Smokes Are Cheap In Cambo

DownLoLarry

I smoke Winston and a carton of 200 is $5

Beer is cheap too :drinks:

Klang Beer Extra Strong & Smooth is $7.40 per case (330ml cans)

Angkor Beer is $10.50 per case

As is the case with virtually everything here which doesn't have a price tag, dual pricing is blatant, so it's best to ask a local friend to buy such things for you

:notfair:

Slightly off-topic--but not too much... If you want to bring a carton (10-packs or 20 packs?) of off-duty cigarettes as a gift for a Thai smoker, is there a brand that is much sought after (US or British)? In some countries, a carton of Marlboro's or Camels is appreciated. Or are these brands so cheap in Thailand that it's not worth bothering? I don't smoke so I have no idea on prices or taste. I know that at my end a carton of off-duty Camels was about US$33 last time I picked one up for a friend at the airport.

Regarding booze, I know that they drink so-called Thai whisky, but with the same idea as above, would a Thai boozer appreciate a Western whisky? I'm not talking about really fine stuff, more like something like Johnny Walker, al recognizable brand. Again, no idea there either on local prices or taste.

Thanks

Dabbler

• Upvote 1

In a few days this thread will be renamed to to something sch as the Cost of Goods in Cambo to broaden its scope. The objective is for this thread to be a resource for knowing what's cheaper in Thailand and what's cheaper in Cambo so we know what to buy where.

Keeping the original name for awhile so those who posted here can find it.

Well we've recently discovered contact lenses are cheaper in Thailand than they are in Cambodia. Apparently they are double the price in Cambodia. Go figure.

Thats not true...they are much cheaper in cambo......daily lenses are hard to get,but monthly and yearly lenses are much cheaper(10$ for yearly lenses)Glasses ,and frames cheaper too(or do I always get ripped off in thailand)

..daily lenses are hard to get

Daily disposables is what SS was referring to.

... I see my message for help filtered through SS :blink:

In Phnom Penh I found a number of optic shops (I visited 5 in total) were all asking a firm $1 each for the daily lenses and a discount for a bulk purchase of 180 was not forth-coming.

3 months supply in Cambodia is $180, whereas in Thailand 180 (the same brand I can get in the UK) I've got for 2800 Baht on numerous occasions, that's as good as half-price.

Pre-made glasses are cheap everywhere, even in the UK, but as I haven't enquired in Cambodia yet about glasses (for the short-sighted, me) I don't know the price differential. It would largely depend on the cost of the frames too, I guess.

Just as an add-on, in Pattaya's Thepprassit night market there is a stall (close to the middle, along the road) which has a vast range of both pre-made distance and pre-made reading glasses, cheap too.

• Upvote 1

... something like Johnny Walker.

A bottle of Johnny Walker Red Label was purchased at a Phnom Penh minimart for $12.50.

Later that evening in Classic nightclub the same bottle cost $49 and didn't include mixers :o

... but the show was very good B)

Daily disposables is what SS was referring to.

... I see my message for help filtered through SS :blink:

In Phnom Penh I found a number of optic shops (I visited 5 in total) were all asking a firm $1 each for the daily lenses and a discount for a bulk purchase of 180 was not forth-coming.

3 months supply in Cambodia is $180, whereas in Thailand 180 (the same brand I can get in the UK) I've got for 2800 Baht on numerous occasions, that's as good as half-price.

Pre-made glasses are cheap everywhere, even in the UK, but as I haven't enquired in Cambodia yet about glasses (for the short-sighted, me) I don't know the price differential. It would largely depend on the cost of the frames too, I guess.

Just as an add-on, in Pattaya's Thepprassit night market there is a stall (close to the middle, along the road) which has a vast range of both pre-made distance and pre-made reading glasses, cheap too.

Ok thanx Dixoncox-that clears that up....I visited 3 different shops looking for daily disposable lenses-they did not stock them ,only monthly and yearly-I made an inquiry about glasses and thought the prices of frames to be cheaper in PP than in Pattaya.

I don't like glasses and really hate contacts so I generally don't wear glasses even though I should especially if driving at night but I hardly ever do so.

I do have a couple of scratched pairs and find that it's better to wear none and all but buying glasses is somethig I just never thought about.

Riding in a tuk tuk in Siem reap, I saw a sign for $15 glasses which includes the lenses, frame, and exam so I bought them. Not sure what they'd cost in the LOS.

A bottle of Johnny Walker Red Label was purchased at a Phnom Penh minimart for $12.50.

Later that evening in Classic nightclub the same bottle cost $49 and didn't include mixers :o

... but the show was very good B)

Hi. Thanks for the info. So if it can be bought at the Minimart in PP, I suppose that it's probably the same deal in BKK and not worth bringing back as a gift. I think that it would cost more than $12.50 to buy it duty-free in the States.

D.

• 5 months later...

I'm not a cigarette smoker, but love a fine Cigar (Cuban's illegal in U.S.). Are there places to buy good cigars (preferably Cuban) in Siem Reap and Sihanoukville?

Cigarettes are extremely inexpensive in Cambodia; prices in US cents:

Local brand 0.32

L&M 0.40

Winston 0.60

Marlboro $1.15

sigarette and alcool there are very bad copy...cannot smoke this shit.....bleahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe you should consider quitting while it's still easier for you :p

A true hardened smoker doesn't get hung up about brands and such-like, as many cigs taste the same.

With regard to an earlier post I made when I stated a carton of 200 Winston was $5, well...

.. a shop was found in Phnom Penh where they could be bought for $4.75 per carton. They also had a special offer on at the time (I've not heard of an offer like this before) where if you returned the 10x empty packets and the carton they would give you 2 new cartons for the price of one on your next purchase.

That's 400 cigs for $4.75 :shok: But only while the offer lasted :rolleyes: