Thoughts on Thainglish

JaiDee

Just some random musings here, you can do with it as you will.

It pains me when I hear farangs in Thailand talking to the locals like they are 12 years old. This happens all over, but especially happens in the bar scene, where nightly you will overhear well-meaning but completely misguided westerners using what appears to be a combination of Thai, English, drunkenness and just plain stupidity to get their points across.

Typical sentence from said misguided, drunken farang to a bar girl; "me go with you room you, we do boom boom, I pay 1000 baht you."  Not understanding that the girl will understand, 99 times out of 100 [especially when money is involved] "Hey, want to do a short time with me back in your room? I will give you 1000 baht."

Other typical statements; "Where friend you?" "I no see you last night bar, where you go?" "You come room me 4 o'crock'' "Me boxing you", usually said with a chuckle but still sounds retarded...."I call you terephone, you no answer me why"?,"Him talk too much, yak yak maak maak", "You come see me {insert western country here}",   etc, etc.....if you've been to Thailand more than once you have surely heard this complete botching of 2 languages at one time and frankly it's oftentimes painful.

Some tips for people who may be inclined to talk like this, and again you can do with them as you will.

1] These guys sound like idiots. The Thai's think they sound like idiots, too.

2] You're not doing anyone any favors. While usually said with good intentions, you are actually setting a Thai person back by talking like this. They are kind and polite enough to learn our language; help them with it by teaching them proper pronunciation and the proper usage of pronouns in a well-mannered way. Doesn't mean you have to TELL them the proper usage; just talking the way you usually talk will be good enough, if spoken slowly.

3] Don't use slang; at all. Words like "quid" and "bucks" and even words like "buddy" and "mate" and ''cool"  are usually lost on Thai's. Baht, money, friend, are much better. There are many other examples and if you catch yourself using them, try and refrain.

4] Enunciate each word slowly and very clearly. IMO this should actually be the case while talking with anyone whose first language is not English.  As an east coast USA guy I tend to talk very fast, and will talk this way when addressing anyone else from the east coast of America. But when I become friendly with a Thai, or even a Swede or a Dane - hell, even a Welshman or a Scot - I slow it down dramatically.  Each....word....should....be....said.... slowly....and .....clearly. Not 3 seconds between each word, but maybe one?

Again, they have taken the time to learn our language, it's worth a few extra seconds to get your point across slowly to them so they understand exactly what you are saying and can perhaps learn from you.

This doesn't mean patronizing them or talking the way some of them do just in from the farm. And again, the amount of cringe-worthy  moments I have had over the years over-hearing some middle-aged farang talk like a 17-year old kid straight off the bus from Udon Thani pains me......but more just taking it slowly so they can understand every word you say and the proper way to say it. As a rule most Thai's seem to have a very good memory, and most of the people we will encounter in our travels are usually pretty bright as well; in the end their English will improve because of it and you will be helping them to do that.

Just my 2 satang's worth.

• Upvote 5

And one reason I will be taking in the Philippines only next trip, the girl I met there last trip speaks perfect English, apart that is from her American accent and using words like sidewalk & elevator etc etc :huh: , such a pleasant change to have a really good conversation

I will add that Im not knocking the Thai's here, there are plenty of girls with good English skills ( May from Famous Bar as an example), I think a lot of us who travel there many times should at least make an attempt to learn some Thai ( and I dont mean the "hello", "how are you" and "goodbye" bollocks) instead of being lazy bastards 

I have several friends who do speak the language and I have seen for myself first hand that it does pay dividends :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

My 2 trips to the Flips I was pretty amazed at how well they spoke English......one girl named Trisha sounded like she came from California, Valley Girl accent and all!  Annoying to some, refreshing to myself and some others. They "get" everything we say, first try, surely from growing up with way too much American T.V.

Still not enough reason to ever get me to go back there, though.

