Phnom Penh update

xyzzy

As for last night my adventure continued. Started off in Paddy Rice watching the F1 and having a couple of beers and a plate of fish and chips... note to self you come all the way to Cambodia and eat British grub... not clever. Then off to Island Bar. Nice place, well in reality the inside looks like any other bar but the hostesses don't rush you as you walk in the door. There must have been about 15 girls there and I was the only customer but it was relatively early (9pm). Got talking to one of the girls and she said the owner had given instructions not to hassle for girl drinks. Eventually got around to asking if there were any LBs here and she said four or five, obviously my LB radar is still malfunctioning.

But no problem as word must have got around that I'd asked as within five minutes I had three of them around me. The best looking in my humble opinion said her name was Anna or Annie (tall and slim - but aren't they all) and had been working there for three years so some of you might know her. She introduced me to her friend who she claimed had started working there just two days ago who even after quite a few beers looked rough and needed to invest in a better wig. Two others also came over but by that stage they were making fun of the way I pronounced their names and I half suspect they were just giving me rude Khmer words to repeat for their amusement.

Now a bit of backstory. Based upon my failings yesterday I devised a backup plan by using a reference in one of these threads to contact a LB on ThaiFriendly. She was the only Cambodian LB on the site and went by the name Llisalisa (so good they named her twice). She was now calling me regularly on my phone and being a gentleman I thought the least I could do was at least meet her knowing that Island Bar would be there if it didn't work out

Met Lisa outside Candy Bar. Nice looking, slim, great arse and two pert little falsies which convinced me that Wimbledon would be two balls short next year. Bi-lingual in that she users English and Khmer interchangeably in the same sentence and speaks 100 miles an hour. I eventually worked out she was saying she had a friend in the Say Now Bar (I think) further up 136 street. Stay clear of this place as it turned out to be a rip off, no LBs and my bill was padded. Couldn't be bothered to make a fuss and so left after about an hour which is when the real fun started.

Lisa it turns out had come on her moped so she tells me to hop on the back. Now I don't know if riding on the back of a moped driven by a LB in PP at night is on your bucket list but if it is make sure its at the end of the list otherwise you're unlikely to achieve any of the others. Off she goes holding a conversation with me at the same time which involves her turning her head and looking back at me rather than watching the traffic. After five minutes I realise she doesn't have any lights on but when I point this out it doesn't seem to bother her. I have no idea of the directions we took as my eyes were mostly closed throughout the journey but eventually we arrive at a place called the GL Lounge.

Lisa assures me this is normally frequented by up to 30 or 40 LBs. Tonight it seems from the party balloons and decorations that someone is having a birthday party but we seem to be the first guests to arrive. An hour later a few more drinks have been supped and the place has filled up (including the birthday boy) and the cabaret begins. First number is 'I Love You Baby' which the performers carry off pretty well even if the lip synching does require some work. As the show progresses it evolves into mostly Khmer songs and comedy skits which has Lisa laughing her head off although the punchlines are lost on me. Basically its a gay club frequented by locals (I could only see one other western face) and from what I could tell most of the patrons were either Femboys or Drag Queens. Not really my thing although Lisa did say that other nights there are lots more LBs. That said its large and glitzy and drinks prices were reasonable.

We roll out of the place at about 2am and back on the moped heading for the hotel. Well that was the plan but it becomes clear fairly quickly that Lisa has no idea where my hotel is. It is also clear to me that there is one male trait that LBs haven't yet forgotten which is a refusal to ask directions when they are lost. Eventual more by luck than judgement we find the place. One final problem is she doesn't want to leave her moped outside the hotel, off we go again to a 'shop' she knows where I discover there is a facility to leave your moped overnight under the watchful eye of some security guards. Another 30 minute wait on a street corner trying to wave down non-existent taxis or tuk-tuks and eventually we go three up on the back of a motorbike back to the hotel.

I said i was a gentleman so won't go into details on the events that followed. Lets just say that while every bit about her is functioning Lisa is more suited to be a bottom than a top, not a problem for me. She stayed the whole night and was in no rush to leave the next morning. She is certainly fun, knows how to party (which I'm sure appeals to most of you on here) however for me at my age I probably could do with a slightly less hectic lifestyle and so while immensely enjoyable as a one-off and providing stories to tell the grandkids (well maybe not) I will probably not be reliving that experience again.

