Movies Showing In Thailand

pdogg

When I go to the movies, it's generally with the teerak, a date thingy.

In deciding what to see I generally check out Rotten Tomatoes, which gives me a pretty good idea if I'll like t or not.

But nothing beats the recommendations of our Forum Members and their dates.  So please let us know if you and your ladyboy date liked a movie or not.

We saw Captain Phillips last night,

Two thumbs up!   :character0007::party0011:

Yet another funny story from my recent stay in Pattaya.  One afternoon my sweetie and I saw Captain Phillips at Central Festival.  I had heard about Thais being rather somewhat racist, but had never really had any experience with it.  After the movie I asked Sweetie what she thought about the ending.  She said, "Good.  They black.  I don't like."  A bit taken aback I pointed out that they got what they got because they were pirates, not because they were black.  Her reply?  "Yes, black pirates."  Oh, my...

In deciding what to see I generally check out Rotten Tomatoes, which gives me a pretty good idea if I'll like t or not.

I agree with this line, PD;  while I would never take the word of just ONE critic, when it's an aggregate site like RT and they give you a % of critics who liked it and didn't like it, that makes it a little easier to go see.

Captain Philips; 93%, most likely something I'd go see. If 93% of critics say it's worth seeing, I'd tend to agree with them. Jack and Jill, with the always-hilarious [?] Adam Sandler at 3%? "The Undefeated", the movie about Sarah Palin from 2011 at ZERO%?  Most likely movies I would skip. In fact, anything under a 50% on that site would make me pause.

Happy you liked the Philips movie, been meaning to see that one myself.

Interesting film Captain Philips, it's well done but strangely underwhelming. Go & see it by all means, I know others rate it more highly than I do. I don't dislike it & lots of it is excellent but there's something predictable about how it all plays out. And as for the outcry about how Tom Hanks was robbed when he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, the Academy showed they judge roles on their merits & not on reputation. I can't quite decide whether Tom tried too hard or he just walked through his role. At no time did I feel I was watching a great performance. Tom is altogether better in Saving Mr Banks where he plays Walt Disney. 

Here in Australia, the film critics I take notice of have all said the movie Capt Philips should have been is the Danish film A Hijacking, also about a ship being taken hostage by Somali pirates. I haven't seen it but they rate it as far better than the Hollywood version. I see Rotten Tomatoes rate it 95% versus Capt Philips 93%. Not enough difference to worry about but going on reviews I have read, the Danish film comes out far ahead. 

Is Gravity showing in Thailand yet? I still think it deserves the Best Movie Oscar next month but I'm not as confident as I was. There's speculation about American Hustle & 12 Years A Slave with parties divided about which one they think might win it. There's hardly any mention that Gravity is even in the race.

I haven't seen 12 Years A Slave but from reports about all the violence & how many beatings & torture scenes are in it, I would be surprised if the Academy honoured a film that portrays that time in US history in such a negative fashion. But maybe it's really well done & they see merit in giving it recognition. 

As for American Hustle, you can knock me over with a feather if that gets the win. That would make two years in a row that an average film took out the top prize after Argo's surprise win last year. American Hustle does have a good cast who turn in fine performances but the plot was convoluted & much of the picture wanders along aimlessly trying to find its raison d'etre. OK, that's an exaggeration but for an Oscar frontrunner, I have never seen more negative comments about a movie as there are for American Hustle here on our local movie review site. And some of them are vicious, people absolutely hate it.

So I stick by my prediction but I wouldn't put one dollar on it. Gravity has the aura of a prize winning film but who knows what the voters are looking for.

Is Gravity showing in Thailand yet? I still think it deserves the Best Movie Oscar next month but I'm not as confident as I was. There's speculation about American Hustle & 12 Years A Slave with parties divided about which one they think might win it. There's hardly any mention that Gravity is even in the race.

I haven't seen 12 Years A Slave but from reports about all the violence & how many beatings & torture scenes are in it, I would be surprised if the Academy honoured a film that portrays that time in US history in such a negative fashion. But maybe it's really well done & they see merit in giving it recognition. 

As for American Hustle, you can knock me over with a feather if that gets the win. That would make two years in a row that an average film took out the top prize after Argo's surprise win last year. American Hustle does have a good cast who turn in fine performances but the plot was convoluted & much of the picture wanders along aimlessly trying to find its raison d'etre. OK, that's an exaggeration but for an Oscar frontrunner, I have never seen more negative comments about a movie as there are for American Hustle here on our local movie review site. And some of them are vicious, people absolutely hate it.

So I stick by my prediction but I wouldn't put one dollar on it. Gravity has the aura of a prize winning film but who knows what the voters are looking for.

Argo is a very good flick, 5x better than that gravity rubbish (worst script of 2013 of any of the major flics)

The Wolf of Wall Street is an infinitely better movie than Gravity - 3hrs and it really never dragged. (only the very end scene i didnt like) - i cant say that about Gravity.... omg... are we there yet?