I agree it would be nice to know Thai, for many reasons not least of which it would be more polite to our hosts. The problem is, whenever we are in Thailand we become complacent and lazy because literally EVERY person we meet speaks English; from the girl behind the counter at the 7/11 [nit noi] to the most hardened bar girl or bar owner, they all speak our language. Yes, it is lazy for sure, but it makes us feel the need to learn Thai pretty non-existent.   I think if we moved to a place like Japan or Korea we'd have no choice to learn the local language, in Thailand, while surely convenient and it would have many advantages,  it's not such a necessity.

Jaidee... I thought you'd met Dav26 and the mayhem his jibberish lets loose.

Nope, can't say we've ever met.....but if he talks like some of the other punters I have heard in the bars over the years with their nonsensical tripe I'd prefer not to.

Ever considered Indo?

I had a helluva time in Bali, actually considering heading down to Ubud to chill out for a few weeks this winter. Lots of LB's and fun to be had in the Kuta area also.

I could see how some people would like the Flips, especially after having to deal with the topic of this thread for a dozen years....I had a friend move there 2 years ago from Pattaya just because he was fed up with the lack of English in Thailand.  It's just not for me; I tried it twice and prefer Thailand at this point, even with the sometimes-infuriating comprehension difficulties,.

And one reason I will be taking in the Philippines only next trip, the girl I met there last trip speaks perfect English.

This was a surprise for me too one of the LB's I met in Angeles actually sent me this message "Jim what are your plans for this evening ? Do you plan to go drinking again with your friends ? If so may I be invited ?" 

I had to show all my mates this and then it dawned on me ...... these people are gonna be harder to shake off give me the Thai's any day .

At least if I get the typical Thai message " I miss your dick " I can reply "My dick busy " 

I have to agree listening to some guys attempts at communicating in Thailand is a deeply painful experience that makes you wince , no wonder the Thai's think we are all thick .

And JaiDee you are missing a treat if you have never heard Dav26 in full flow , he has his own language complete with dialects and made up Thai songs .... seriously the funniest guy I've had the pleasure of meeting on my travels , you'd love him .

• Upvote 1

Never ever considered Indo, after nearly 40 trips to the LOS I decided to try the Phil's after hearing many ex pats in Pattaya saying it was the place to go now.

Even though I did not see a great deal of Manila in the 6 nights I was there I enjoyed what I saw and found the people very friendly.

Also the non P4P girl I spent time with is a delight and Im looking forward to spending time on Boracay Island (apparently one of the top 5 islands in the world) with her next time.

Also the Jeepneys are a lot cooler than Songkeaws, and theres a great place on Manila Bay to chill out with a few beers :drinks:

P.S. I would have took more pics but I dropped my camera in the ice bucket :crazy:

Anyways, better get back On Topic...Lol

post-136-0-70375600-1388847045_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-39843700-1388847134_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-23921200-1388847381_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-51238400-1388847606_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

3] Don't use slang; at all. Words like "quid" and "bucks" and even words like "buddy" and "mate" and ''cool"  are usually lost on Thai's. Baht, money, friend, are much better. There are many other examples and if you catch yourself using them, try and refrain.

I agree with your entire post but especially the advice to avoid slang. And you don't need to go to LOS to see locals confusing the hell out of visitors from non-English speaking countries. 

Australians talk slang a lot, we understand it perfectly but I have friends, well educated friends in some cases, who insist on talking to Asian waitresses in slang so thick it should be called a dialect. They leave the recipient utterly confused by what they have asked for & then complain in total bewilderment as to why they couldn't be understood.

Case in point - I was at an Asian restaurant before Xmas when the owner came over & my friend asked him: "ya gearin' up for Xmas?"

The poor guy couldn't even understand he was being asked a question. I said to him "you have no idea what he just said, have you".

He shook his head which only caused my friend to repeat what he said only this time he shouted it. He then started to yell the word "gearing" at the same time he was waving his arms about like he imagines gears to move.

I looked at the owner & said "he's asking you if you are ready for Xmas". The guy nodded & must have thought - all that fuss for a rhetorical question.

Being an Aussie my self I know what you are saying I used to get blank looks all the time and then my Thai mate

told me what i did wrong so now I try to speak I little Thai and I find they help me with the words. But I think we should

speak at least English (not Australian) when in a different  country.

