Phnom Penh update

xyzzy

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Strangely enough there is a Bar called 136 Bar that is on the corner of Street 130.

But the bar with the ladyboys is diagonally across form the bar that was called Candy Bar for a few years.  Now Candy Bar has moved back to its original location. 

If you look at the video, it is shown in like the first 10 seconds of it,  I will try to send a link to it later  when I get back on my laptop 

https://youtu.be/xONe8OcRhx4

15 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

I always get confused as to which is Madame Butterfly and which is Mr Butterfly but the one where the bbq pork shop used to be had a high ratio of ladyboys as of October 2017.  Of the two Butterflys, the one closest to river has many more ladyboys.

Assuming this map (2018) is anywhere near accurate:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Madam+Butterfly+Bar/@11.5711824,104.9284921,20z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3109514f37e833e3:0x67efb553b0b5ca4!8m2!3d11.5712205!4d104.9287201

The Google Street View pictures are about five years old (2013). 50% of the bars have likely changed names since then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Assuming this map (2018) is anywhere near accurate:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Madam+Butterfly+Bar/@11.5711824,104.9284921,20z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3109514f37e833e3:0x67efb553b0b5ca4!8m2!3d11.5712205!4d104.9287201

The Google Street View pictures are about five years old (2013). 50% of the bars have likely changed names since then.

Thanks, that must be the one 

pplb1.jpg

pplb2.jpg

Phnom Penh: On March 30 at 2:20 am, three ladyboys were arrested after trying to steal iPhone 6 plus from a drunk man who was sleeping in a car parked on street no.183, Sangkat Tumnup Teuk, Khan Chamkarmorn, Phnom Penh. 

The three ladyboy suspects were identified as Souy Sopheap called Aya, 23 years old, Adsa, 28 years old, and Soka, 23 years old. They are all workers at a beauty salon. 

• 2 months later...

Madame Butterfly (more ladyboys than Mr Butterfly across the street) has a happy hour before 9PM with 50 cent (16 baht) drafts.

50.jpeg

After 9PM it goes up to a buck (32 baht).

These prices contrast well with bars that don't have draft and the cheapest option are 2 buck cans.  Hey, if you are having a good time it doesn't matter too much if it is 16 baht or 64 baht but if I open the door but don't like what I see and am having a beer to just be polite, then I like the cheaper option.

Outdoors at Mr Butterfly is a good vantage point to survey the ladyboy/bargirl action since it at the epicenter of action at the intersection of of Street 136 and Street 5.

Ostro Bar is also at the corner and has 75 cent drafts before 7PM.  The advantage of Ostro is that they don't have bargirls and bargirls can't harass you. Giant TV screen for sports. Sydney John turned me on to that joint. :drinks:

But at 7PM the price goes up to 1.75 USD. 

Down the street at Street 130 and Street 5 the New Mekong Bar has 75 cent draft 24/7; another bar SJ turned me onto.  It's not just the price that's appealing but you can sit there un-harassed sipping your brewski. That intersection is only a minute away, and good for a chinwag with a mate, but doesn't offer the drama of Street 136. It has a couple of smallish TV screens.

On Street 104, the only bar with dollar drafts is Matilda Bar.

There are expat joints elsewhere  with 50 cent drafts all day. all night but the above are some cheap options in the girly bar areas.

No matter how cheap the draft is, those things called ladydrinks will set you back $3.50 in most joints.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

good to have recent info. I was in PP twice on my long stay trip recently. Nothing to do. One time I only stayed 4 days. It was the damn Water Moon festival and the place was a madhouse. Boogied up to KC for a bit and returned, but as I had no idea where ladyboys would be easily found I went back to Bkk. That intersection sounds like at least a good time for people watching and a few beers. And who knows?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

There is a late night street street eatery which serves BBQ pork on rice for 5000 riel located near the corner of Street 15 and Street 144.  It is ever so slightly down Street 144 in the direction of Street 13.

Went there twice and both times I was the only barang there. packed with Khmer so I reckon it's a good deal, The pork seems tastier than the joint that used to be at the corner of Street 136 and Street 5.

Was down on Street 104 the other night.  Matilda Bar has closed and is renamed Nana Bar.  Although many hostess bars have cheap happy hours, Matilda Bar had all night dollar(32 baht)  draft beer.  The most typical non-happy hour draft price is a buck and half (48 baht).  Most typical price for a ladydrink is $3.50 (112 baht).

• 4 weeks later...

Was on a street that I rarely traverse for a pub quiz and stumbled upon a gay bar called the Tool Box with a couple of semi mincers sitting out front so I decided to self investigate.  The layout of the bar is good but sadly I think most of our forum members will find the femmiest boys there still a bridge too far.  But for those interested :homoswitch: it's on Street 174 between Norodom and Street 51.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Was on a street that I rarely traverse for a pub quiz and stumbled upon a gay bar called the Tool Box with a couple of semi mincers sitting out front so I decided to self investigate.  The layout of the bar is good but sadly I think most of our forum members will find the femmiest boys there still a bridge too far.  But for those interested :homoswitch: it's on Street 174 between Norodom and Street 51.  

Stumbled? or went in search off ? :spiteful:

Tool Box is quite an apt name for a 'gay' bar, did you notice any of them carrying any big equipment? :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Yaska said:

Hello all, just wondering what’s the rate like now days? Bar fine, short time, long time, and whatever might occur. Just arrived today and pretty excited about this trip.

Barfines are $10 in most bars.

I'd suggest offering $25 to the girl.  She might say yes, or counter with $30.  

• 7 months later...

Cambodia is imposing a ban on foreign nationals arriving from Italy, Germany, Spain, France and the US commencing on St Paddy's Day and lasting for 30 days until after Khmer New Year.  All Cambodian schools are closed until April Fools Day but teachers suspect it will be until at least after Khmer New Year, same dates as Songkran.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...