The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

11 hours ago, Sylvester said:

Ecuador

Is the correct answer :)

“Panama hats can be seen on the heads of Inca statues in the shape of a triangular cone -the tradition of weaving hats in Ecuador has been around for over 500 years.

The hats global fame came by an unusual quirk of history, the Panama Isthmus, which links the North and South America. It gave its name to the elegant hat known throughout the world as ‘The Panama Hat’ due to the Panama Canal trading post that shipped products from all over South America.”

Despite their name, Panama hats have never been made in Panama, and originate in Ecuador, the only place in the world that has such a long lasting weaving tradition. The construction workers whose strength was tested building the Panama canal used Ecuadorian Hats as protection from the harsh sun.

The name ‘Panama Hat’ was introduced in 1906, when photos of President Roosevelt were published in the press, while he was overseeing the Panama Canal construction.”

https://panamahats.co.uk/panamas-guide/history-of-panamas/

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Is the correct answer :)

“Panama hats can be seen on the heads of Inca statues in the shape of a triangular cone -the tradition of weaving hats in Ecuador has been around for over 500 years.

The hats global fame came by an unusual quirk of history, the Panama Isthmus, which links the North and South America. It gave its name to the elegant hat known throughout the world as ‘The Panama Hat’ due to the Panama Canal trading post that shipped products from all over South America.”

Despite their name, Panama hats have never been made in Panama, and originate in Ecuador, the only place in the world that has such a long lasting weaving tradition. The construction workers whose strength was tested building the Panama canal used Ecuadorian Hats as protection from the harsh sun.

The name ‘Panama Hat’ was introduced in 1906, when photos of President Roosevelt were published in the press, while he was overseeing the Panama Canal construction.”

https://panamahats.co.uk/panamas-guide/history-of-panamas/

Lucky guess. I think I knew that because I visited Panama years ago and bought a Panama hat. I think the shop keeper told me about Ecuador. 

I've been searching all over the house since you posted this question and can't find the fucking thing. lol

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 6:09 AM, Woodie said:

I know it is an old post, but I get the feeling you don't like him?.

You're feeling is correct. I'm not stupid, or a racist bigot. Common requirements for being a Trumptard. People in the US who still support him are the most delusional on the face of the Earth. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Quietguy said:

What is C/2022 E3 (ZTF) ?

5555. I read it this afternoon. This is comet that is going to pass very near the earth (42 million km) and that already passed at its nearest of the sun (140 million km). I don't remember what observatory detected it as it was passing Jupiter's orbit coming from the periphlia of its trajectory. They first believed that was an asteroïd. 

The whole periode of the comet lasts about 50,000 years. The last time human beings saw as a comet was at the neolithic (according to what they said) but I'd rather say before the Magdalenian time. 

• Like 3
On 10/23/2022 at 5:45 AM, Quietguy said:

What is the name of the brightest star in the night sky?

On 10/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, Quinn said:

I always thought it was something that rhymes with 'Penis' ! 55555

On 10/23/2022 at 10:18 PM, Quietguy said:

Venus is the brightest celestial body in the night sky apart from the moon, but it is a planet not a star.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:34 PM, Quietguy said:

Obviously no astronomers or Greek speakers on here.

The answer is Sirius, also known as Alpha Canis Majoris or the Dog Star. 8.611 light years from Earth. 

I'm not 100% certain as I usually see skies from the Northern hemisphere, but this is a pic of sky over Pattaya tonight.

The bright object above the Moon should be Venus, and the dimmer one below should be Sirius.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 19.20.09.png

• Like 2
On 1/24/2023 at 7:34 AM, Quietguy said:

I'm not 100% certain as I usually see skies from the Northern hemisphere, but this is a pic of sky over Pattaya tonight.

The bright object above the Moon should be Venus, and the dimmer one below should be Sirius.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 19.20.09.png

really cool pic QTguy.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:06 AM, Zeppie said:

cool pic

I only used phone camera. I got interested in the stars and planets during the first covid lockdown. The huge reduction in traffic pollution meant I could see the night skies above London a lot more clearly. Previously the air pollution along with light pollution largely obscured the stars, also the UK weather means skies above London are cloudy a lot of the time. And I didn't know you can actually see most of the planets in our solar system with the naked eye. I saw Mars then for the first time, it's a pinkish colour from the red dust storms which swirl around it. I was waking up at 3am most nights to see it through my bedroom window.

Venus is the brightest object. I had previously thought what I saw was a star but it is a planet. A bit smaller than Earth it is bright because it is enveloped by freezing sulphuric acid and acidic crystal clouds which reflect 70% of the Sun's light. The Moon only reflects 10% as it is grey rock.

Fascinating subject which puts into perspective our brief mortal existence.

• Like 3

Planets (not the Moon) follow the same path as the sun in daytime. You can "draw" this path mentally with your finger pointing at the position at sunrise, then turning south to the position at noon, then to the position at sunset. 

One can't see Venus very clearly all year long. It's quite logical since one can't can't see Venus when its position in the sky is too close to the Sun's position. When it's at the furthest, Venus is veru bright. Good to know, Venus orbit remains inside the earth orbit. So Venus elongation (angle between the axis Earth-Sun and the axis Earth Venus) remains not higher than 46°. This means that Venus will rise less than 3 hours before sunrise or will set less than 3 hours after sunset. We have to look for it "following" the sun in the west horizon in the evening. 

If one can see a planet (almost) as bright as Venus at midnight in a south sector, this can be only Jupiter. If one see a star a little bit less bright with yellow colours, it should be Saturn. 

I found no time to make photos of planets with my new Nikkon since I purchased it. When I tested it, I found a star high in the sky and shot it. The pic revealed it was a (probably giant) blue star.  Conjunctions are amazing. I remember a conjunction Moon+Venus+Jupiter in July 2015. It was amazing to see these 3 lights near the Northwest horizon in the still light blue sky. 

Let me ask you a question for the quizz : how long does it take for the earth to rotate 360° around the axis of the poles ?
Be careful : it's a P/G question. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I only used phone camera. I got interested in the stars and planets during the first covid lockdown. The huge reduction in traffic pollution meant I could see the night skies above London a lot more clearly. Previously the air pollution along with light pollution largely obscured the stars. And I didn't know you can actually see most of the planets in our solar system with the naked eye. I saw Mars then for the first time, it's a pinkish colour from the red dust storms which swirl around it. 

Venus is the brightest object. I had previously thought what I saw was a star but it is a planet. A bit smaller than Earth it is bright because it is enveloped by freezing sulphuric acid and acidic crystal clouds which reflect 70% of the Sun's light. The Moon only reflects 10% as it is grey rock.

Yes, it is fascinating QTguy.......glad you shared it with us.  I am surprised to here you say we can see most of the planets with the naked eye, i was not aware. 

PS.  As for Mars ("I saw Mars then for the first time").  I've been there its not worth seeing.........

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Zeppie said:

I am surprised to here you say we can see most of the planets with the naked eye, i was not aware. 

I wasn't aware of that either @Zeppie. I'd always thought you would need a telescope as they are millions of miles away. I never took much notice of the skies above London as you could rarely see any stars. It was only during the first covid lockdown that they became a lot clearer and someone told me that the pinkish one was actually Mars.

There are only a couple of 'dark' places in UK where the night sky is more visible. When I was on holiday in a village in Crete I could see countless numbers of stars in the Milky Way in our Galaxy. It was breathtaking. I could understand why ancient civilisations put so much belief in the night skies.

There are trillions of stars in our Galaxy, and trillions upon trillionsof galaxies in the Universe. Most stars have at least one planet orbiting them.

I think in the US there are more 'dark' places over deserts and less inhabited areas where the enormity of our Galaxy can be seen.

• Like 2

QTguy.......I am talking as a novice, but I THINK if you go up northern states and out west.......you can get some magnificent views of the stars/plants/moons, etc., with the naked eye. I use to have a telescope as a kid, but didn't really used it for its intent, if u get my drift.......

• Like 3
On 1/31/2023 at 3:05 AM, Quietguy said:

I got interested in the stars and planets during the first covid lockdown

I got back into this about 6 or 7 years ago.  I was always interested  in space when I was younger but life came along.  But now I love to wander around on a clear night and appreciate what is out there. 

On 1/31/2023 at 3:05 AM, Quietguy said:

Absolutely, a slither of life between two immense voids.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:17 AM, Quietguy said:

countless numbers of stars in the Milky Way in our Galaxy. It was breathtaking. I could understand why ancient civilisations put so much belief in the night skies.

It’s where we come from, we are star stuff for sure.

“The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us -- there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries.”

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

7AB63D49-0E02-4E6D-9BFC-07D5C18C3FA7.jpeg

On 2/1/2023 at 4:17 AM, Quietguy said:

There are trillions of stars in our Galaxy, and trillions upon trillionsof galaxies in the Universe. Most stars have at least one planet orbiting them.

And that’s only the observable Universe some interesting theories online about how it all came about.

• Like 2