Movies Showing In Thailand

pdogg

Hey hey now, why all the animosity?? 

Oops! You know I read my post to ensure I had written nothing that could be taken the wrong way. It must be a cultural thing because there was zero intention to be offensive. How long have we "known" each other anyway? Did you think I suddenly decided to lash out at you over some silly movie? I don't think so. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Highly nominated, yet doesnt get the nod for best picture in much at all, c'mon Paccy no way it can win the big one!! :character00292:

Hmmm, it's not looking good is it? I have toned my expectations yet again. 

So what will win? American Hustle? Gawd, I hope not but it has got the dream cast. 12 Years A Slave, perhaps the highest quality film based on reviews despite the subject matter. Maybe a worthy winner. Wolf on Wall Street? Martin Scorsese makes a good film & Hollywood does like him. 

If we base it on the percentage of excellent reviews a film gets from the public on the big review website here in Australia the Oscar would be won by Philomena. They are raving about it. I may even go see it myself.

American Hustle might sweep the best actors categories. But I doubt it will win best picture.

I penciled in Bale for best actor as soon as i saw AH, but after WOW could just as easily go to De Caprio.

Be interested to see the results.. the girls seem to be getting all the kudos in AH - JL was priceless tho... quite like her now.

May I ask why the hell there are TEN nominees this year for best picture??

Doesn't that seem like quite a bit?

I liked it much better when there were 5.

Not to be too synical, because im sure all nominated movies have some merit, but im sure that putting that nominated stamp on the poster helps the sales along.

• 9 months later...

Will probably go to the movies tomorrow with my teerak.  Below are some choices.  If you have seen any of these,please let me know if you've enjoyed them or anything else now playing in Pattaya.

Interstellar

I hated 2001 and have a feeling I'll be bored to death but am willing to consider it if other enjoyed it.

Equalizer

Fury

John Wick

Love Rosie

Before I Go To Sleep

I haven't been to the movies lately but I do follow the reviews so I know what I want to watch when I next get the chance. 

So with that disclaimer, here's a few thoughts about the films you listed  - 

Interstellar  -  I'm going to see it tomorrow (I think). It's a big budget production by Christopher Nolan who makes big budget films (the Batman flicks for a start). Reading the reviews from the public on a large review site here in Australia, it is a very polarising film with those who like it really liking it & those who don't like it, hating it. It wasn't my first choice actually but I am taking a member of Gen Y & he is keen. The soundtrack is way too loud by reports & the dialogue delivered by Matthew McConaughey is difficult to follow thanks to his exaggerated drawl. (Being American you may not find that a problem) One reviewer whose opinion I respect rates this as 4.5 / 5 which is highly unusual for him to give such a score to a sci-fi pic. There are complaints about it being a bit "hokey" but overall. there is enough positive vibe to convince me to go. I just hope I am not apologising tomorrow. Oh & BTW, it's almost three hours long. You might want to take that into consideration.

Equaliser  -  my young film companion liked this but even he concedes the violence is shocking. I like Denzel & I can deal with lots of violence because I know it is just a movie but comments about the film have done nothing to convince me to go see it. Thais love ultra-violence, your teerak might really like it.

Fury  -  I like the premise but the reviews are mixed & not very encouraging. The ending is completely far-fetched with the tank triumphing over impossible odds to win the day. If you want a jolt of American jingoism, this will be right down your alley. I'm sure it is entertaining & you should consider it.

John Wick  -  I'm not a big Keanu Reeves fan but apparently he's good in this. I have no idea what to make of it, public reviews range from 5 stars to none. I imagine they can be broken down by the age of the reviewer, young guys love all the shooting, older viewers need something more. Again it is perfect for Thai audiences & your teerak may think it is better than Xmas. Especially if she fancies Keanu.

Love Rosie  -  far too sentimental IMO for what you might be looking for at the movies. A completely contrived plot which doesn't stand up to scrutiny in a movie made for single females looking to restore faith that romance can survive stupidity. OK I made that last bit up but reading between the lines, it sounds bloody awful. Go at your own peril.

Before I Go To Sleep  -  decent leads in Nicole Kidman & Colin Firth but other than that I know nothing about it. Public reviews are quite strong with someone calling it a decent thriller. Maybe research it yourself but why bother when you have some good action films to see instead. Go by all means, it may turn out to be a nice surprise. I won't be going though, the reviews given by those paid to review were lame at best.

So a quick review given by someone who has seen none of them. Truth be told, my comments are probably fairer to the films than if I had seen them. I can neither over-praise nor over-criticise a film if I have never seen it. And it is up to each of us to make up our own minds as to what we like. 

• Upvote 1

I'm glad you enjoyed it Sam. I can't take issue with your comment about the ending but I will copy & paste some words about the ending written on a public review site here in Oz.

Paul:    "The only downside was the final battle, too long & too unrealistic"

Auster:   "The final one (battle scene) is unbelievable"

Sam L:   "The battle scenes were spectacular & reflected the true horrors of war, only let down with the almost laughable final scenes"

bill foord:   "the last scene was just too much"

Kato:         "The ending belied belief, only the Americans were able to shoot straight it seemed"

Mark:         "Totally unbelievable climax"

Paul:          "the ending is for the US market"

Ron:           "The only thing missing in this movie was a serving of apple pie"

And finally  -  Mark bucca:       "It was the last scene. I really enjoyed the film but yes the last battle was not believable and the protracted discussions between the two main characters at the climax of the battle gave the impression the war stopped so they could have a talk. In reality they would have been shot to heaven or hell 10 times over while they bled and spoke."

These are not my words, they have been lifted straight from here   -

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s4109070.htm

I can't speak for Sam but it sure sounds like classic jingoistic bullshit to me.

So which movie did you see PD? And did you enjoy it?

I chose John Wick over the Equalizer because it had a better Rotten Tomato score and takes place in New York.

It was OK, lots of fight scenes and killing. My teerak liked it. A cheap enough date. But I can't really recommend it to anyone.

If I knew in advance what my level of satisfaction would be for Wick then I would have chosen the Equalizer instead.

Thanks for the reviews Paccers!

Without having seen either I think you made the right choice. After my "review" my gut feeling was John Wick was the pick of them.

There are some terrible reviews for The Equaliser which combined with its excessive violence could have made it a bad experience.

The young guy I quoted after seeing it did say he thought I wouldn't enjoy it because even him & his mates considered it beyond the pale.

When teenagers start questioning the violence in a movie you know the producers have gone about as far as possible.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of anyone who has seen it.

Yup, did it twice and will never do it again.

My 2 horror movies......not literally, but you know....were The Day After Tomorrow, some science-fiction nonsense which Dennis Quaid would like to forget he ever made, and Hellboy. Wish I could get those 4 hours of my life back.

Never again.  Obviously transgendered Thai boys and myself don't share the same interests in movies; who would've guessed? :crazy:

I like Dennis Quaid , but hes made some shitmovies in his career. I'll never watch films like Independence day, Inception, Day after tomorrow, 2012 etc etc. I know i don't like them.

Very rare i fall asleep in theaters , but when i went to see National Treasure with Nick Cage, Lyla, yes the Lyla, had to wake me up.

Nick Cage is usually  very entertaining but not even he could keep me awake. :biggrin:

Lyla, yes the Lyla, had to wake me up.

Nick Cage is usually  very entertaining but not even he could keep me awake.

Or even Lyla!!

Still to this day one of the best sex partners I have ever had, holy hell....

You have GOT to see Inception!  Yes, it's science-fiction or whatever they call ''impossible nonsense'' these days,  but it's pretty good!  Leonardo played a good role and that little Ellen Page is easy on the eyes [shame she doesn't like boys]. But then again I may have just liked it because of the Cali prime bud I was hitting  :rolleye0012:   It really is quite trippy

I've seen Independence Day at least 20 times......bear in mind I have 2 kids and when that was released in DVD in 1997 they played it on a constant loop in the family VCR.

Lyla in her prime below, just 'cause you mentioned her ^_^

post-107-0-02828500-1416506302_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1