Airport transportation

Ernesto

If you take a tuk tuk from inside the airport it's $7.  (the driver probably keeps about $4).

However, unless it's raining heavily, I walk to the left about one extra minute, and go outside the airport and they are all VERY anxious to take you for $5.

There are now kiosks as soon as you exit the building selling various brands of Sim cards.  Price is better than in town and quite easy since u have your passport handy which is required to buy a Sim.

• 2 weeks later...

it is 10$ for a taxi and 7$ for a tuk tuk, choose tuk tuk since it can move easily through trafic.

do you stay at the lux riverside htl?

I had  a long term monthly rental.

Lux is across the street from Golden House and I would recommend the Golden House over the Lux.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/?p=86

Instead of paying $7 for a tuk tuk if you just walk one minute further towards the airport exit, you can get a tuk tuk for $5.

... choose tuk tuk since it can move easily through trafic.

if you get the air asia flight from Bangkok it lands at 16.25 , by the time you get out of the

airport its rush hour , traffic is very heavy .

worth paying a couple more dollars for a taxi rather than a tuk tuk .

I'd side with dimitri on this one.

Although a tuk-tuk ride is a little more dusty and minus the aircon you do miss out on the sights, smells and sounds of your new city. But primarily the tuk-tuk ride is much faster as they can navigate through the congestion far better than a normal road car (taxi) can.

Whatever ride you choose it is much easier and majorly less pushy at the airport than it used to be a few years ago. You do not get hounded on arrival anymore.

Re: SIM cards/networks: Pre-fix international dialing codes exist for all modern-day networks there so international dialing costs pennies, even less than a local call back home due to being channeled via the internet. Ask for the code at time of purchase if it's important, but they usually give you an info sheet or slip anyway. 

• Upvote 1

pdogg

I mean the LUX RIVERSIDE htl, OK rooms for 50$/night but the customers were shouting at their return from the bars at 3.00 like they were alone PLUS the building next to it was under reconstruction and the workers started at 8.30 and stopped at 5.30.

Found a deal at Cambodiana for 73$ and stayed there for the remaining time.

pdogg

I mean the LUX RIVERSIDE htl, OK rooms for 50$/night but the customers were shouting at their return from the bars at 3.00 like they were alone PLUS the building next to it was under reconstruction and the workers started at 8.30 and stopped at 5.30.

Found a deal at Cambodiana for 73$ and stayed there for the remaining time.

Yes, both the Lux Riverside and Golden House are on a noisy late night girlie bar street.

Cambodiana is a very nice upscale hotel about a 20 minute walk from these bars.

They have a pretty good monthly deal for their pool and fitness room if you're not staying there, think I paid 56 USD/mo.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/11-phnom-penh-accommodation/?p=490

Absolutely!

I love the tuk tuk ride from the airport.

The sights, smells and sounds are a great experience!

I walked out and got a cheap tuk tuk the first time I was in PP by myself. My first trip before that one with friends we also took a tuk tuk (say that 10 times fast).  :biggrin:  We went to the killing fields in a tuk tuk. But after doing it a few times the experience got old for me and was not worth the dust, fumes and heat. So I've taken a car into town ever since. But more power to those that still enjoy the ride.