The search goes on....  but isn't that the fun of it... probably taking a night off tonight but I'll let you know as soon as I hit the trail again...

Footnote: Continuing to exchange messages with Tiara. Says she no longer does the bar scene and just relies on dating sites.

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, UKSmooooth said:

Appreciate the hotel advice. Will be coming back through PP in a weeks time after visiting Siem Reap so wil check out your suggestions.l 

I haven't been to Siem Reap since 2011 but was quite happy with the Ta Phrom Hotel.   It's a quite a nice hotel with free breakfast, a short walk to Pub Street , near where the rather sketchy freelance ladyboys hangout on the benches near the river and seems well within your budget.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/9-cambodia-accommodation/#entry388

There is now a ladyboy cabaret in a different area of town; you'll need to take a tuk tuk.

To get to Angkor Wat, you can arrange with a tuk tuk driver you like the night before.  I asked a few the day before and picked one who gave off good vibes.  I'd suggest that you go very early in the morning, about 5AM, not so much to see the sunrise over Angkor but rather starting around 9AM it gets hotter than hell there and a good driver will know the correct order of palces depending the time of day , for example the Baton Temple my favorite, is rather shady, so not too hot.

Tuk tuk should be around 15 bucks for the entire day at Angkor, round trip.

I bought a one day ticket, and that was enough for me.  

Since you're coming back to PP; here's a few hotels to check out on our sister site, Asia Hotel and Travel:

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UKSmooooth said:

Thanks again for the hotel advice. Just in the process of booking. How about the best way of getting there from PP? I could jump on a flight or is the bus a worthwhile experience to see a bit of Cambodia? 

If taking the bus, I recommend Giant Ibis. Slightly more expensive but well worth it.  Their office is on Street 106 between the River and Street 13 just a minute away from the ladyboys on Street 104.

http://www.giantibis.com

Second choice for a bus is Mekong Express.

Maybe take the bus one way and see how you like it.  The trip isn't all that scenic though.  With the plane you'll want to arrive at the airport two hours early so your saving only about 3 hours or so.  

Often it's better to book directly with a hotel. But sometimes it's better to use Booking.com or Agoda. Best to check all three possibilities.  If using Booking.com or Agoda we'd appreciate if guys use the Agoda links or Booking.com links on our sister site Asia hotel and Travel http://www.AsiaHotelAndTravel.com

Have fun!

1 hour ago, bumblebee said:

Have a great time in Siem Reap and looking forward to reading about it as not been there myself in 6 years or so.

Yes Siem  Reap is a great little place to just chill  out  and relax,  and like  PD  1 day at AW  was enough for me but others I met spent 5 days there  and never got bored and btw I never did see any ladyboys on the benches In the park by the river and I went many times at different  hours 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, globetrotter said:

Yes Siem  Reap is a great little place to just choose out  and relax,  and like  PD  1 day at AW  was enough for me but others I met spent 5 days there  and never got bored and btw I never did see any ladyboys on the benches In the park by the river and I went many times at different  hours 

It's possible they cracked down by the River due to robberies. I recall seeing them there around midnight.

Yup, some people go back to Angkor to explore every nook and cranny.  I know one guy who's been there a dozen times. It does get hot there, so suggest you bring a cap and bottled water though of course you can buy water there.

Some people go to Angkor before sunrise, then leave around 10AM, go back to their hotel and then return around 3:30 PM.  You just have to make clear to the tuk tuk driver that you'll be doing this.  Some tuk tuk drivers will go out of their way to be helpful if they think they can sang a 5 day customer. Others might not just show up in the afternoon if you've already paid them. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

It's possible they cracked down by the River due to robberies. I recall seeing them there around midnight.

Yup, some people go back to Angkor to explore every nook and cranny.  I know one guy who's been there a dozen times. It does get hot there, so suggest you bring a cap and bottled water though of course you can buy water there.

Some people go to Angkoor before sunrise, then leave around 10AM, go back to their hotel and then return around 3:30 PM.  You just have to make clear to the tuk tuk driver that you'll be doing this.  Some tuk tuk drivers will go out of their way to be helpful if they think they can sang a 5 day customer. Others might not just show up in the afternoon if you've already paid them. 