Lets face it most English speaking country's haven't got a clue when we speak Aussie

And it does save us repeating our self's.   

While on the same subject I think we should all try to learn some Thai or the country you are in, it is good manners

after all we are in there house. 

Everything helps but as JaiDee said in the OP, just speak slower & enunciate the words. If they can hear properly pronounced words, they can usually understand them. 

It's the same with me & French. Street talk leaves me lost but slow pronunciation of words I am familiar with & it all comes back to me. Voila!

Case in point - I was at an Asian restaurant before Xmas when the owner came over & my friend asked him: "ya gearin' up for Xmas?"

The poor guy couldn't even understand he was being asked a question. I said to him "you have no idea what he just said, have you".

Gold Paccers. You have to love these everyday expressions that confuse the utter shit out of the poor folks.

Simplest one i found was "How ya' goin'?" ... Newbies are completly screwed with that one.

It is difficult to argue with any of JaiDee's points in his OP. I am sure, in fact certain, that I have used Thainglish on a number of occasions - I do however, think to myself after - why did I speak that way? It is a question of respect.......

And JaiDee you are missing a treat if you have never heard Dav26 in full flow , he has his own language complete with dialects and made up Thai songs .... seriously the funniest guy I've had the pleasure of meeting on my travels , you'd love him

Having just said that - I must agree with Jimslim - Dav26 is hilarious and great fun to spend time with. It is worth adding that he also shows the appropriate level of respect to the locals - they (mostly) love him..........

When I talk to anyone from US or Canada ,it fucks them right up when I say feardinkum

OMG Stool, you even write with an accent! The correct expression is "fair dinkum". Fair said with an Aussie accent does sound like fear.

For those who might not know how strong our accent can be, here's my favourite example:

Son:  "Mother, I came home to die".

Mother:  "Don't be silly dear, you came home yesterday".

It is difficult to argue with any of JaiDee's points in his OP. I am sure, in fact certain, that I have used Thainglish on a number of occasions - I do however, think to myself after - why did I speak that way? It is a question of respect.......

Good point ninewives......and for sure I have caught myself using Thainglish many times in the early years as well but stopped after hearing just how ridiculous it sounded from others. Talking how young locals talk, especially the newbies just off the bus from Issan, doesn't help them one bit and in fact makes us sound like we are patronizing them; so we have to learn to walk that fine line between respect and patronizing. IMO of course.

The last time I was in Sensations bar in Pattaya I heard more than one middle-aged British couple approach Pang the co-owner and the subject of some documentary over there, and who is now somewhat of a minor celebrity in the UK because of it. These people would stick out their hands for a shake and say very slowly  "Oh Pang, we see you TV, we want come bar you and say you we very happy to see show you in England", etc, etc...... I don't know her at all, but the look on her face was one of  "Are you people freaking retarded?  I understand English just fine and you don't need to talk to me like I am 5 years old''.    It was seriously painful to watch.

Happens nightly in Bangkok and Pattaya, just listen while some newfound lovers are walking down the street from a go-go bar back to his room; comical while at the same time infuriating.

Lets face it most English speaking country's haven't got a clue when we speak Aussie

And it does save us repeating our self's.   

Being a Yank I can understand Ozzie just fine,  but I can see how it would be difficult for a lot of people whose first language isn't English. Lots of "fucks" and "mates" and slang talk, especially once the beer starts flowing LOL......Scots are the same of course, and I have met many who leave me bewildered once they get a few suds up in them.

Not to pat my fellow Yanks on the back TOO much,  but from what I have heard from other nationalities we and the non-french Canadians are the easiest to understand. I have a good friend who is from Denmark, he was dating an English girl from east London, a self-proclaimed '''ghetto rat''.  Even *I* had a hard time understanding her at times. He used to tell me many times "It's so much easier listening to you talk than Alice; I understand every word you say,  but with her it's maybe half."  Speaking slowly and pronouncing every word very clearly, even with Euro's but especially with the Thai's,  is the key in my opinion.

• 4 months later...