American Hustle i really enjoyed as well and i would put it a street ahead of Gravity. (although i admit the first half was a little slow)

Seriously.. Gravity ... why oh why pacman - have you even seen it ??? the script is shocking!!!! :huh:  How could it be voted on special effects alone? If that is the criteria i'm putting Transformers up for a recount as the fx, except for one scene, was extraordinary.

Noting justly that Avatar, another weak storyline with great fx, failed to beat The Hurt Locker which i found infinitely more satisfying.

Wolfey Wolfey Wolfey... :hi:

I liked Argo as well......still would have a hard time watching Gravity, not a big fan of Sandra Bullock but I DO like George Clooney and found it hard to believe he would appear in anything with her......so I may have to check it out someday.

Never saw Avatar, never will.....Hurt Locker was good but not great......as usual, with most films, I can wait for American Hustle and Wolf of Wall street to come to the small screen. Tried watching Captain Philips last night [literally the first weekend since early September with NO football!!]  but the torrent was all messed up, had to download a new one.  Damn it, can't depend on piracy at all these days!  B)

I didn't say Argo was a bad film, it was a decent middle-of-the-road action drama with some tension that wasn't properly realised. IMO. As action flicks go it was OK but I was surprised it got the nod for Best Movie Oscar. I feel that way because it won in a year when I had seen better films. Better according to me of course. 

And I agree with Azza's comments about some of the dialogue in Gravity but given the overall impact of the film, the film rose above that defect. And of course I have seen it, it's the first film in 20 years or more I have seen twice. The second occasion was a different experience to the first, the first time in a small intimate theatre, the second on a megascreen. As to Azza's preference for American Hustle over Gravity there's nothing to say. In the matter of what we like in movies all opinions are valid. And having expressed my belief that Gravity would be a worthy winner I will leave it to the Academy to decide. And there won't be any gnashing of teeth on my part in the case of it losing, the more I read the critics articles about who they think deserves to win, the less sure I am about my choice. 

I am yet to see Wolf of Wall Street but I must say I am not encouraged by several very lacklustre reviews I have seen for it. A friend has watched a download of it & rates it very good but I need to decide for myself. Three hours in the cinema watching some tawdry anti-heroes, I hope Scorsese has delivered something good. At least there's quite a bit of nudity, that's a bit novel in a big production these days. And that Australian girl Margot Robbie, I don't remember her but she looks good.

I agree with JaiDee about Hurt Locker. Since when did that rate being Oscar material? Good but not great like the man said. Good luck watching Captain Philips, I'm interested in what you think. And how interesting is that article you posted the link to. It really appears the good captain had some sort of martyrdom wish to write a book & be a celebrity. He got his fame, I hope the crew deliver the truth. When I was watching it I kept having this feeling nagging at me that if there were pirates around, wouldn't he be taking more evasive action. Even the film gives the impression he's too much of goofy cowboy to be really serious about safe guarding his ship. Maybe I imagined that, it doesn't fit with a film that makes him out as a hero but I will say it anyway & see if anyone agrees with me.

Finally, I have said it before & I will say it again - Gravity has nothing in common with anything Sandra Bullock has ever appeared in before. Time to drop the bias & go see a good movie that has taken 700 million dollars at the box office. So far. It will go down in history as one the top money making films of all time & with good reason. American Hustle will never make the top 500. IMO.

The difference in quality between hurt locker and gravity is one is a clock watcher & and one was a suspenseful well made drama.

Money is no reflection of quality... Avatar was just woeful and its the best ever money wise. People dressed as cats running in a fantasy world... Give me a break... Japanese been making much better movies for years.

Back on Gravity, the dialogue is shameful but the story is even worse... Just poorly scripted and improbable sequence followed by another. It was a woeful attempt to do a modern day take on apollo 13.

Shame on you Mr Pacman!!

Avatar was just woeful and its the best ever money wise. People dressed as cats running in a fantasy world... Give me a break... Japanese been making much better movies for years.

Back on Gravity, the dialogue is shameful but the story is even worse... Just poorly scripted and improbable sequence followed by another. It was a woeful attempt to do a modern day take on apollo 13.

Great line!  Which is why I never saw it and never will;  as usual, not getting science fiction or as it's also known, ''fantasy.''  If I want fantasy I will go to Pattaya.

Jeeesh Azza, you are making me really NOT want to see Gravity! Too bad because I do like Clooney and he rarely makes a stinker, 'Batman' aside :(

Speaking of Clooney, a very underrated and little-seen film starring him came out in 2010 called The American;  I would recommend it and the Italian scenery is great.

12 years a slave looks good, I will definitely be seeing that.....but as usual, my flat-screen TV is where I wait and see all my movies, just can't get comfortable for 2+ hours in some small theater seat.

Edit;  Anyone see World War Z yet?   I have it but have yet to put it on.....

World War Z is an action flick, its ok. Certainly not horrible but nothing memorable.

Just saw the new Clancy, Shadow Recruit. Its ok, good action, some nice acting, plot is a muddled mess. All in all enjoyable. But I pay $3 here (Wednesday Matinee price) don't think I'd have such a high opinion if I paid $15 to see it in NYC.