Yes I went early morning to avoid the heat and it was boiling by 9 am left  by  about  noon as I had seen enough  and it was just too hot,  btw as I said I didn't see any LBs by the river but I did have one from Pub street take me down there by the bridge for a little  outdoor  oral gratification 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

Any idea how kilos of luggage is included with that price and how much excess baggage costs?

Can't find the info o ntheir website.

20kg but exess i dont no..   There have a office at Siem reap Domestic Airport 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Hi All, I've not posted for a while but recently spent a week in PP so I thought I'd provide a bit of an update on the current lb scene.  As I had two mates in town most of my nights prior to midnight were spent with gg company, not that they mind my lbs, it's just that the hostess bars with lbs on staff are generally low rent places of a lesser standard and don't typically have the best ggs on staff.  The best quality gg hostess bars very rarely have a ladyboy on staff, unfortunately,  After my mates called it a night each evening I did a bit of exploring around the bars and hit all the usual places being streets 136, 5, 130, 118, 110 and 104.  

Basically, in respect to hostess bars, almost all the ladyboy action is on 136 at the moment.  I had initially been quite saddened to learn my favourite bbq pork shop on the corner of 136 and 5 had been converted into another hostess bar until I poked my head in the door and was greeted by several lbs, some quite stunning too.  The new bar is named Madame Butterfly and is directly opposite the bar Mr Butterfly, both these bars are owned by a Khmer lady who also owns Candy Bar which is just over the road on 136.  All these 3 bars employ lbs and they all seem to just float around from bar to bar.  A great spot to sit is out the front of Madame Butterfly on the outside tables on the 136 side.  Once the lbs know you are interested they will come from everywhere, word seems to spread right along the street. There are also a few lbs at other bars along 136, and a lot of fresh new ones I met for the first time.

As for lbs on streets 130, 110 and 118, which are in relatively close proximity to 136, they were few and far between, Island bar still has a couple.  Street 104 is barely a shadow of its former self and I only popped over there a couple of times, seems to be completely dead these days.

I made a couple of runs over to street 51 and had a look in both the Heart and Pontoon, the Heart is still largely a gay club these days,  as for Pontoon I was too drunk to make any honest assessment, however both nights I went there I ended up back at 136 which suggests lbs are still likely banned, other than a couple of old stagers who aren't worth bothering with.

I stayed in a river view suite at the River108 hotel which is just next to the night market, I've generally stayed at this hotel for about the past 4 years as its always been good value, although the rooms are now starting to become a little dated and they no longer are partnered with the Fish restaurant for breakfasts or room service, which was a little disappointing.  However I'll continue to return for the simple reason that they don't give a fuck how many girls you bring back.  On my first night I was like a kid in a candy store on 136 and I ended up having 4 lbs stay over in my room and they didn't object.  I'd be tempted to return to the Golden House hotel on 136, given its proximity to the best lb bars now, however I find these days I need some distance between myself and the madness, or I end up losing the plot and going on endless benders.  At least on st 108 I'm a 5 minute walk away which is far enough away to avoid temptation and maintain your sanity.

The rest of my trip, 10 days in Thailand, was a train wreck due to various health issues, had to cancel a trip to Chiang Mai and spent most of my time holed up at the Dynasty Grande in Bangkok. Had to visit Bumrungrad twice and they tore me a new one with their bills.

The PP updates have been few and far between lately so I hope any other guys who visit add their 2 cents worth to the thread.

cheers

Premier

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, premier said:

I had initially been quite saddened to learn my favourite bbq pork shop on the corner of 136 and 5 had been converted into another hostess bar

Thanks for the update. No more 24 hours emergency meals on the corner, shocking. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2017 at 6:12 PM, premier said:

Hi All, I've not posted for a while but recently spent a week in PP so I thought I'd provide a bit of an update on the current  After my mates called it a night each evening I did a bit of exploring around the bars and hit all the usual places being streets 136, 5, 130, 118, 110 and 104.  

