Barrett was a troubled soul.

Pink Floyd was played more when I liked getting stoned which is a very long time ago now :biggrin:

Never really liked this poser, but sure, you were in the Pistols, you have earned your claim to fame.

Punk and disorder become less attractive with age:biggrin:

Not only age but wealth.  its amazing how perspective changes-especially when one has more to lose......

• Like 1
19 hours ago, deepthroat said:

Ok, you got the easy part the - name of the former band member who inspired the lyrics. Syd Barrett originally named the band after his two favorite blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, wrote & sang lead on the bulk of the tracks on the first album, which he named "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" after a chapter title in one of his favorite books "The Wind In The Willows."

But the hard part of the question remains unanswered: what was his real first name?

Although the Painter/Piper/Prisoner was known to the world as Syd Barrett, he was known to his mother as ROGER.

Next?

• Like 2