Its "complicated". The producers have the rights to the Jack Ryan character but NOT to any further Jack Ryan books. So they have to make up their own story, and in this case its not as good as a real Clancy story.

I agree that Hunt For Red October is a classic, one of those movies that if you flip then channel and its on you just keep watching. Clancy's first book,  Red Storm Rising, is a great read. No one ever made that into a movie.

Shame on you Mr Pacman!!

I don't mind that we're a mile apart in our opinions about Gravity but when you start comparing it poorly with Apollo 13 I am lost for words. 

As for the "Shame on me" comment, let's see what the Academy decides. The very fact it has even been nominated must account for something. Or is it "shame on them" also...         :flirt2:

Jeeesh Azza, you are making me really NOT want to see Gravity! Too bad because I do like Clooney and he rarely makes a stinker, 'Batman' aside :(

I'm no big fan of Sci-Fi but I do like an entertaining film. And George hasn't made a stinker here either despite what some may think.

I think it might be best JaiDee for you not to see Gravity. That way when (or if) it wins the Academy Award for Best Movie you can ponder the wisdom of any future knee-jerk dislikes towards something you don't know about. And you'll never get over your disdain towards "fantasy" films if you don't give the good ones that come along a chance.

I do appreciate the danger associated with hyping a film too much. The more one recommends something, the greater the incentive there is for someone not to like it. It's the old "that'll teach'em for trying to tell me what to like" attitude. It's all too common in my experience.

Someone here on the forum must have enjoyed Gravity, surely? 

That way when (or if) it wins the Academy Award for Best Movie you can ponder the wisdom of any future knee-jerk dislikes towards something you don't know about. And you'll never get over your disdain towards "fantasy" films if you don't give the good ones that come along a chance.

Hey hey now, why all the animosity??  I have tried Star Trek and Star Wars before [pretty much the same, no?] and a few other fantasy/Sci-Fi films in my half-century on this earth, they are just not my thing!  Don't like so-called comedies either....frankly because they are very rarely funny, at least in my mind.  Everyone has different tastes Pacman, if you enjoy ALL movies in ALL genres, trust me, you are a rarity!

With that said, and as mentioned before, I will most likely see Gravity despite Azza's warnings.   If it was Ryan Gosling or Colin Farrell or some other new pretty boy in the lead role I'd likely skip it, but I am always willing to give George Clooney movies a chance.

Its "complicated". The producers have the rights to the Jack Ryan character but NOT to any further Jack Ryan books. So they have to make up their own story, and in this case its not as good as a real Clancy story.

I agree that Hunt For Red October is a classic, one of those movies that if you flip then channel and its on you just keep watching.

Yeah, that's true......Alec Baldwin was really good in that role, too bad he didn't stay on and make it into a franchise.  The one with Affleck was really pretty bad.   And Harrison Ford wasn't nearly as good as Baldwin was, although his 2 shots at it weren't horrible.

Sounds a lot like what happened with one of my favorite franchises, the Bourne deal.  *Someone* has the rights to those books and future screenplays, probably Ludlum's estate, and when Matt Damon dropped out after the 3rd one I thought that may be it.  The 4th one with Jeremy Renner was good,  but IMO not as good as the first three.

There is chatter that both may come back for the 5th one, which would be kinda cool.......same as Baldwin, you have to wonder why Matt Damon gave up after 3 movies which were popular and did well at the box office; staying on in that franchise for another 5 or 6 years while he was still young enough to pull it off seemed like a sound career move.

Red Storm Rising, is a great read. No one ever made that into a movie.

Couldnt agree any more Snick, a classic tale and the best of all of his works.

I always felt is was just too big for one movie. Perhaps a 2 or 3 part mini series but on the big screen would do it justice.

I don't mind that we're a mile apart in our opinions about Gravity but when you start comparing it poorly with Apollo 13 I am lost for words. 

As for the "Shame on me" comment, let's see what the Academy decides. The very fact it has even been nominated must account for something. Or is it "shame on them" also...         :flirt2:

I'm no big fan of Sci-Fi but I do like an entertaining film. And George hasn't made a stinker here either despite what some may think.

I think it might be best JaiDee for you not to see Gravity. That way when (or if) it wins the Academy Award for Best Movie you can ponder the wisdom of any future knee-jerk dislikes towards something you don't know about. And you'll never get over your disdain towards "fantasy" films if you don't give the good ones that come along a chance.

I do appreciate the danger associated with hyping a film too much. The more one recommends something, the greater the incentive there is for someone not to like it. It's the old "that'll teach'em for trying to tell me what to like" attitude. It's all too common in my experience.

Someone here on the forum must have enjoyed Gravity, surely? 

The reference to Apollo 13 is to do with one mishap following the next and the next..... too contrived and imho too stupid.

IMDB, which i respect, gives Gravity a great review score. If you look closely the movie polarises people.

A lot of 1 & 2 out of 10 and lots of 9 & 10's. I'm in the 1 & 2 camp.... just for the fx... as i said the script just doesnt cut it for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454468/awards?ref_=tt_awd

Highly nominated, yet doesnt get the nod for best picture in much at all, c'mon Paccy no way it can win the big one!! :character00292: