Phnom Penh update

xyzzy

• 1 month later...

A few comments on my Phnom Penh adventure:BB/Pdogg  if you feel this should be a seperate TR please feel free to change it.

Used Bell bus service from Pattaya to BKK ...great door to door service.

All flights on the different airlines to PP delayed by 2 hours so landed in the light but by the time I left the airport it was dark...did not feel I had time to apply for the eVisa online.......Not that busy and got visa and through immigration in about 20 minutes. 

Bought a sim card which the sales people inserted and ensured everything including 1.5 gig internet was working.

My 1st observation is that the Camodians command of the English language is excellent making getting things done a lot easier.

No pressure inside the building re taxi or tuk tuk....outside about 12 car taxis lined up and only 1 Tuk Tuk in sight.......Taxis want $12.....tuk tuk $9......high in terms of amounts mentioned in this thread........because there so few tuk tuks about I decide to offer $7 which he accepts.

As we drive out the driver stops and tells me the tuk tuk needs water and pours the little left over the motor to show how hot it is.....wait a minute as he gets more water.

Traffic very busy........the Service stations remind me of South Africa with very modern mini marts attached to them........

2nd major obsevation is that the cars are left hand drive.......so need to remember to look the right way when crossing the street,

Have booked the OK Guest House in 258 Street about  3.6 kms from 130 Street.......all I am going to say is that it's ok for $13 a night you should'nt expect more but many differences to what is offered on the website.

A little tired so take it easy SSS and decide to take a small walk to try and find some LB bars in the 136 Street area.at about 11 pm.

In Pattaya I love walking because there is activity and the unexpected even if you are out of the main Nightlife areas.

Almost deserted here,,,,,,,,,,even the beach promenade until you get to 154 Street.

Find  street 136 which should have Lb's in Candy Bar Singer Bar and GBar....find Candy Bar but not the other 2......in a Mini Mart find the best Beef Pie I have had since leaving South Africa.

Candy Bar is the first bar I go into in Cambodia.1 customer outside 1 inside and about 14 "Ladies".....5 of them latch on to me 1 cutie and 4 I would have no interest in and they simply won't leave me alone making it really difficult to see if there any LB's..in retrospect I should have just told them I was only interested in LB's.

I drink my beer (Small draft $1.75) and can't wait to get out..

Go to to 130 Street and come across COCO bar seems dead quiet with 1 GG outside who suggests I have a look inside......very nice good airconditioning fairly busy...... draught Angkor $1.75 and buy the GG a Ladydrink $3.50.the GG gets $1,50 of that barfines are $10.

I see 2 potential LB's both busy.eventually chat to the one and mention my Candy Bar experience.her immediate reaction 'oh ladyboys there' so I ask if there any at COCO Bar and she is adamant there are none..............however I still suspect the pretty blonde there maybe a LB.specially once I heard her talk.......unfortunately she was busy.

Decided to call it a night at 1 am and take a better look around in daylight hours...Tuk Tuk.home $2.

Battling a bit reconverting dollars to Rials...to baht and SA Rand haha

Seems it's going to be necessary to start mongering a lot earlier than I do in LOS.the 136 area was not busy at all busy at midnight on a Saturday.

• Upvote 2

Bought a sim card which the sales people inserted and ensured everything including 1.5 gig internet was working.

I don't have a smartphone.

Can this type of Sim be put into a USB stickfor my laptop to use for backup internet service?

EA, not sure if I mentioned this in this thread or not and this is info from last October but at the Space Hair Salon draft bee is only 2000 riel, half a dollar before 7PM and a dollar afterward.

This is a rather gayish place but there is one ladyboy that hangs there around 8PM.

There are no barfines, and you don't have to buy anyone a drink as its a hair salon that morphs into a bar around sundown.

Great info EA.  :happy0065:   Should be useful to lots of guys!   :biggrin:

Oh! Pdogg I could do with a haircut....could you give me some idea where Space Bar Hair Salon is?

Lots of visa info was moved to another thread to keep this thread about the bars.

One of the posts moved had the answer to EA's question as well as lots of visa info, so will paste the Space Hair Salon info here:

xyzzy said:

It's on street 136 almost a couple of blocks off the river. It's directly across the street from the large/obvious Queen Wood Hotel. Yes really Queen Wood. :biggrin:

2nd day.....no sign of Lb's in my daytime wandering along The promenade or anywhere on the streets and Central Market.

SSS and leave the guest house for my nocturnal wanderings at 8:30 pm.

Seems negotiations are seriously needed in PP with everything from clothes...electronics coming down by 50%.

Moto(cycle) taxi $1...258 street to 104 street.This guy made the LOS taxi drivers seem like perfect road users....perhaps my life is worth more than the $2 more a Tuk Tuk would have been.

Find Big Mama and Top 10 bars and go into Top 10 to see if Tiara is there having messaged her via her LBR profile.2 GG's attach themselves to me and I ask if Tiara is there...both say no but 1 says she does work there and the other says not.Have 1 drink and when I leave see I had actually been in the bar next door to Top10....what a dickhead.

Anyway go back towards the river and go into Mama Bar...no sign of life outside but when I open the door there are about 25 girls and no other customers.Although they nearly all vie for my attention they are not over the top like Candy girls.

As luck has it I sit next to a GG who is not pushy excellent English...good to chat to.After a beer or 2 I ask her if there any LB's there....she says not...the 2 that were there have left.The 1 Lily is a friend of hers and now works next door at Matilda Bar.The GG very kindly pops next door to see if Lyly is there...no luck.We chat about what kind of LB I like and she confirms that Lyly would be a good match and gives me her number.

I decide to move onto investigate 110 Street...as I get near Ben Bar I spot an obvious LB at the bar next door but go into Ben Bar.

Naturally a couple of GG'S join me but I spot a very pretty LB sitting quietly at on of the King tables.Confirm with the GG that it is Keo.So ask her to join me....wow what a lovely LB she turns out to be....great to chat to in the bar and absolutely what I look for in and out of the room........my 1st Cambodian LB may well Bfine her again before I leave on Wednesday.....

• Upvote 2

outside about 12 car taxis lined up and only 1 Tuk Tuk in sight.......Taxis want $12.....tuk tuk $9......

Cars have always been $10 (including when I was there in December) and tuk tuks $7. But nothing lasts for ever.

Last night headed out early,,,,,about 6pm...........thought I would check out Space Hair Salon on pdogg's recommendation...thought I might get a haircut but it had already morphed into a bar which was even better because the draught beer was only $1.........with some sort of nuts as free snacks.

Very pleasant place to chill friendly owner and staff...........yes very gay but hey who's gonna complain if a cute femboy gives you a 2 minute back massage whilst you sip your cheap beer,............... to be continued............

post-212-0-49336600-1395740604_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I decide to wander up to Oscar 51 Bar in 51 street,an area I had not been into.

It was still early about 7:45 pm when I got there so almost nobody there although to my surprise the lady owner of the guest house I am in was sitting there.....so I sat and had a chat. he seems to work there most nights after working at the guest house all day.

She also had handed Keo back her ID document when I accompanied her to collect it that morning.......so she should know I'm into LB's.....eventually a LB joined us who pointed 2 others out.she maintains there are now 3 working there.

Perhaps they are very nice but physiclly held no attraction for me..........so I moved on just checking the area out.....Pontoon Bar .......Sorya centre no signs of other LB's so walked back to the 136 area to see what else I could find.

Landed up going down street 5 to Domino Bar where A ladyboy Called Diamond was standing outside and I wasted no time in going upstairsto the louge with her.....lovely girl easy to chat to,but the chemistry between us seemed more like very good friends.Perhaps I was spoilt by Keo the night before.....

We were joined by the only other LB in Domino Bar but I couldn't figure her name out something like Siry I think.Took pics and they were happy for me to put them on the internet....Diamond is on the left or on her own....there is certainly a huge shortage of punters at the moment.........to be Continued.......

post-212-0-59292100-1395741995_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-56274700-1395742138_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-40575200-1395742157_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I presume that beer photo was posted for my benefit.  Man forget the LBs, that looks a lot more inviting. :drinks:

Actually BB this place reminded me of you and PBG...........just a tad cheaper......2 Jugs of beer $3.......the Tuk Tuk driver took me there as a recommendation for good Khmer food.so naturally had to wash the very tasty Amok down with a couple of pints......post-212-0-61315900-1395791728_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

..Diamond is on the left or on her own....there is certainly a huge shortage of punters at the moment.........to be Continued.......

The ladyboy on the right is named Ano, nice girl.

If you are still in PP Eroticadventurer I strongly recommend A Mey, formerly of Big Mama, but now working at GPub in the Golden Soriya Mall.  I have been told that her and Lyly no longer work together at Big Mama as my jointbarfining of them ended up creating a bit of a feud between them.

• Upvote 2

The ladyboy on the right is named Ano, nice girl.

If you are still in PP Eroticadventurer I strongly recommend A Mey, formerly of Big Mama, but now working at GPub in the Golden Soriya Mall.  I have been told that her and Lyly no longer work together at Big Mama as my jointbarfining of them ended up creating a bit of a feud between them.

Home-wrecker :)

My original plan was for 6 nights in PP but I had such a pleasant time I ended up changing my flight and staying for 9 nights.  I stayed at the Golden House in Street 136 for my first 6 nights before moving over to River 108 Hotel which is in on St 108 across from the night market and just a few doors from the riverfront.  I was very impressed with River 108 and this will be my first choice when I return to PP again. 

Looks like a fantastic hotel!  Excellent location between the 104 bar area and 136 bar area.  But pricey so not for guys on a tight budget.

We have a link to it on Asia Hotel and Travel:

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/?p=566

• Upvote 1

CONTINUATION...........after leaving Dominos I head back to Ben Bar around the corner to see Keo.....again no punters in there and Keo seems pleased to see me but gives me a look that says "where the fuck have you been"........so I tell her.........seems at this stage she can only go short time so I decline and arrange to meet her for a night out on my last night............I am kinda tired grab a pie from Niel's Mini Market in 136 street..and head home.........by the way Neils Mini Market has chairs and tables outside so if you want to chill and watch the activity(It's a couple of doors down from 69 Bar) with  beer at Mini Market prices it's another option that Falangs were takng advantage of..........

Pictures below of :Ben Bar............Same Same but Different Bar 2 doors from Ben Bar which has 2 LB's in although I did not chat to them,,,,,,,,,,,,Neil's Mini Market...........69 Bar.............Conclusion to follow:

post-212-0-85131600-1395901729_thumb.jpgpost-212-0-09808500-1395901765_thumb.jpgpost-212-0-43430700-1395901806_thumb.jpgpost-212-0-95299900-1395901835_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Neil's has Gatorade G2, which I've never even seen in Thailand, which is essential in nursing my hangovers. :biggrin:  There is even a place in PP that sells Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Fat Tire. Probably need to be American to know those.  

• Upvote 1

Sheesh seems Neil's Mini art is more popular than the LB bars...............for me the attraction was the meat pies best I have had since leaving South Africa over 3 months ago.........aroy indeed!

CONCLUSION:

Probably a bit of an anti climax for those wanting more news on the LB bars because I had decided I would really like the last night with Keo.........having a few drinks .going to dinner ( I had not had any Khmer food yet)and taking it from there.......by this time I had established a good relationship with a Tuk Tuk driver who that day took me everywhere  I wanted and despite telling him to take another fare was always waiting outside no matter how long I took.......I think basically for his service from 12 am to 12 pm was less than $20 booked him for the ride to the airport $7.hE showed me where he ate,,,but was closed and recommended a restaurant for good Khmer food.

Although Keo said everything was up to me when I suggested trying Pretty Woman Bar she  did not seem that keen saying it's mainly Korean's that go there.So  we finished our drink at Ben Pub and left for Khmer Saravan restaurant on the river road close to 178 Street.Just in time happy hour 2 Draft Angkor $1........Fish Amok delicious $3,99.

Keo had not been to a LB show so I wanted to find Classic but my trusty Tuk Tuk Driver did not know it and another maintained that it had closed down,armed with Pdoggs address for it we wnt looking but never found it,

I t seems the Cambodian LB's are similar to Thais in that they do not like a lot of fuss so I decided to go back to 258 Street where I had spotted a pub which had it's own micro brewery.....Munich.very up market with lounge type seating inside and open air deck,OMG they also have a beer special after 9 pm buy 2 @ $1.95 each get 1 free lager or stout,Only tried the Lager very not clear but very drinkable.Unfortunately once the band started playing any conversation was impossible without shouting so  sometime after midnight we walked  half way down 258 street to my Guest house..........

Overall a great trip but a bit short...........the few LB's I met were lovely in everyway..........perhaps a bit shy and not keen to suggest places to go in case you don't like it..........swear quite a lot when talking to each other and I suspect know each other quite well.......food,drink and accommodation cheap.........would recommend staying close to the action ie 104 to 136 street.

The pay for LB's in salons is incredibly low...quoted $100 pm or $30 pm +food and accommodation.........In bars they seem to either get none of the $10 barfine or $0.50 however the $1,50 per ladydrink they get mounts up and one GG I chatted to was quite happy on her earnings from that and not interested in going with customers.

Looking forward to my next visa run..................

If the mods or xyzzy feel my posts have hijacked this thread in any way please feel free to move them into a separate trip report.

Pics attached of ..........Candy Bar...........Top 10 Bar...........Big Mama Bar & Matida Pub next door ......Munik Poster ........Tuk Tuk Driver Rom 016 597 951 only 9 digits on mobile numbers in Cambodia 

post-212-0-88085000-1395988702_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-89373000-1395988738_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-40818300-1395988776_thumb.jpg

post-212-0-08741300-1395988820_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Neil's has Gatorade G2, which I've never even seen in Thailand, which is essential in nursing my hangovers. :biggrin:  There is even a place in PP that sells Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Fat Tire. Probably need to be American to know those.

Not American but a huge fan of PNW- style very hoppy IPAs so love Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA , not big on pale ales though