Basically, in respect to hostess bars, almost all the ladyboy action is on 136 at the moment.  I had initially been quite saddened to learn my favourite bbq pork shop on the corner of 136 and 5 had been converted into another hostess bar until I poked my head in the door and was greeted by several lbs, some quite stunning too.  The new bar is named Madame Butterfly and is directly opposite the bar Mr Butterfly, both these bars are owned by a Khmer lady who also owns Candy Bar which is just over the road on 136.  All these 3 bars employ lbs and they all seem to just float around from bar to bar.  A great spot to sit is out the front of Madame Butterfly on the outside tables on the 136 side.  Once the lbs know you are interested they will come from everywhere, word seems to spread right along the street. There are also a few lbs at other bars along 136, and a lot of fresh new ones I met for the first time.

As for lbs on streets 130, 110 and 118, which are in relatively close proximity to 136, they were few and far between, Island bar still has a couple.  Street 104 is barely a shadow of its former self and I only popped over there a couple of times, seems to be completely dead these days.

I concur with everything Premier said.

Candy Bar and Madame Butterfly have the most ladyboys, though I wish the pork and rice joint was still there.

Island Bar on 118 seems to now appeal to the Asian customer and only had one LB the night I went in.

Island Ladies Bar on 136 has a ladyboy on staff and draft beer is only a buck all night.  Standard price for draft in hostess bars is a buck and a half although in some bars the cheapest option is two bucks.

Obviously it doesn't matter much if a beer is one or two bucks, 35 vs 70 baht, if you enjoy the bar. But what's nice about 1 buck beers is u can just walk in anywhere, order a beer, and if u don't like the bar, drink half and leave.

Why Not Bar is a little gem on 136 between Street 5 and Street 13. Seems to have a few ladyboys freelancers floating around and the ladies there tend to be cute.  Inside, you can grope a bit and outside on the high seats you get a good view of the corner of 136 and 5 and the ladyboys floating around there. Easy name to remember given it's the same name as a Bangkok ladyboy bar.

Lady drinks are 3 and half in most bars but I would rather drink by myself than have the same same inane bar conversations.

If you just want to drink with mates, there are some non-hostess bars with 50 cent beers and 2 dollar jugs.

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2017 at 4:23 PM, Pdoggg said:

Island Ladies Bar on 136 has a ladyboy on staff and draft beer is only a buck all night.  Standard price for draft in hostess bars is a buck and a half although in some bars the cheapest option is two bucks.

Island Ladies Bar is now Alaska Bar with the same cute ladyboy on staff but beers are now a buck and a half.

But as mentioned above Candy Bar and Madame Buterfly have the most ladyboys. For those on a quick trip that's the path of least resistance.

Candy is open 24/7 but the lady boys seem there at night. They have a happy hour with 75 cent beers from 05:00 to 21:00. 

There is a ladyboy supposedly with a big dick who works at an outdoor beauty salon on Street 5 (between Street 130 and Street 136) who works there in the late morning and early afternoon but works at Candy at night.

4 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Island Ladies Bar is now Alaska Bar with the same cute ladyboy on staff but beers are now a buck and a half.

But as mentioned above Candy Bar and Madame Buterfly have the most ladyboys. For those on a quick trip that's the path of least resistance.

Candy is open 24/7 but the lady boys seem there at night. They have a happy hour with 75 cent beers from 05:00 to 21:00. 

There is a ladyboy supposedly with a big dick who works at an outdoor beauty salon on Street 5 (between Street 130 and Street 136) who works there in the late morning and early afternoon but works at Candy at night.

not sure if still a problem but beware of bill-padding at Candy bar, they tried it on me there,  albeit a few years ago

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2017 at 6:12 PM, premier said:

For Globetrotter:

I always get confused as to which is Madame Butterfly and which is Mr Butterfly but the one where the bbq pork shop used to be had a high ratio of ladyboys as of October 2017.  Of the two Butterflys, the one closest to river has many more ladyboys.

9 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

For Globetrotter:

I always get confused as to which is Madame Butterfly and which is Mr Butterfly but the one where the bbq pork shop used to be had a high ratio of ladyboys as of October 2017.  Of the two Butterflys, the one closest to river has many more ladyboys.

Its apparently the one across from The Corner 136 bar 

17 minutes ago, globetrotter said:

Its apparently the one across from The Corner 136 bar 

Strangely enough there is a Bar called 136 Bar that is on the corner of Street 130.

But the bar with the ladyboys is diagonally across form the bar that was called Candy Bar for a few years.  Now Candy Bar has moved back to its original location.